Oceania's Free Shuttles List

hoffdahl

I would like to start a record of Oceania passengers' experiences with Free shuttles. I think this will help future cruisers plan for their activities at the various stops. I know it is a frequent question on this forum!

I was on Marina, April 2011, Pearls of the Riviera:

Valencia - Free shuttle took us near the train station. This was a great starting off point for a walking tour of the historic areas.

Palma de Mallorca - Free shuttle to an area below the cathedral which was used by several bus tour groups. We crossed busy street and had a short walk to stairs up to the cathedral area. Several stairs to climb to the church itself.

Marseille - Free shuttle to a convenient area to start some exploring. We were just steps away from the little HOHO tourist "trains" that have 2 routes through the city.

Sorrento - A short free shuttle ride helped us avoid a climb up the hill to the town's main square. From there it was a short walk to the train station where we got a ride into Pompeii.

Monte Carlo, Portofino, Amalfi - none needed

Livorno - We took a private tour so I don't know what was available.

Next year we plan to go on "Continental Connoisseur" and I would like to know what is available in Le Havre, Saint-Malo, Concarneau, La Rochelle, Verdon, Bilbao, La Coruna, Oporto, Lisbon, Cadiz, and Casablanca. I hope others of you will contribute to this thread, and thanks in advance for those of you who do.

• Like 1

Next year we plan to go on "Continental Connoisseur" and I would like to know what is available in Le Havre, Saint-Malo, Concarneau, La Rochelle, Verdon, Bilbao, La Coruna, Oporto, Lisbon, Cadiz, and Casablanca. I hope others of you will contribute to this thread, and thanks in advance for those of you who do.

St Malo ..short walk to walled city

Le Havre port provided a shuttle to town

I would like to start a record of Oceania passengers' experiences with Free shuttles. I think this will help future cruisers plan for their activities at the various stops. I know it is a frequent question on this forum!

I was on Marina, April 2011, Pearls of the Riviera:

Valencia - Free shuttle took us near the train station. This was a great starting off point for a walking tour of the historic areas.

Palma de Mallorca - Free shuttle to an area below the cathedral which was used by several bus tour groups. We crossed busy street and had a short walk to stairs up to the cathedral area. Several stairs to climb to the church itself.

Marseille - Free shuttle to a convenient area to start some exploring. We were just steps away from the little HOHO tourist "trains" that have 2 routes through the city.

Sorrento - A short free shuttle ride helped us avoid a climb up the hill to the town's main square. From there it was a short walk to the train station where we got a ride into Pompeii.

Monte Carlo, Portofino, Amalfi - none needed

Livorno - We took a private tour so I don't know what was available.

Le Havre: O provided a free shuttle to Honfleur but that may be because that was the original port we were supposed to go to.

St Malo: tendered to town, easy walk from there

Concarneau: supposed to be tendered here but too much of a swell so missed this port

La Rochelle: free shuttle to town centre

Le Verdon: free shuttle to Soulac sur Mer

As a general observation it seemed there were free shuttles in industrialised ports where it was not very safe to walk through the port on your own.

Casablanca - free shuttle to town

Lisbon - free shuttle to town

Concarneau - walk to town

Bilboa - free shuttle to town. I think the port operates the shuttle.

Cadiz - dock at town so no shuttle

Copenhagen - free shuttle

Also, it should be noted that often there is more than one docking place or even port in each town/city - and these can be quite a distance from each other (eg Venice has 3) - depending where ship docks, need for shuttle/walking/availability of taxis etc will be different. Perhaps, it would be good to also note where the ship docked as well, if possible.

I will look at "Currents" and come back with my list when I get time

Edited by trina2
added

Anyone know if there is a shuttle in Livorno and if there is , where does it take you?

Thanks!

KIm

When there is it is only out to the port entrance. The town is right there and there is no other place you can go without taking a tour on your own or one of O"s.

When there is it is only out to the port entrance. The town is right there and there is no other place you can go without taking a tour on your own or one of O"s.

Are you certain of this advice?

Last year in Livorno, the shuttle went to one of the central squares in town which was a major bus station where you easily could catch a bus to the not too far away train station. We had planned to spend our entire port day in Lucca, and many others caught the same train which ran directly from Livorno to Pisa, where we switched for our Lucca train, well-timed for easy transfer. It was a marvelous day; the train station in Lucca is just 100 yards from the wonderful old city walls.

Edited by CintiPam

I tried to get this thread made into a Sticky since questions about free shuttles are so frequent. I thought I had done everything necessary, but it appears I was wrong? If anyone more skilled at this than me (which is probably just about everybody) wants to try, I still think it would be worthwhile. Thanks

Barcelona, August 2011 Marina docked at Terminal C. Shuttle to World Trade Center where HOHO buses were available, or short walk to La Rambla (southern end, near statue of Columbus). Every 30 minutes.

Edited by rjrcm

Just off Marina and most of our ports involved shuttles.

Honfleur ship to town bus station

St. Malo tender

La rochelle bus to town

St. Jean de Luz tender to town

Casablanca bus to town

Livorno bus to main square in town.

Citivecchia port shuttle to gate, then taxi or walk to train station

All the buses were provided by Marina at no extra cost.

Sure miss Lobster every nite. Pat

Do the shuttles run frequently as long as the ship is in port? We're travelling to Civitavecchia on our own to board Marina next April and wonder if we'll have to take a taxi from the train or can we walk to the gate and expect a shuttle to appear fairly quickly?

Edited by RandB_Toronto
spelling

As far as I know, the taxies are not allowed iside the port area. We have walked from the train station to the port gate and the shuttle was waiting. If you have more than one suitcase, you can probably get a taxi from the station to the port gate. Pat

• 2 months later...

I am just waking up this thread since it is such a good one.

We had free shuttles in Bangkok to town center and when we were docked near Halong Bay (if I recall correctly) on Nautica.

Does anyone know if there are free shuttles in Bermuda from the Dockyards (where Marina docks) to Hamilton?

Does anyone know if there are free shuttles in Bermuda from the Dockyards (where Marina docks) to Hamilton?

No shuttle. Take the boat across the bay as it is much shorter and more scenic than the local bus to town, which takes about an hour.

This past September on Marina, we did not have a shuttle in Taormina. Had a bit of a wait for a taxi also. Got off the tender and at least one or two other tenders arrived while we were waiting. So when the taxis did start to arrive there were quite a few people waiting and, of course, people had to try to jump the line. Not pleasant.

The other ship in port that day, Silverseas I think, did have a shuttle.