Jumping ship

mamaofami

We will be taking a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on New Year's Eve with three other couples. We're heading to Key West and Cuba. Going on Majesty of the Sea which is old but a smaller ship.I have to admit that I'm nervous about the ship. The cabins are very small and it will be my first cruise on a different line. Any HAL fans ever cruise on her?

We will be taking a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on New Year's Eve with three other couples. We're heading to Key West and Cuba. Going on Majesty of the Sea which is old but a smaller ship.I have to admit that I'm nervous about the ship. The cabins are very small and it will be my first cruise on a different line. Any HAL fans ever cruise on her?
We were on MOS both times.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

I sailed Monarch of he seas, ( Majesty's sister?) We never returned to RCI , that being the only time we sailed RCI. . Cabins were silly small in comparison to other ships and crui se lines. The ir produt as a whole was not to our taste . Once was way more than enough for us.

Seeing you a re going with a group of friends you are sure to have a good t ime. One week in a small cabin is totallly doable." IMO You won't have the drudge of flying so it should be great fun.

Edited by sail7seas

I sailed Majesty a few years ago (2013) on a 4nt cruise - I had no real issues with he ship, and this was prior to her most recent refurb in 2018. I booked one of the Deluxe Oceanview on Deck 9 (Currently categorized by RCCL as a 2M - Spacious Oceanview), which are a bit bigger and have a small loveseat in the room. They have a slightly obstructed view, but I knew that and had no issue with it. I would not book a standard oceanview or interior on this ship. The overall experience was positive - decent food and friendly service, a variety or entertainment (fairly standard cruise line offerings) and pleasant, if slightly dated, decor. Ship was clean and well maintained. I especially enjoyed the live Latin band in Boleros each evening. I would sail her again without hesitation.

I took a five day cruise on MOS, with three of us in an OV. I used the bed that pulled down from the ceiling. The cabin probably was small, but I only remember it as cozy. The ship was fine enough. The outdoor promenade couldn’t hold a candle to those on most of the HAL ships, in terms of the flooring (not wood) or the number of lounge chairs, but at least we could walk some laps, as well as sit there looking out at the ocean. I expect that we’ll eventually sail her again, especially if she sails from Port Canaveral, and in the Summer.

I took a five day cruise on MOS, with three of us in an OV. I used the bed that pulled down from the ceiling. The cabin probably was small, but I only remember it as cozy. The ship was fine enough. The outdoor promenade couldn’t hold a candle to those on most of the HAL ships, in terms of the flooring (not wood) or the number of lounge chairs, but at least we could walk some laps, as well as sit there looking out at the ocean. I expect that we’ll eventually sail her again, especially if she sails from Port Canaveral, and in the Summer.

Royal is moving the Mariner of the Seas to Port Canaveral early next year to serve the 3/'4 night cruise market year round. She was the last of the 5 Voyager class vessels and nearly double the size of Majesty!!!!!! She also went a through a multi-million dollar refurb earlier this year to add additional family-friendly amenities (waterslides, childrens splash zone, themed mini-golf, flow-rider surf simulator, Virtual reality bungee trampolines, escape room, laser tag, Sports Bar, etc) Navigator of the Seas will replace Mariner in Miami on the same short runs and get the same "enhancements".

We have sailed on RCI many times. One reason we keep going back is the opportunity to use the coveted diamond & concierge lounges -- similar to airline executive lounges in airports. These lounges are great places to meet up with friends (with equal or greater loyalty status) and to nosh on nice continental breakfasts and great happy hours.

Nice places to escape the 'madding crowds'. ;-)

But, these lounges can get very crowded, especially during happy hours on longer & repositioning cruises and they have to expand into adjacent lounges - a less intimate experience.

But we really enjoyed the 2018 World Cruise on the ms Amsterdam and we've booked the 2020 77-Day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage on the ms Volendam.

While on HAL, we never missed the RCI lounges. lots of places to curl up with our Kindles.

