Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

mcgratru

In our last two cruises, it was getting more difficult for my husband to handle his larger suitcase, so began packing nothing but the carry On's and we did fine. I fully understand when assisting others be it a wheel chair or using a walker, you can't be dealing with pulling luggage off the ship at the same time so easier to put out at night and get a Porter to assist you once off.

Exactly, I learned long ago to get my stuff into a carry on and a backpack. But that still means daughter will likely have a standard suitcase + 2 carry ons (one for medical stuff and one for normal stuff). The only thing that works for us it placing the standard case out.

Same thing happened to us,only at the terminal in NYC after disembarking the NCL Breakaway. Our bag had a bright orange luggage tag on it. Luckily the person realized it was the wrong bag when they were putting it in the car parked in the lot at the terminal.

I guess we do not have much luck with NCL cruises out of NYC.

A number of years ago, my DH and I were on the Dreamward. We had a female steward. One night ,as we were going to dinner, she complimented me on my outfit.

OK.

We packed our bags for disembarkation and they were taken from the passageway the night before we left the ship.

Before putting the bags outside, we did a clean sweep of the cabin, including drawers,closets and bathroom. The only items left were those we would need for the next day.

When we returned home, the outfit that the stewardess complimented me about was missing !

Was it coincidence ???

I am still looking for a pair of heels...that are easy to miss when you bring so shoes,:rolleyes: my female attendant mentioned more than once how beautiful they were and that she wore the same size as me.....

We'll never know, we'll we......

Nope - we worry more about catching a bug on the plane than an assault on our luggage. To help lessen he likelihood of someone mistakenly taking our bags we HAVE bought these weird green suitcases and always use bright luggage straps which not only help assure they stay closed, but also makes them very easy to spot... the vibrant handle-wraps and luggage tags helps as well. Like others we make sure we keep meds, documents in a carryon backpack. Use EZCheck where we have that option.

Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?:(

Had this happen at an airport once. The people checking the tags swore up and down that no one got out with my bag. I rolled a bag up to them and told them whoever's name was on this bag had mine. They still insisted it could not have happened. Unfortunately the tag did not have an address or phone. Next day I got the call from Delta and picked it up. Airport was next to work location. Took the time to walk over and find the "security" guard and showed her the bag that was mine that had gone by her. She had nothing to say.

As for on the ship, have always left them out with no problem and never had one taken in the port.

However, my DW when cruising with her friend did manage to lock themselves out of the room at 1 AM in their nighties when putting the luggage out late. (I think there was to much alcohol and club time involved.) After very embarrassing conversation, they did get back into the room. Lesson here is to make sure the door can not close behind you when in the hall!

I hate it, too - but not because I am particularly worried about theft. I am always afraid I will put some essential item in the bags to be collected - despite double and triple checking - and I will miss that item overnight or in the morning. I guess I am somewhat obsessive!

Last cruise I forgot to leave out my shoes. Thought I was going to have to wear my Princess slippers! Luckily my son had an extra pair in his carry-on. And luckily they weren’t way too big for Mom!

Embarrassing to tell my story but it’s kind of funny. Went to dinner last night of cruise, came back later (champagne may have been involved) and determined I didn’t need the clothes I was wearing or the ones that were sitting out. Wore my jammies to bed and realized when I woke the next day that was all I had left to wear off the ship. Clothes were gone. Wore my jammies to LAX and changed there. Needless to say I am ultra paranoid that I have my clothes out and a backup option so I don’t experience that again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This kind of freaks me out. Not only the idea that anyone going by in the hall could take it but that they can also just walk up and take it once off the ship.

We did this once on our first cruise and we could have taken any bag we wanted in the terminal without anyone stopping us.

It also means that our baggage has been out of our control between packing it and presenting it at airport security.

We have always self disembarked since (and only ever have one bag each) and always been early getting off.

Cruise in July out of FLL and don’t need to be off early as our flight is not until 3:00....is there later self disembark?

A friend of mind was so paranoid that a PAX would steal his luggage in the middle of the night after he put them outside his cabin, that before he went to bed tied fishline from his luggage to his big toe. When he felt a tug on his toe, it would wake him up. get out of bed, and go outside his cabin to be sure it was crew staff taking his luggage, and not some thieving PAX stealing his luggage. He does that routine on every cruise.

Maybe try that, if it will relieve your anxiety.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?:(

That happened to me at an airport carousel. I had a brightly colored nylon handle wrap velcroed to the luggage handle. I also had a tag with my name & address on handle. A man took my bag. I ran after him saying he had my luggage. My husband ran after me yelling that I was wrong! I stopped the man, looked at the tag and told him it was MY luggage. It was ... my name & address was on the label.

Grammy spo, that was the first thing we were told by friends for our 1st cruise, was to leave clothes out before going to bed so we had something to wear. I usually leave them on my night stand along with shoes.I also will do a final walk through to make sure nothing got missed.

