Canada/New England cruise in May?

yerdua

I'm thinking of booking a mid May 2019 Boston to Montreal cruise and would like some input from those of you who have done this voyage this early in the season. Ship (Vaandam)? Weather? Seas? Availability of shore activities, etc. I've searched this board but don't seem to be able to locate pertinent info. TIA to all.

We have done this cruise twice on Maasdam at end of May early June. No guarantees on weather but I'll relate our observations.

Boston and Montreal were both warm and wonderfully pleasant. The ocean was calm but foggy and chilly. Maine was drizzly and chilly in the am but warmed and cleared up in the pm. NS was sunny and chilly one trip, warm and sunny the next though the wind off the water can be chilly. PEI was mostly sunny once the morning clouds broke but long sleeve weather in the am for sure. By afternoon it was warm enough in the sun for short sleeves and sweating. Quebec was warm and sunny both trips and down right toasty in the sun. Layers is the answer! Wind activity makes a big difference in temp so depending on your excursions, plan for wind near the coast and have long sleeves and a rain jacket available.

Another issue is many of the seasonal activities, attractions, or restaurants open June 1st. I know on PEI ,outside of Charlottetown, it was be a bit tough finding a restaurant unless you wanted Tim Hortons. I'd trip advisor what I wanted to do and see if they have seasonal opening or not.

Otherwise it was a great time of year to go. Flowers blooming, green coming out everywhere. Not crowded. Not hot.

Sea was nice though there was liberal use of the foghorn for the first few days which we totally got used to, we actually enjoyed it. :D

We did a repositioning cruise end of April through the first couple of weeks in May -- Ft Lauderdale to Montreal.

Not much open the second week of May. A couple of our excursions that we had pre booked were cancelled because the vendors weren't ready.

We also had a lot of rain when we got to Montreal. We had opted to stay there for 4 days -- nothing but rain.

But of course weather is unpredictable. You may have excellent weather.

We did this cruise in late May of 2017 and again in August of this year. First cruise Boston to Montreal and the second from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale. The weather was wonderful on the first cruise, only one coolish day in Sydney. The rest of the time the weather was wonderful, sunny and warm, and Montreal was lovely. We spent several nights there and ate alfresco each evening!

We last did that cruise in early May 2017, mainly because the pricing was so good. It was cloudy and rainy every day except for PEI. The rain/wind was so bad in Sydney (we were on the Fortress of Louisbourg excursion) that it blew unbrellas inside out. We didn't have any trouble booking all the excursions we were interested in, so I think everything was up and running. The only thing we would like to have seen is the costumed re-enactors at the Fortress of Louisbourg, and they aren't there until high season begins, which is mainly the months of July and August, and into the beginning of September.

Someone earlier mentioned the lack of open restaurants on Prince Edward Island, and we definitely noticed that. In fact, during a drive along the northern coast, we ended up buying packaged sandwiches at a gas station and eating in the car.

Our CA/NE cruise before that one was in August 2015, and the weather was spectacular.

When we book our next CA/NE cruise, which we most certainly will, we will choose August or September.

We did a early May repositioning cruise from Fl to Montreal about ten years ago and it snowed, icy decking aft pool and some pretty cold days.

Many places had not opened for the season but we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and would do it again.

We have done four October repositioning cruises from Quebec to Florida and have experienced snow, cold, hurricanes and lovely fall weather. One never knows what Mother Nature will dole out.

We were to sail to Montreal this past May on another cruise line. Heavy snow melt plus heavy rain caused high water levels. Some ships, including ours, could not pass under bridges beyond Trois Rivers.

I’m unclear which ship the OP is considering but I don’t like, and do not recommend Veendam. There are better options.

We just went in early May this year. May 5-12 on the Veendam. We thought it was a great time of year. We're from Ontario however, so we knew what to expect in terms of weather. It was capri pant weather with a windbreaker or hoodie when it was at it's chilliest. We had one day of rain in Halifax. There were some things not open yet for the season, but not many - more and more retailers and attractions are adjusting to the cruise schedules. We wouldn't hesitate to go again that time of year. Ship was also about 75% full, which was quite nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Veendam. It was great. Not one complaint. Smaller ship in comparison, which was why it could get under bridges etc. Water level was very high when we sailed as well.

