Slow Roll Calls

mcrcruiser

We have a Dec 9 ,2018 cruise on Eurodam to the Mexican Riviera . That Roll Call has 16 people registered . However painfully very slow .almost inactive per se .

Then we have the March 17 ,2019 Koningsdam cruice ,Southern Caribbean ,a 10 night cruise .I launched the Roll Call with in the last several days .Still no active participants on the cruise .

I am sure that we will get a active Roll Call going for our 15 night Princess Hawaii cruise from San Pedro California ;which starts on Dec 4 ,2019 ;as we get a bit closer . The ship is the Star Princess

We have never seen Roll Calls this slow when we book either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruises

The question begs is the reason that Holland america draws a much older pax aboard(we are close to 80 each ) that those people are less active here on cruise critic or not at all active nor even members ;which is sad :loudcry:

You are not the only one who has noticed that HAL Roll Calls for the most part are slow. And it has nothing to do with the age of people.

A lot depends on itinerary. It seems like the Med cruises and some exotic cruises attract more people. On these cruises people are interested in private tours where as Caribbean cruises many people have done quite a bit and really aren't interested in any tours -- just doing their own thing.

I know that I don't bother joining Roll Calls as I don't care for playing games, slot pulls, cabin crawls, etc. which some people arrange on their Roll Calls. But that is just me.

I find that the shorter cruises do not have very active roll calls. Our Mar cruise has about 50 members & almost 1200 posts, it`s a 28 day cruise.

Allan

Edited by ski ww
correction

Some roll calls are all about setting up shore excursions. And others are totally dead. I think it just depends on who on your cruise is also on CC.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the roll call for my Oct. Panama Canal cruise. The person who started it seemed mainly interested in finding others interested in a shore excursion. That's great for those who are interested. But lately there have been three of us who have been just exchanging messages about cabins, price drops, Panama Canal cruises in general (one couple has been on many) etc. I'm enjoying it. I'm looking forward to meeting them on board.

You are not the only one who has noticed that HAL Roll Calls for the most part are slow. And it has nothing to do with the age of people.

A lot depends on itinerary. It seems like the Med cruises and some exotic cruises attract more people. On these cruises people are interested in private tours where as Caribbean cruises many people have done quite a bit and really aren't interested in any tours -- just doing their own thing.

I know that I don't bother joining Roll Calls as I don't care for playing games, slot pulls, cabin crawls, etc. which some people arrange on their Roll Calls. But that is just me.

I have been know to organize Crap Rolls on theships dice table ;because craps have much better odds than those dollar slots & especially on cruise ships . We have also organized Chinese Auctions for groups of 20 to 30 in a ships private room ;which is a load of FUN .Then there is a poker crawl going to 5 different ships bars ;which is another very FUN event & finally a raffle done in a cruise critic luncheon during the regular lunch time in the MDR . The group all sits together & has a blast

We can understand your non desire to do the mundane activities that have been going on for eons on cruise Roll Calls ,so I wanted show you the much different activities above ;but ,only can be achieved if people join the Roll Calls & expect to have FUN :p

I have been know to organize Crap Rolls on theships dice table ;because craps have much better odds than those dollar slots & especially on cruise ships . We have also organized Chinese Auctions for groups of 20 to 30 in a ships private room ;which is a load of FUN .Then there is a poker crawl going to 5 different ships bars ;which is another very FUN event & finally a raffle done in a cruise critic luncheon during the regular lunch time in the MDR . The group all sits together & has a blast

We can understand your non desire to do the mundane activities that have been going on for eons on cruise Roll Calls ,so I wanted show you the much different activities above ;but ,only can be achieved if people join the Roll Calls & expect to have FUN :p

Have you proposed organizing these kinds of events on your roll call? What was the response?

If you proposed these activities on my roll call, I don't think I'd respond. "Crap rolls?" "Chinese Auctions?" "Poker crawl?" I honestly don't even understand what you're talking about. It seems like some kind of foreign language to me.

If you proposed these activities on my roll call, I don't think I'd respond. "Crap rolls?" "Chinese Auctions?" "Poker crawl?" I honestly don't even understand what you're talking about. It seems like some kind of foreign language to me.

And something more suited to a stag/bachelor weekend in Vegas rather than a relaxing cruise at sea. Count me out!

Have you proposed organizing these kinds of events on your roll call? What was the response?

The thing to remember with any roll call activity is that NONE of them are mandatory. They are voluntary. So, if it's not of interest to you, no need to sign on. No one will be upset.

Normally when someone introduces a proposed activitity they explain how it works so that makes it easy to determine if you may enjoy it or not ;)

And good for those that do suggest or offer. Ideas are always a good thing:D There are usually some that do want to have a bit of fun and willing to try something new - especially if there are a lot of sea days.

I miss the “old days” when it came to roll calls. More getting to know one another and less setting up private excursions. I liked sharing about families and what we are looking forward to to on the cruise and not “I’m setting up this tour. Anyone interested in joining.” My roll call for our November cruise on the Noordam has unfortunately been mostly about private shore excursions and hardly anything about getting to know one another. Also, a good week is two or three posts. It’s crickets over there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The thing to remember with any roll call activity is that NONE of them are mandatory. They are voluntary. So, if it's not of interest to you, no need to sign on. No one will be upset.

