Libraries

ehogan

You can count on it! Providing I can corral an officer on Amsterdam since I'm just doing a little hop-on/hop-off to get a couple of days so I can be certain of nailing my fourth star on my "real" cruise the following week. And that one is on a Signature sister so won't be much help there getting substantive info on plans for the little ones. But rest assured that I'll do my best to try.

Thanks Susan. :)

As a carnival corporation stock holder ,we see the modern use of electronic books like kindles from amazon.com . Thus ,the prior libraries should be transformed into revenue generating areas .That is only good business :)

As a CCL stock holder, I think it's important to offer some of the amenities that the competition does. Several lines competing with CCL with smaller ships to match the size of these ships all have libraries.

Some people still prefer to hold a book versus a kindle.

Each to their own ;)

Can anyone provide a list of the HAL ships that still have a proper dedicated library?

We sailed the Noordam last year and the library was still there however its state seemed to indicate it was on its way out. :(We sail her next Jan.

They're being shown the way out by Kindle (and the Kindle app for smartphones)

Frankly, I've got storage for literally thousands of books on mine, and would really

rather read something I chose than whatever happens to be left (possibly for good

reason) on a ship's library's shelves.

As a CCL stock holder, I think it's important to offer some of the amenities that the competition does. Several lines competing with CCL with smaller ships to match the size of these ships all have libraries.

Some people still prefer to hold a book versus a kindle.

Each to their own ;)

Thanks Kazu, I agree As a stock holder, in addition to stock value and price, I feel that things like library space that is quiet and conducive to contemplative reading, books and periodicals also important to offer clients. I have a Kindle with back lighting but still find that I miss holding a book and in sunlight, difficult to read. It would be nice to have the option.

Thanks Kazu, I agree As a stock holder, in addition to stock value and price, I feel that things like library space that is quiet and conducive to contemplative reading, books and periodicals also important to offer clients. I have a Kindle with back lighting but still find that I miss holding a book and in sunlight, difficult to read. It would be nice to have the option.

Also as a CCL shareholder, I agree with Kazu and you. I don't have any type of electronic device on which to read a book. I have no desire to buy one. If others wish to do so, I am comfortable with their choice. But, those of us who still wish to hold a good book in our hands ought to have that option as well.

As a carnival corporation stock holder ,we see the modern use of electronic books like kindles from amazon.com . Thus ,the prior libraries should be transformed into revenue generating areas .That is only good business :)

I totally agree. Why take up space with something that fewer and fewer are using when it could be used for more lucrative options? Very easy to download most anything you want on a tablet or your phone. I realize not everyone uses electronics, but they are a very small percentage these days. For those that prefer a quiet place to read or sit, there are other options, including staterooms and balconies, if they have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree. Why take up space with something that fewer and fewer are using when it could be used for more lucrative options? Very easy to download most anything you want on a tablet or your phone. I realize not everyone uses electronics, but they are a very small percentage these days. For those that prefer a quiet place to read or sit, there are other options, including staterooms and balconies, if they have one.

Just to be clear, I do use electronics, happily.

And pretty good at it.

I have books downloaded on my ipad that have only been half read. Why? I prefer the real thing.

The ships that have libraries left do very inticate long itineraries often, so why not offer that amenity to those that are paying a high price for these cruises?

We are not talking 7 day cruises here but longer 28 - 40+ day cruises with sea days. The sailings are not cheap.

I think those of us willing to pay the money should have options. JMO though

I think those of us willing to pay the money should have options. JMO though

I think you just hit on the perfect solution. They can charge for the use of the library, just as they do for internet now. They could offer hourly, daily or cruise length rates or a per book fee. That way those who want to use it can have access to it and the company will be getting some monetary benefit from the space.

I think you just hit on the perfect solution. They can charge for the use of the library, just as they do for internet now. They could offer hourly, daily or cruise length rates or a per book fee. That way those who want to use it can have access to it and the company will be getting some monetary benefit from the space.

I think you misinterpreted my post.

I know of NO cruise line that charges for use of the library. NONE.

You really want nickel and diming to get that bad when people are paying top dollar for certain itineraries?

Sorry, I disagree.

You really want nickel and diming to get that bad when people are paying top dollar for certain itineraries?

Sorry, I disagree.

I didn’t misinterpret. I’m saying that if a venue becomes used by less and less people over time, it only makes financial sense to either remove it or charge those that do use it. If people are really serious about using it, they would be willing to pay extra. That seems like a better option for those that are interested than removing it altogether.

There are lots of things that used to be included on cruises (and travel in general) that are either no longer available or now have an additional charge. The cruise lines basically have 2 options these days - go all-inclusive and charge a much higher rate for everyone or keep basic rates lower and charge for amenities that some are interested in and others aren’t. I would prefer to have a lower rate that includes the basics (room, dining room / buffet, basic entertainment options) and then choose whether or not to pay extra for access to certain services / venues that I may or may not have any interest in. This is why many lines are already offering different levels of included services at different price points. Everyone gets what is important to them at a price they are willing to pay.