We just went in early May this year. May 5-12 on the Veendam. We thought it was a great time of year. We're from Ontario however, so we knew what to expect in terms of weather. It was capri pant weather with a windbreaker or hoodie when it was at it's chilliest. We had one day of rain in Halifax. There were some things not open yet for the season, but not many - more and more retailers and attractions are adjusting to the cruise schedules. We wouldn't hesitate to go again that time of year. Ship was also about 75% full, which was quite nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Veendam. It was great. Not one complaint. Smaller ship in comparison, which was why it could get under bridges etc. Water level was very high when we sailed as well.

Maasdam is Vendam sister and could not fit.

Happy for you, You got lucky.

When we have a very, snowy winter and then a wet spring, the water level in the river gets very high and the ships canno go unde the bridges. i remember a few years ago when a few cruises were badly impacted by high water in the St. Lawrence..

I remember a few years ago after a very snowy winter and rainy spring, some of the cruises were badly impacted by the high wtger. Even 'small Maasdam could not fit under the bridges.

Edited by sail7seas

Carol, I remember that.

This particular cruise is one most pleasant to do alot of walking if one is able. . Rain can surely impact ones' enjoyment if they wished to do lots of walking in the ports as we did.

Edited by sail7seas

We took the 14 day Back to Back Veendam cruise the end of May and early June this year. Canada had a cold Spring and it was really cold - windy, and rainy too. We had cold but beautiful days in Quebec, and lucked into a warm front for our one day in Montreal (temperature around 70 and sunny). But when it is cold, windy, and rainy as it was both times in Charlotte and Sydney, it was quite unpleasant.

However, the tulips and spring flowers in Quebec and Montreal were lovely and nice to see.

For us, it is a great cruise and nice ports any time of the year. We've done it 10-12 times.

Ingeresxging how msny of ux do tht itginerrfy gin and agaain. We always enjoyedBar Harbor, and Halifax (though I am disappoinged to learn, much of ghe board walk is gone and they have built high story buidlings. in place of the lovely little shops, waterfront restaurants etc. I m very sad to learn that. MontrealQuebec City, Charlotetown, is a favorite port for me.

Ingeresxging how msny of ux do tht itginerrfy gin and agaain. We always enjoyedBar Harbor, and Halifax (though I am disappoinged to learn, much of ghe board walk is gone and they have built high story buidlings. in place of the lovely little shops, waterfront restaurants etc. I m very sad to learn that. MontrealQuebec City, Charlotetown, is a favorite port for me.

It's true. It is one of those itineraries I could do every couple of years. The ports offer so much and the people are so pleasant. :)

Speaking of Quebec City, i just heard on the news an EF 2 tornado hit Quebec City and otherQ uebec areas yesterday. Looks like is was awful.

Ships could have been there as they head to montreal to be in place for Saturday debafk/ embark. Can anyone give ' I was there comments/'?

I wil l miss a few of the shops and restaurants. I've been told the maritime museum rema ins place?

There are many of us here on CC that do at least part of that sailing year, after year.

As a former Haligonian who returns frequently and who has watched the development of the boardwalk and surrounding area over many years, I can assure you that you've no need to worry. You can still walk along the entire length of the boardwalk, from the cruise terminal to Purdy's Wharf. Changes have been made over the years, but they've done an excellent job of retaining the atmosphere of the original boardwalk. Take a look on Google Maps, and if you know how to use Street View, you can "go for a walk" along the entire boardwalk to see what it looks like now.

Speaking of Quebec City, i just heard on the news an EF 2 tornado hit Quebec City and otherQ uebec areas yesterday. Looks like is was awful.

Ships could have been there as they head to montreal to be in place for Saturday debafk/ embark. Can anyone give ' I was there comments/'?

I had no idea! It looks terrible. God help and keep them. Nashville had our downtown tornado and it was terrifying. I was home in a basement closet at the time. We in Tornado Alley pray for them.

The tornado yesterday touched down in the City of Gatineau in the Province of Quebec. There have been no reports indicating that there was any tornado activity in Quebec City, which lies approximately 235 miles east of Gatineau.

The tornado yesterday touched down in the City of Gatineau in the Province of Quebec. There have been no reports indicating that there was any tornado activity in Quebec City, which lies approximately 235 miles east of Gatineau.

I pray all are safe. Tornadoes are so scary.

I pray all are safe. Tornadoes are so scary.

Yes, we were under a tornado alert yesterday, but live a few miles south of Gatineau. Our daughter lives in Gatineau and spent time yesterday in the basement with her children when the tornado passed very close by, but with no damage to her house. Fortunately, there were a number of injuries but no deaths reported as a result of yesterday's tornado.