Normally when someone introduces a proposed activitity they explain how it works so that makes it easy to determine if you may enjoy it or not ;)

And good for those that do suggest or offer. Ideas are always a good thing:D There are usually some that do want to have a bit of fun and willing to try something new - especially if there are a lot of sea days.

Perhaps it's a generational thing. After all, the OP said "The question begs is the reason that Holland america draws a much older pax aboard(we are close to 80 each ) that those people are less active here on cruise critic or not at all active nor even members ;which is sad"

I'm in my early 50s, and don't need games to meet people. I prefer to meet people on an excursion, or in a lounge or at dinner, and have a conversation.

Edited by cavecreekguy

I miss the “old days” when it came to roll calls. More getting to know one another and less setting up private excursions. I liked sharing about families and what we are looking forward to to on the cruise and not “I’m setting up this tour. Anyone interested in joining.” My roll call for our November cruise on the Noordam has unfortunately been mostly about private shore excursions and hardly anything about getting to know one another. Also, a good week is two or three posts. It’s crickets over there.

I guess we are all different. I enjoy roll calls but primarily want to talk about the cruise -- what are the interesting things to do in port, what should I know about the ship, etc.

To be honest, I really don't want to hear about others' interests (outside of cruising/travel), hobbies, daily lives or sick pets or relatives!

Perhaps it's a generational thing. After all, the OP said "The question begs is the reason that Holland america draws a much older pax aboard(we are close to 80 each ) that those people are less active here on cruise critic or not at all active nor even members ;which is sad"

I'm in my early 50s, and don't need games to meet people. I prefer to meet people on an excursion, or in a lounge or at dinner, and have a conversation.

I don't think it's a generational thing at all. It's all about what appeals to different people. While the activities mentioned wouldn't interest us most likely, I have no issue at all with them being suggested.

The 'games' are not so much as to meet people since you will have done that at the Meet and Greet but more for like minded people to share some time and fun together IMO. They don't replace the activities you mentioned at all.

Different people like different things and that's a good thing :). Life would be boring if we were all the same ;)

I miss the “old days” when it came to roll calls. More getting to know one another and less setting up private excursions. I liked sharing about families and what we are looking forward to to on the cruise and not “I’m setting up this tour. Anyone interested in joining.”

I couldn't agree with you more.

Perhaps 15 or so years ago the roll calls were more like that, and I met several people who I am still in contact with, and even what I would call friends. Right now I have been following 3 roll calls for cruises I have booked, but haven't joined any of them. When I get the daily e-mail of the previous day's posts it's all about private tours, and little else.

I figure if we're meant to meet, then it will happen outside of a CC get together.

I don't usually join roll calls either, but I typically do one or two 7-day cruises per year. For a 7 day cruise, it is all about relaxing and sightseeing. II do not expect to make any close friends doing such a short cruise, and I am not a big fan of doing private tours. I would rather book with HAL or another company. If there is a problem then I can blame a company instead of someone who told me that this tour would be "awesome."

If the 'old days' was discussing families - I am glad that era is over.

Annie

I don't think it's a generational thing at all. It's all about what appeals to different people. While the activities mentioned wouldn't interest us most likely, I have no issue at all with them being suggested.

The 'games' are not so much as to meet people since you will have done that at the Meet and Greet but more for like minded people to share some time and fun together IMO. They don't replace the activities you mentioned at all.

Different people like different things and that's a good thing :). Life would be boring if we were all the same ;)

Well said.

Different strokes for different folks.

Annie

The novelty has worn off. The idle chit chat and exchange of pleasantries gets old. Many of us have no interest in organized silly activities, spreadsheets, slot pulls or ringleaders.

Many of of us continue to lurk looking for private tours or DIY ideas. A lot of private tours organize behind the scenes of cruise critic after someone posts an offering and their email address.

Private tours are great, we enjoy sharing this with others.

If the 'old days' was discussing families - I am glad that era is over.

Annie

Yep, let’s keep it as impersonal as possible. That’s always the best way to go. Building relationships and friendships is soooo yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If this was a actual Roll Call that was active with many people ,we would then list all the FUN details .

The whole idea of these games is for all cruise critic members to have a fun group time aboard the ship . :p

If this was a actual Roll Call that was active with many people ,we would then list all the FUN details .

The whole idea of these games is for all cruise critic members to have a fun group time aboard the ship . :p

So, I will ask again: Have you proposed organizing these kinds of events on your roll call? What was the response?

I think we can tell from the responses on this thread that different folks are looking for different things from roll calls. Not everyone is looking for what you call FUN.

So, I will ask again: Have you proposed organizing these kinds of events on your roll call? What was the response?

I think we can tell from the responses on this thread that different folks are looking for different things from roll calls. Not everyone is looking for what you call FUN.

Yes when we have had active roll calls on past cruises ,we have had as many as 30 people signed up for a Craps Roll as one example .

Unfortunately HAL roll calls are generally dead with few exceptions .most of our 80 cruises have been on Celebrity & RCL ships . At least 50 of them with those 2 lines .Even Princess cruises have more active Roll Calls

It takes a lot of time & effort for any one to explain in detail the FUN activity & then signing up people on page after roll call page (copy paste & add names page after page ) . not every person has the interest to lead a FUN activity & that is OK . However ,we have been successful not only setting up FUN on board extra activities for CC members ;but ,we have saved people a lot of money doing successful private & interesting tours .It comes down to personal motivation