But, those of us who still wish to hold a good book in our hands ought to have that option as well.

No one's ripping a book from your hands.

But in days to come it may be that if you want to read a book, you'll have to bring it with you rather than get it onboard ship.

But in days to come it may be that if you want to read a book, you'll have to bring it with you rather than get it onboard ship.

Balm for those carrying stacks of books they chose: I've never found a book in a ship's library nearly as

enjoyable as those I've chosen for myself. ;)

To charge for the use of the library on a ship is an outrageous idea in my opinion.

To each his own, but there seem to be several bemoaning the loss or reduction of libraries on ships. It seems that a charge for those that use it would be preferable to removing it completely, which appears to be where things are headed. The cruise lines can’t continue to maintain venues that fewer and fewer each year are interested in.

I suppose that we can bring this to the ridiculous. Some never use the pool, others don't sit in the lounge chairs because they stay out of the sun, still others don't go to the shows. Some go to the lectures and others take in an afternoon movie or use the jogging course or the sports areas--perhaps those that use each amenity should pay for that and those that don't use these get a credit. Imagine your statement at the end of your cruise.

The statement that fewer and fewer use the library has not been evident on the cruises that we have been on. By 9:30 or 10 a.m. there are no chairs available in the library--it is quiet and there are many people immersed in their reading. The statement that we should go to our cabin or balcony if we want a good place to read makes as much sense as saying that we should go to our cabin and watch the television for the cooking demonstrations or the lectures. Think of the space that could be turned into revenue producing areas. If one wants to see a kitchen demo "live" in the theater you could charge admission. Take a dance class--pay for it.

I to am a stock holder --

In 2017 I did a very unscientific study - I was on a ship with a library. I walked around the outside deck every day and kept track of the electronic readers versus book (hard and soft cover) being used by the guests. The results were about 70% books - 30% electronic readers. I discussed my results with the CD and they agreed that they did not like the libraries going away but with no librarian it was not being kept up and I found the CD shelving books in the evening and the port talk person sanitizing the furniture.

That said, our 2018 32 day cruise was on the Koningsdam and we knew ahead of time that it did not have a library worth even looking at so we bought electronic readers for each of us prior to the cruise. We will be taking them again when we go on the Koningsdam in Jan/Feb 2019.

We really hate that HAL has decided to eliminate the libraries but so be it. We enjoy HAL and the music walk so onward.

I agree with your point. I bring my own books and magazines to read (I'm a slow reader so one or two will last me) but I hate the fact that the usable space to sit and read or play games or whatever has been so drastically reduced.

I agree with your point. I bring my own books and magazines to read (I'm a slow reader so one or two will last me) but I hate the fact that the usable space to sit and read or play games or whatever has been so drastically reduced.

I agree.

As for the need for someone to shelve books, I would think that a a bit of creative thinking would yield a solution. A system that sorts by just several broad categories might suffice, so that shelving would take someone thirty minutes or less each night.

Sorry, I disagree.

If the few who use the ship's library are going to fund that much revenue space, it won't be a nickel or a dime.

I'm a reader. I love libraries, bookstores, and my 2 kindle Fires. That doesn't mean I always know what is out there that I would enjoy. On every cruise I check what books are on board with me and find something I hadn't heard of. Bookshelves and comfy chairs are an amenity I am very sorry to lose.

I do bring a book or more (depending on the length of my cruise). Most often, I leave that book in the library for others to hopefully enjoy.

Sometimes, I have run out of reading material. Then, I find enjoyment in finding a book of interest in my ship's library.

In search of a certain book, such as one not available in the United States, but is available in New Zealand/Australia, I spent considerable shore time visiting bookstores in the ports trying to find that book. I was successful, on my last opportunity for such a search, at the Maritime Museum's bookstore in Sydney.

Wow, didn't realize my initial question would garner such a response. Wonderful!

I am an avid reader, generally reading two (real) books a week. I have three kindles (long story) one of which I always bring when I travel and almost never use. I love the feel, smell and texture of a real book. I love the ambience, quiet and peace of a good library on land or sea and as much as some would hate to see a pool be eliminated on a cruise so do I hate to see the demise of the library.

Sadly, I think libraries at sea are probably doomed, however given the amount of use our local libraries at home enjoy I am hopeful for their future on land at least.

P.S. I receive great joy watching my two young grandaughters (who are also avid readers) sitting reading a real book!

Edited by ehogan
Addition

Our home library has embraced the internet for years.

The internet was adjoining the ships' libraries, which seemed like a good combination that should have insured the survival of our libraries. I am surprised to see such thoughtless choices (eliminating useful libraries) being made by HAL.

Our grandchildren also love books. :)

Barbara