How much do you tip your butler and cabin attendant on a 12 day cruise?

KMACKCANADA

Hmmm...Lately I've been sailing on Seabourn, but both they and our TA have stated that tipping of guides is expected. Of course tipping is always discretionary. Those from cultures who do not believe in tipping should do what they want to do.

Edited by SLSD

Silversea Newbies here, awaiting our September embarkation. A few questions for those willing to share:

1. How does one calculate an appropriate donation amount to the crew welfare fund?

2. I know we will work our cabin steward silly, but what functions are performed by the butler?

3. What is this a about opting out of a charitable donation? Is this an obvious step when embarking, or do I have to make a special. Trip to the front desk?

Thank you for your insights.

1. There's no magic formula. I generally contribute around $10/day to the Fund, benefitting hundreds of crew.

2. Good question. I have never quite figured this out and could live happily without his/her hovering presence. Does light dusting. Replaces ice/water/drinks. Shines shoes. Serves room service meals.

3. You will get a notice in your suite. Simply stop by Reception to opt out. It takes around 30-45 seconds. I use that opportunity to register my contribution to Crew Welfare Fund (thus indicating to Reception staff that I'm not hopelessly cheap and uncaring.)

Who said you (as part of the non-American “world”) are supposed to feel guilty for not tipping on a cruise where tips are listed as included? We just have different cultural habits, different philosophies and views of whether to provide extra rewards to individuals who we know for a fact performed extraordinarily, vs. treating the ok crew member the same as the brilliant one, everyone equally. Of course mentioning their names in evaluations helps even more.

Just don’t ask, and don’t tell, if you see other pax tipping, no guilt required or expected, to each his culturally compliant own, be it personal tipping or crew fund, (which I previously noted is constructively a form of pre-tipping for the next cruise on the same ship, if crew know you contributed on the last trip).

The only non-tipping I have a problem with from any nationality is on land excursions, where tipping is NOT listed as included, and so many ( often most) pax walk right by the guides and bus drivers without tipping anything, especially in poorer countries where tips matter a lot. Pax forget or never read that guide tips are not covered.

It is now time for someone to chime in and tell us we spend too much time talking about unimportant things :)

Do you tip all the people who perform extraordinarily washing your sheets, working in the engine room, painting the ship so it looks perfect? They all contribute to the overall quality of your cruise just as much as those with whom you come in contact.

Do you tip all the people who perform extraordinarily washing your sheets, working in the engine room, painting the ship so it looks perfect? They all contribute to the overall quality of your cruise just as much as those with whom you come in contact.

I am not certain that I understand the spirit in which your question is asked, but it is precisely to recognize such (on a cruise largely invisible) people that I contribute to the Crew Welfare Fund.

I am not certain that I understand the spirit in which your question is asked, but it is precisely to recognize such (on a cruise largely invisible) people that I contribute to the Crew Welfare Fund.

I totally agree, and our timing of the donation to the Crew Welfare Fund always coincides with the return of the "donation" card for exactly the reason you state!

I appreciate this thread because, although I've sailed on Silversea eight times, I had no idea there was a Crew Fund. Not sure how I missed learning that. But I like the concept and will donate in the future.

Re tipping suite attendants, in the past I have tipped our butler/housekeeper sometimes and not tipped them other times. When I've tipped, the tip amounts are $100/$50. I've never tipped an SS bartender.

FTR, I'm an American. ;)

I appreciate this thread because, although I've sailed on Silversea eight times, I had no idea there was a Crew Fund. Not sure how I missed learning that. But I like the concept and will donate in the future.

Re tipping suite attendants, in the past I have tipped our butler/housekeeper sometimes and not tipped them other times. When I've tipped, the tip amounts are $100/$50. I've never tipped an SS bartender.

FTR, I'm an American. ;)

It’s not advertised and you either learn about it on CC or by word of mouth from other guests.

We actually found out from an onboard HR manager that we became acquainted with an asked what we could do with some unspent OBC. You cannot donate unspent OBC but you can purchase something and donate it to a crew raffle, with the raffle proceeds going to the crew welfare fund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s not advertised and you either learn about it on CC or by word of mouth from other guests.

We actually found out from an onboard HR manager that we became acquainted with an asked what we could do with some unspent OBC. You cannot donate unspent OBC but you can purchase something and donate it to a crew raffle, with the raffle proceeds going to the crew welfare fund.

@SilverSpectre ... Thank you for this additional info about how to use OBC to purchase something to benefit the crew fund.

I feel differently & I realize that people in non USA parts of this world have opposing views. Vive la difference. I think you have to do what makes you comfortable. I wouldn't knock anyone who didn't tip since it is clearly advertised "no tipping expected". I LIKE to show appreciation with a small token of thanks. Certainly not extravagant, but when I know that the housekeeper or butler is going out in port, I give them some cash to treat them to dinner or a pedicure or whatever. I also like to take one of those cute kits with eye shadow, moisturizers, etc that you get as a bonus with Clinique or Lancome, etc for the housekeeper. They usually really appreciate them & I always appreciate her hard work & good nature. I certainly don't expect anything extra & am quite sure we all get the same excellent level of service whether or not we tip.

