With one week to go, HAL *adds* another port in Iceland to the Viking Passage!

Turtles06

This year's Viking Passage aboard the Zuiderdam is set to sail from Copenhagen next Friday, August 24. My wife and I have long been booked on this (it's our first HAL cruise), and have been really excited about this amazing itinerary, and our chance to try HAL. Now, with just a week to go, what a surprise to awake this morning to an email from HAL overnight stating they've added another port in Iceland --Djupivogur, a tiny village (fewer than 500 people) in East Iceland. They moved another port back a day (Seydisfjordur), combining it with what had been a full day of scenic cruising. (Nothing else has changed.)

I am certainly not complaining about another opportunity to see a little bit more of Iceland (and I hope the weather lets us tender), though the addition of a port seems quite surprising at the very last minute. I don't spend my life anywhere near the Grassy Knoll, so I won't speculate on the possible reasons, I will just be excited about another port in Iceland!

BTW, has anyone been to Djupivogur? :)

Hi Turtles06,

We just disembarked Zuiderdam a couple of days ago - in Copenhagen - and, although we did not port at Djupivogur, we had 4 wonderful stops in Iceland including an overnight in Reykjavik (as well as 2 ports in Scotland in addition to the Faroe Islands and the Shetland Islands). Glorious weather, and the ship is in great condition ... this cruise was also our first with HAL, and we are extremely happy to have chosen it and discovered this "perfect fit" for us. Hope you experience the same fantastic weather we had, the excellent crew, and the wonderful beds in very comfortable cabins.

BON VOYAGE!:D

BTW...be prepared for the rather exorbitant pricing of internet at $25.95 per day (bargain price of $14.95 if you only want social media and no emailing), and laundry at $30 per small bag! Only negatives for us during this super cruise!

This year's Viking Passage aboard the Zuiderdam is set to sail from Copenhagen next Friday, August 24. My wife and I have long been booked on this (it's our first HAL cruise), and have been really excited about this amazing itinerary, and our chance to try HAL. Now, with just a week to go, what a surprise to awake this morning to an email from HAL overnight stating they've added another port in Iceland --Djupivogur, a tiny village (fewer than 500 people) in East Iceland. They moved another port back a day (Seydisfjordur), combining it with what had been a full day of scenic cruising. (Nothing else has changed.)

I am certainly not complaining about another opportunity to see a little bit more of Iceland (and I hope the weather lets us tender), though the addition of a port seems quite surprising at the very last minute. I don't spend my life anywhere near the Grassy Knoll, so I won't speculate on the possible reasons, I will just be excited about another port in Iceland!

BTW, has anyone been to Djupivogur? :)

Djupivogur is well described, indeed it is a tiny village. What you can do is walk around, see what life is like for those who live in this remote village, which appears austere even in the middle of summer, sample some interesting local food like "kleiner" - their cardamon-flavored fried donut like pastry in the local coffee shop. This is Viking country - the coffee was very good..

Best of all is the quirky array of dozens of stone birds egg sculptures that line the harbor that someone lovingly carved to larger scale for each species in various colors of stone The joys of this visit are the hidden and unexpected ones like finding a few neon pink flowers poking out of stark stone walls in this barren landscape.

You are pretty much at the edge of the habitable zone of Iceland and the North Arctic - that alone causes one to ponder a bit at this unique port stop. Even here, artistic expression and nature's beauty thrive in surprising ways. There may or may not be 4x4 adventures into the moonscape interior available here too - we just walked around. Grey, cold and misty on the day we wear their last year on the VOV. This is a port where one just is, and does not really go anywhere. And for that, it was a very memorable stop.

Best part, Prince Christian Sound and Greenland will be soon coming up.

We were there a few days ago (presently on the VOV). We enjoyed our day very much. Ol’Salt gave a good description of the town already but I want to add don’t miss JFS Handcraft. He’s not only talented, he’s a sweet and kind man and fun to chat with. IMG_9349.thumb.JPG.0a8eb6f777eb385e279a16e2e27930b8.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums