2018 Pacific Princess World Cruise Blog

I've been lurking on world cruise threads for a while now, comparing cruises, gathering intel, and dreaming of the day we actually booked our world cruise. After crunching the numbers, I'd set my sights on 2021. I figured it would take that long before we could afford it.

But plans change. Last week, the Dear Husband and I booked passage on the Pacific Princess for the 2018 World Cruise! Somebody pinch me! I'm still not sure I quite believe it yet. ;p

I also set up a blog to share our adventure with anyone who wants to come along. Before we board, I'll share what it takes to run away from our land life for over three months. Here's the link to Round The World Writer!

Hope you'll join us!

Thanks, easyboy. We're so excited, we're about to pop!

I've been making lists of all the things we need to see to before we go. The time till be board will both fly by and crawl. It's a good thing we didn't book 18 months out like lots of cruisers do. My heart wouldn't have stood it! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I've been lurking on world cruise threads for a while now, comparing cruises, gathering intel, and dreaming of the day we actually booked our world cruise. After crunching the numbers, I'd set my sights on 2021. I figured it would take that long before we could afford it.

But plans change. Last week, the Dear Husband and I booked passage on the Pacific Princess for the 2018 World Cruise! Somebody pinch me! I'm still not sure I quite believe it yet. ;p

I also set up a blog to share our adventure with anyone who wants to come along. Before we board, I'll share what it takes to run away from our land life for over three months. Here's the link to Round The World Writer!

Hope you'll join us!

My wife and I are going on the Pacific Princess 2018 World cruise. We are leaving for Fort Lauderdale on Jan 2, going early to shop for last minute items. On a South American cruise, Feb 2017, we met two couples who are also on 2018 world cruise. One couple from Florida and one from Texas. Another couple from California, who we met in Jan. 2016 (Pamama Canel-World Cruise segment) will also be on board from Los Angles to Sydney. Looking foreword to meeting you and your husband. Thanks for the blog, will save me a lot of writing.

Charles

Hi Aquadesiac, I am glad to find your thread and beginning blog, I will follow it eagerly as I too have always dreamed of a World Cruise and have just booked one. I am so excited that I can't sleep, and am boring friends talking about it constantly. I am trying to think of all that needs to be done to be gone for 4+ months.

After reading your blog I went on Amazon and bought an over the door hanger for laundry as I too hang my clothes to dry. Please keep the ideas coming.

Are you taking extra luggage? I am wondering how to pack for so long. Ideas?

Hey Momzcruising! So glad you discovered the blog. Like you, I'm so excited about this trip, I'm about to pop. Think I would if I didn't have the blog as a release valve!

About the packing...I'm still figuring that out. We've opted to fly, but we splurged on First Class, so we get to check 2 bags each and the weight limit is 70 pounds for each piece instead of the usual 50. Between that and carry-ons, I think we'll be okay. They always say to pack half the stuff and twice the money anyway.

Are you going to be on the Princess cruise or a different line?

Hi Aquadesiac I read more of your blog after posting and saw that you are flying first class thus getting the extra luggage allowance, unfortunately that is not my current situation.

I am cruising on the Queen Mary2 out of Southhampton and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The cruise that I have chosen includes airfare, all shore excursions, tipping, etc. So as of right now I'm flying coach to London which means I will need cold weather clothes, then eventually warm weather clothing. Also the ship is Very Formal requiring much formal wear which can be very heavy. I have resigned myself to two 50 lb suitcases (paying $100) for the second one but it is gonna be tough. And I am the queen of light packing, but I may have met my match.

I am still eager to read your suggestions... and get ideas. Any idea no matter how small is helpful. When we get to South Africa won't be the time to remember I forgot to turn off the stove!! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Charles, have you found the Princess WC Roll Call? Here's a link, just in case: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2466826. It's fun to meet our fellow passengers online before we meet IRL next January. We'll be joining the cruise in LA on Jan 22nd. See you then!

Thank' s for the info. Looking forward to meeting uo and your husband.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 'hold' on a cabin on The Pacific Princess World Cruise, Ft. Lauderdale, return to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm a single, senior woman, traveling as a single. Seems most who take long cruises are couples, and are seniors. (The time and the money!)

Question for whomever: Not that I'm looking for the love of my life on a cruise, but it would be nice to know if other singles will be onboard. Anyone out there?

111 days is a long time on a ship.... (60 days at sea). Wondering, have you been aboard any ship for a lengthy cruise?

So here's the most important 'female question.' OMG, what are you planning to pack?

JLo2

Hi Aquadesiac I read more of your blog after posting and saw that you are flying first class thus getting the extra luggage allowance, unfortunately that is not my current situation.

I am cruising on the Queen Mary2 out of Southhampton and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The cruise that I have chosen includes airfare, all shore excursions, tipping, etc. So as of right now I'm flying coach to London which means I will need cold weather clothes, then eventually warm weather clothing. Also the ship is Very Formal requiring much formal wear which can be very heavy. I have resigned myself to two 50 lb suitcases (paying $100) for the second one but it is gonna be tough. And I am the queen of light packing, but I may have met my match.

I am still eager to read your suggestions... and get ideas. Any idea no matter how small is helpful. When we get to South Africa won't be the time to remember I forgot to turn off the stove!! :cool:

I so want to try the QM2 someday! Glad you're enjoying the blog. I do intend to post several times about assembling a workable cruise wardrobe for both formal and every day. Hopefully, I'll find some ideas that will help us both!

Another reason we're flying first class (besides the desire to splurge a little) is that I have to use my portable oxygen concentrator when we reach cruising altitude. The cabin is pressurized as if we're at 8000 ft elevation which is ok for most folks but I need a little help when the air gets thinner. It's rare to find a plug in anywhere else but first class. All my medical equipment is a separate packing issue, but I think we'll figure it out.

Look forward to hearing more about YOUR trip!

I have a 'hold' on a cabin on The Pacific Princess World Cruise, Ft. Lauderdale, return to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm a single, senior woman, traveling as a single. Seems most who take long cruises are couples, and are seniors. (The time and the money!)

Question for whomever: Not that I'm looking for the love of my life on a cruise, but it would be nice to know if other singles will be onboard. Anyone out there?

111 days is a long time on a ship.... (60 days at sea). Wondering, have you been aboard any ship for a lengthy cruise?

So here's the most important 'female question.' OMG, what are you planning to pack?

JLo2

We'll on the PP from LA to Ft. Lauderdale. Looking foward to meeting you.

My packing plans are still a little nebulous, but my main rule is that every piece of clothing has to go with at least two other things, preferably three. I'll be sharing more packing details on my RoundTheWorld blog as the time to pull out the suitcases approaches.

• 5 months later...
Congratulations on booking the World Cruise and doing the blog.

It will allow you to relive the World Cruise for the rest of your lives.

Keith

One of my dearest friends does not travel. She hasn't spent a night away from her own home in decades, but she's very excited about traveling vicariously with me. She's adamant that I have to "share!"

My wife and I are going on the Pacific Princess 2018 World cruise. We are leaving for Fort Lauderdale on Jan 2, going early to shop for last minute items. On a South American cruise, Feb 2017, we met two couples who are also on 2018 world cruise. One couple from Florida and one from Texas. Another couple from California, who we met in Jan. 2016 (Pamama Canel-World Cruise segment) will also be on board from Los Angles to Sydney. Looking foreword to meeting you and your husband. Thanks for the blog, will save me a lot of writing.

Charles

Can't wait to meet you too! We'll be joining the ship in LA in just 9 DAYS!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...