Just returned from Regatta - disappointed

MLinFL

Yes it is frustrating when classics are re-interpreted with no heads up. Think about it from the chef's perspective - this lets them insert variety and creativity into the menu "handed down" from corporate.

Not sure how to handicap it though - either a very circuitous route through the dining room to survey plates, or an inquiry to a knowledgeable server as to how a given dish is being prepared, or..?

Sadly, unless I am the one cooking, my idea of how a dish "should" be prepared might not be honored lol. Hopefully it still tastes good even if it is "wrong".

• 2 weeks later...
We probably did the same cruise on Regatta one year ago. Dottie was the cruise director and she made WAY too many announcements. Not all Oceania cruise directors do that. I agree that the endless announcements are very annoying.

We're aboard Regatta now. Sure enough, same cruise director and same "yadda yadda yadda" announcements.

Put a microphone in some people's hands and they fall in love with the sound of their own voice. "Once again..." and "Just a reminder..." are the most superfluous expressions in the CD playbook and should be relegated to the dustbin of history.

We were on Riviera at the end of August and it was mentioned that within a few weeks all O's Head Chefs were meeting with the Culinary Director in Spain, apparently this rarely happens. So maybe standards and menus would be discussed at that. I am surprised that a chef would be allowed to make a large unilateral alteration to a dish, surely a dish served on one O ship should reasonably represent what is served on the others?

We were on Riviera at the end of August and it was mentioned that within a few weeks all O's Head Chefs were meeting with the Culinary Director in Spain, apparently this rarely happens. So maybe standards and menus would be discussed at that. I am surprised that a chef would be allowed to make a large unilateral alteration to a dish, surely a dish served on one O ship should reasonably represent what is served on the others?

With the exception of leeway for the addition to the menu of something special purchased with the exec chef's budgetary discretion funds (e.g., fresh caught tuna at some Pacific island), all recipes are dictated by the head office in Miami.