Sometime look at the number of bags w brightly colored ribbons on them. There are lots of them. I once accidently took my rather unique looking suitcase with ribbons and didn't realize my mistake until I got to hotel room at 2 AM in the morning. To make it worse, the suitcase that was not mine did not have any ID either outside of or inside the suitcase. In my defense, it was really late, I had been flying all day (Las Vegas - Minneapolis - Anchorage - Fairbanks [don't ask why we went to Minneapolis]) and I was really tired.

Things got sorted out the next morning when I returned the suitcase to the airport and mine had already been returned. It was embarrassing however.

BTW - we never worry about leaving our luggage in the hall. Do it all the time.

DON

A friend of mind was so paranoid that a PAX would steal his luggage in the middle of the night after he put them outside his cabin, that before he went to bed tied fishline from his luggage to his big toe. When he felt a tug on his toe, it would wake him up. get out of bed, and go outside his cabin to be sure it was crew staff taking his luggage, and not some thieving PAX stealing his luggage. He does that routine on every cruise.

Maybe try that, if it will relieve your anxiety.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for an early morning laugh

If you wanted to worry you should be more concerned about the TSA at the airport. They essentially have complete access to your bags and I have had many small items like pocket knives stolen by the TSA. I have heard there is no cameras in the baggage inspection areas which makes it easy for those folks to slip small items in their pockets and you have little or no control over it. I would be less concerned of thief on board the ships, which after many cruises have never experienced a problem.

A friend of mind was so paranoid that a PAX would steal his luggage in the middle of the night after he put them outside his cabin, that before he went to bed tied fishline from his luggage to his big toe.

Not sure who would want my dirty clothes?

All the years on this board and I'm not aware of any issues being brought up with someone having luggage stolen or something stolen out of their luggage when it was left out at night. Anyone hear of any such incident?

I have not read thru all the posts..

But here is my strong suggestion...... if disembarking on a ship tour...I highly recommend you take your own luggage...not only will it save you time looking at the terminal, it will ensure you make your excursion.

Last July on Majestic....10 of us were still looking for luggage after the initial delivery of luggage for those on the tour....

We and another couple were the final 2 couples waiting....ours ended up coming 2 hours later from the ship, appropriate tag still attached theirs was taken by another person, I found this out later at the airport.....both of us missed the tour. Ours was a 28" bag theirs carry-on size, easy to make a mistake.

Suggestion that was made to me when relaying my story in the airport was to put duck tape on the top of your luggage when you put your luggage out at night...so if someone if helping you look it can be easily identified.

I have always used other identifiers but I thought this made great sense, especially after searching and having others help me search thru a sea of bags, in that chaotic terminal in Shanghai.

My $0.02 worth - security of contents of suitcases is compromised from the time you leave home until the time you arrive back. From airline staff to hotel staff to dockside porters to onboard staff, there are SO many people that have access that you must assume that nothing is safe. Our most recent trip, we found notes from the US TSA and from Princess notifying that our bags had been opened and inspected. So, assume that nothing is secure and keep all valuables in your carry-on.

As for leaving bag out night before, I was +++ impressed with Princess' organization during our departure from Royal Princess two weeks ago. We had a very early departure time (Cream 3) and were off the ship at the time promised, bags were neatly lined up in the terminal by colour/number group (YIKES - there are a LOT of black suitcases!) so quite easy to locate, we were through US customs in a jiffy, short taxi to FLL and we were checked in for our 11:30 flight shortly after 0800.

If you wanted to worry you should be more concerned about the TSA at the airport. They essentially have complete access to your bags and I have had many small items like pocket knives stolen by the TSA. I have heard there is no cameras in the baggage inspection areas which makes it easy for those folks to slip small items in their pockets and you have little or no control over it. I would be less concerned of thief on board the ships, which after many cruises have never experienced a problem.

Airport baggage area? Oh, yeah and verily!

TSA? Not necessarily -- 3D-printer files for the TSA keys are all over the internet.

We have never ever worried about things going missing from our luggage.

For starters, we don’t have anything but junk. I would hand carry any valuables including nice handbags with me.

In nearly 2 dozen + cruises nothing has gone missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embarrassing to tell my story but it’s kind of funny. Went to dinner last night of cruise, came back later (champagne may have been involved) and determined I didn’t need the clothes I was wearing or the ones that were sitting out. Wore my jammies to bed and realized when I woke the next day that was all I had left to wear off the ship. Clothes were gone. Wore my jammies to LAX and changed there. Needless to say I am ultra paranoid that I have my clothes out and a backup option so I don’t experience that again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always carry our luggage off the ship with us. That way you don’t have to look for your luggage. It’s so much better. I experienced someone taking my case when we flew to Brunei on our way to the Philippines. Luckily the airport was able to track it down and they returned my suitcase

Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you put your bags out in the hallway the night before disembarking, they you claim your bag at the port and head to the airport. Make your way to the airline ticket counter and check your bags in and the ticket agent says their script asking if you have fuel oil or explosives and ends with "...and have you been in control of your luggage or has anyone else had access to it since you packed it?"

What's the answer?