This is a great idea! I always have so much of that and never know what to do with it. I will definitely keep them for my next cruise.

For them, i.e., people I do not see, there is part of the crew fund. Unfortunately some not so great crew (e.g., lousy or sexist waiters) will get part of that tip but I can live with it if the cruise was good overall, especially if in my evaluation I mention the people who were awful and why.

For great room stewards or butlers, especially those who save the day, there is a large tip, which is on top of whatever they are getting paid by the cruiseline, and praise in the evaluation, even if I will not likely ever see them again because I cruise several different lines.

For lousy stewards and butlers who lie to me about mechanical or technical issues to get out of work, and think I won’t be able to tell they are lying, there is nothing extra, but there is a complaint in the evaluation, and if this is a pattern, I go to another cruise line.

It actually is pretty easy to recognize known individuals of great merit without totally ignoring the unknown support people of merit.

One other comment about the hidden, lower paid crew: many would love to be up front, in the nicer areas or the potential tip zone, interfacing with pax and usually earning more to send home. But if the requirement is that they speak decent English, and be smart and proactive, and they neither speak English nor are smart, they usually will not be there. They get their decent but lower salary, and work hard, but until they improve their customer skills to a higher level, ( if they can) they will remain lower paid. Even if they do a great job with laundry, there are many around the world eager to work who can learn laundry fairly quickly without learning much English, but not many who can tactfully and articulately negotiate the demands of complaining luxury passengers in English. The latter simply get higher net compensation.

What I dislike is lines where each time you buy a drink they tack on a non-discretionary 18% service charge, on top of their salary, even though service was almost non-existent, like many times on Oceania last year, or in many cheaper European restaurants. Incentive is often lacking unless fear of getting fired is also high.

I appreciate this thread....

Re tipping suite attendants, in the past I have tipped our butler/housekeeper sometimes and not tipped them other times. When I've tipped, the tip amounts are $100/$50. ...;)

I appreciate this thread too. A great thread for Newbie.

Can you explain why you differentially tip the butler/housekeeper? I'm curious about what they do and how that translates to passenger's tip amounts.

Thanks.

We usually don't tip at all since I believe Silversea that all tips are included. That said if someone does something for us that is above what I would normally expect we give them something, say 20 or 40 dollars at the time. As an example on our last trip my wife twisted her ankle, when our butler saw this he started to bring ice packs he made from baggies to the cabin, he got a reward. As for the auto billing for the charity, when I read the info left in the cabin and asked at the front desk about it, it seemed OK so I left the 28$ in total on our bill. We do give all shore people something (porters, guides, drivers etc.) however sometimes there is a line of people with their hand out. In this case only the ones I recognize win. As for the crew fund, I tried to give the OBC however they would not allow it as it came from SS, next time I will try that raffle idea!

I appreciate this thread too. A great thread for Newbie.

Can you explain why you differentially tip the butler/housekeeper? I'm curious about what they do and how that translates to passenger's tip amounts.

Thanks.

In my experience, butlers spend much more time and effort providing services to passengers, e.g., providing information and answering questions, making reservations, delivering and serving room service meals, and a host of other services. They're the folks I rely to help me navigate everything from minor medical issues to laundry/cleaning to who's who on the ship. Not to mention the fact that they help me find all the stuff I'm constantly losing in my suite. And believe me, I can lose a pair of sunglasses between the door and the bathroom. ;)

In my experience, butlers spend much more time and effort providing services to passengers, e.g., providing information and answering questions, making reservations, delivering and serving room service meals, and a host of other services. They're the folks I rely to help me navigate everything from minor medical issues to laundry/cleaning to who's who on the ship. Not to mention the fact that they help me find all the stuff I'm constantly losing in my suite. And believe me, I can lose a pair of sunglasses between the door and the bathroom. ;)

People differ, and my experience is quite different. I rarely have questions, make my own reservations, rarely have room service, don't often lose stuff. Butlers are generally well-meaning (when not too pushy) but generally of little utility to me. The suite attendant on the other hand does the real work -- changing bed linen, cleaning toilets, cleaning bath/shower, vacuuming. They are my heroes and heroines.

One cruise I was on most of the crew were given DVD players for their cabins and these were bought via the Crew Welfare Fund. One night in port there was a crew party held ashore and this too was paid for by the fund. Apparently the party ended quite early because most of crew (who work so hard) wanted an early night and daren't have a hangover the next day.

My opinion the Crew Welfare Fund is the way to go.

The official rule is no tip expected, and you can contribute to the crew fund. However, if you do tip with cash, roughly $10 per day and tell the two staff who service your cabin to divide among themselves, they will appreciate it.

It is harder to tip the restaurant staff. Those without "bars" (rank) may accept cash, if you give it quietly, those with bars will usually decline and tell you to give to the crew fund.