Insignia

fred 15

I am prone to seasickness. Any thoughts/experiences with it on such a small ship?

I've been on 2 small ships....my very first cruise and the last one (Oceania Insignia). I got horribly seasick on the first one, then learned about Seabands and ginger capsules. I've always used them since. But on large ships I never got sick, even when having an aft cabin. But last December, on Insignia, we had a rocky first sea day and despite my Seabands and ginger, I was very nauseous and spent the day lying in bed. Our cabin was midship on deck 6. As we got near land I ate a green apple and some crackers and started feeling better. The rest of our cruise was smooth and I had no more issues. I definitely think seasickness is not as much a problem on larger ships, so plan your strategy now so you'll be prepared.

I've been on 2 small ships....my very first cruise and the last one (Oceania Insignia). I got horribly seasick on the first one, then learned about Seabands and ginger capsules. I've always used them since. But on large ships I never got sick, even when having an aft cabin. But last December, on Insignia, we had a rocky first sea day and despite my Seabands and ginger, I was very nauseous and spent the day lying in bed. Our cabin was midship on deck 6. As we got near land I ate a green apple and some crackers and started feeling better. The rest of our cruise was smooth and I had no more issues. I definitely think seasickness is not as much a problem on larger ships, so plan your strategy now so you'll be prepared.

And if one can use them, the Transdermal Scopolamine patches help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm allergic to them, in addition to antihistamines. Trust me, after 29 yrs of sailing, I've tried everything.

My husband also cannot use them because of the interactions with blood pressure meds. Good luck with the alternatives!

I am not the most gourmet of cruisers, but we thought the food was fine! (This was our 8th O cruise, so you can tell we like the line!) we generally eat in the Grand Dining Room, go to tea regularly, and enjoy some lunches at Waves, also. We appreciate the sugar free choices and Canyon Ranch Spa selections, and use them to balance our diet choices!

Here is my beloved Miso-Glazed Sea Bass...

I love the seafood. Let me know if there is anything specific you would want to know about.

Donna

Very happy to hear that they offered the sea bass given that they do not have Red Ginger on the ship and I was looking forward to trying it! Did they just have it one night or multiples?

Any chance you took pictures of the menus They've apparently changed recently.

Very happy to hear that they offered the sea bass given that they do not have Red Ginger on the ship and I was looking forward to trying it! Did they just have it one night or multiples?

Any chance you took pictures of the menus They've apparently changed recently.

I had it twice. I believe it was offered three times in 16 days.

Sorry, no pix of menus. Lots of food photos though! LOL

I will append a couple more.

Donna

f8c1000679d5b25f33983ef247f70f89.jpg For lunch, a sandwich of prosciutto and Brie on baguette.

7f2952f147d0b971603ace3ef2453607.jpg Chicken Kiev. Not your classic squirty chicken, actually quite good!

875d139933186f6f23e9295a92b8000d.jpgdaily offering at lunch was the veal scaloppine with a bit of pasta and mushrooms. Yum.

I had it twice. I believe it was offered three times in 16 days.

Sorry, no pix of menus. Lots of food photos though! LOL

I will append a couple more.

Donna

f8c1000679d5b25f33983ef247f70f89.jpg For lunch, a sandwich of prosciutto and Brie on baguette.

7f2952f147d0b971603ace3ef2453607.jpg Chicken Kiev. Not your classic squirty chicken, actually quite good!

875d139933186f6f23e9295a92b8000d.jpgdaily offering at lunch was the veal scaloppine with a bit of pasta and mushrooms. Yum.

Donna - plates look fantastic! Thanks for the pictures. And we are really looking forward to the sea bass similar to that in Red Ginger; awesome. We sail the week.

We were on the July 1 - 15 "Caribbean Palette" cruise on the Insignia. We enjoyed the cruise - food was very good as usual. The cruise was memorable because the itinerary was changed to get us out of the way from Hurricane Beryl. Instead of going to St. Lucia and Dominica, the ship went to Trinidad, then we had 3 sea days going to Bermuda instead of the 2 days we would have had from Dominica. We felt that communication onboard about the change in itinerary was handled well. There were a couple of sea days with lots of motion to the ocean, but nothing that Oceania could do about that.

Well, I just saw that my review of this same cruise is posted on the Insignia review page, so this might provide a fuller or at least different perspective from you, lj. Hope people would find this helpful!

Edited by PatrickZJD
Spelling mistakes

Well, I just saw that my review of this same cruise is posted on the Insignia review page, so this might provide a fuller or at least different perspective from you, lj. Hope people would find this helpful!

Can't find your review this morning!

We just boarded the Insignia yesterday; ten of our roll call (5 couples) met in Horizons after the safety briefing last night to get acquainted.

Personally, I like the Insignia as a smaller ship, much better than the Journey (another R ship). Our concierge level stateroom has a nice layout, plenty of storage, additional plugs for CPAP (by each side of the bed - no extension cord required), adequate sized bathroom with what many folks call the 'sticky' shower.

So far, we have experienced very good to excellent service everywhere.

I may try a review on CC following our return to New York.

Yes, I am surprised that it doesn’t seem to be as easy to click on as I thought it would be! Here’s the link:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=627424&et_cid=3110946&et_rid=17398767&et_referrer=NULL

Wow, what a great well rounded review! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

• 1 month later...
We wear Seabands (acupressure wristbands) and carry Bonine, no problems with seasickness. If you are prone, I would suggest (as do many here) the midship cabins which have less motion.

Donna

Thanks so much, Donna. I'm really wanting to try Oceania (I usually cruise NCL) but I'm most worried about the possible seasickness on such a small ship. Appreciate the vote of confidence.

Really appreciate you sharing your experiences. I'm thinking I may bring my "patches" and/or motion sickness pills if I do decide to book. Seasickness is the worst! Again, thank you very much.