I sailed Monarch of he seas, ( Majesty's sister?) We never returned to RCI , that being the only time we sailed RCI. . Cabins were silly small in comparison to other ships and crui se lines. The ir produt as a whole was not to our taste . Once was way more than enough for us.

Seeing you a re going with a group of friends you are sure to have a good t ime. One week in a small cabin is totallly doable." IMO You won't have the drudge of flying so it should be great fun.

That's because it's a Majesty...

Oldest, smallest ship and rooms.

Food is not HAL quality anyway, but everything else is better on other ships than on oldest

I was more unahppy with hRCI's style of service, than t he ship itself. they diedn't seem very profesionl to me vs. stewards on hAL and "X, (I hesitate to add princess)

"Hey , mahn want a drink? I don't like that, 'appproach. Aside e from the fact t I'm not "mahn, but a lady. :(

I was more unahppy with hRCI's style of service, than t he ship itself. they diedn't seem very profesionl to me vs. stewards on hAL and "X, (I hesitate to add princess)

"Hey , mahn want a drink? I don't like that, 'appproach. Aside e from the fact t I'm not "mahn, but a lady. :(

That sounds as unusual experience with RCCL...

Our first experience with Hal on Zuiderdam was also less than stellar especially for premium massmarket line. Room not done till we called at 1pm, 2.5 hours dinners with tons of errors. I’m glad we tried again albeit many years later.

In reality cruise lines have more similarities than differeces. I have sailed RCI twice once to Alaska and once on the Allure to the Carribean. Surprisingly I did not like the bigger ship. I am 66 and I found RCI to be geared to a younger crowd. The entertainment was fantastic. I found the daily activities offered to be lacking from my other experiences,

That is my general impression as well; but we are sailing Grandeur in February -- easy train ride to port as opposed to flight, and curiosity about sailing from Baltimore outweigh concerns.

I just wish HAL and X still sailed from New York in winter.

That is my general impression as well; but we are sailing Grandeur in February -- easy train ride to port as opposed to flight, and curiosity about sailing from Baltimore outweigh concerns.

I just wish HAL and X still sailed from New York in winter.

We sailed on her over Christmas and NY 2017/18 and will repeat this Christmas/NY. Smaller, but a very special ship.

I compare her to Veendam with weaker food, but better maintanance.

Ambiance is nice on both.

Our favorites are X and Princess.

We haven’t, Carol, but the Majesty is the one who used to do the Boston/Bermuda run I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven’t, Carol, but the Majesty is the one who used to do the Boston/Bermuda run I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was NCL Majesty , not Royal Caribbean.

NCL Majesty is smaller and older. Sailing with other line.

You too?! :eek:

Going on the Summit out of NJ in October.

Edited by Boytjie

I've cruised Majesty of the Seas twice, and had fun on both. It's definitely a different experience than Holland America. True, the cabins are small, and the ship is lots more crowded. The food is hit or miss, but if you ask your waiter, he'll be happy to help you decide on what to order (and what not to). The entertainment is actually better than HAL ships, though. The average passenger onboard will be younger, and louder and typically more likely to drink a lot.

Really, you have to go in with the understanding that this is not going to be the kind of cruise that you're used to. It's New Years, a new experience, you're with friends. Go have fun!

You too?! :eek:

Going on the Summit out of NJ in October.

Summit is Celebrity ship. Royal umbrella, but premium mass market, just like Holland America to Carnival (although Royal imho is better line in comparison to Carnival cruise line).

Celebrity is a very nice line. Not worse than Holland by any means.

We sailed on her over Christmas and NY 2017/18 and will repeat this Christmas/NY. Smaller, but a very special ship.

I compare her to Veendam with weaker food, but better maintanance.

Ambiance is nice on both.

Our favorites are X and Princess.

Good to get favorable feedback - I like the ship’s size, and can deal with less than top of the line food, given the convenience of the port. It is rare that all facets of a cruise are ideal.