Laundry on HAL

JoAnnaBullhead

FYI... as of July 2018, None of HAL's ships have self serve laundry facilities anymore!

We booked our cabin to be close to the laundry room. Surprise, surprise!! They are gone.. We were told that there was too many problems with them so they took them out of all ships!

You can still send laundry out for a fee. I think it was $20 for a laundry bag full. ( Roll your clothes.. more fits in the bag ).

we don't go cruising to do laundry. The laundry service onboard is good.

The only ship we sailed that had the self service laundry was Rotterdam and during the 14 days we didn't see anyone in it. Even though it was close to our cabin.

any idea about access for ironing?? I believe I've read no irons/boards are available. Wondering how we can get wrinkles out of clothes after being packed in suitcases.

If you put tissue paper/dry cleaning bags between clothes while packing, it eliminates a lot of wrinkles.

Or..

Hang them in the bathroom with the shower running and the steam will knock most of the wrinkles out.

Or..

Alternatively, you can send them out for pressing by HAL.

FYI... as of July 2018, None of HAL's ships have self serve laundry facilities anymore!

We booked our cabin to be close to the laundry room. Surprise, surprise!! They are gone.. We were told that there was too many problems with them so they took them out of all ships!

You can still send laundry out for a fee. I think it was $20 for a laundry bag full. ( Roll your clothes.. more fits in the bag ).

Thanks for the heads up. I believe the laundry room is still on the P'dam - probably because she is sold and chartered back to HAL?

I'll double check with AQ on her LIVE thread.

I thought that Amsterdam still had a laundry. Can anyone confirm? I'm doing one of the World Cruise segments and had planned to do laundry every 2 weeks - I don't mind spending a few hours on a sea day doing this for a long cruise. And, I'm just a 1 star so have no status to get mine done for free.

Is that because they wash everything on hot? Can you ask for "not hot wash"?

Of course you can. I ask for cold water wash and low heat on the dryer for several items. Circle them, mark it and then also add it in the comments with a thank you.

I haven't had a problem yet ;)

I've sent out very delicate items and they have returned in perfect condition.

One of my favorite things about a HAL cruise is the $7/day unlimited laundry.

I have never heard of the $7 unlimited laundry. We are just a few days short of "free" laundry :)

We knew that it was going to happen.

We send laundry out -- just be careful you don't send anything out that is very delicate and you don't want ruined.

I send hubby's out.. not mine.. allergic to many soaps.. I use Tide free and clear.. so I usually do just 1 load of my things... guess I will just have to wait till we get home to do mine.. no worries.

I thought that Amsterdam still had a laundry. Can anyone confirm? I'm doing one of the World Cruise segments and had planned to do laundry every 2 weeks - I don't mind spending a few hours on a sea day doing this for a long cruise. And, I'm just a 1 star so have no status to get mine done for free.

I realize the OP has been told info on board, but info is not always accurate. (I was told that no ship gives a Mariner's discount to Sel de Mer and that was totally erroneous).

I would be shocked if Amsterdam has lost her laundry since she does world cruises. Hopefully someone who has been on her since August 1st will post.

Or, if not, you can start a new thread with the question.

I have never heard of the $7 unlimited laundry. We are just a few days short of "free" laundry :)

Unlimited laundry has been around for a long time. If you are in standard North American/Caribbean ports, it's $7 per day (every day).

We just did Veendam in August and she still has self service laundry. Unlimited laundry has a price for wash and dry and another price including pressing.

What’s the typical return time for bag o’ laundry? Also, do they have access to “allergen free” detergent, or just the usual Tide-quality stuff?

No allergen-free detergents. I asked for Free & Clear detergent on the laundry ticket while on the NA this past spring and it all came back highly perfumed, which makes me itch, so I did not wear those items. I will be hand washing my laundry in bathroom sink on our ship next year. ;p It is what it is. No world cruise on HAL in my future.:rolleyes:

One of my sisters will only cruise on Princess because of self service laundry facility on their ships. We might (ahem) jump ship for longer cruises.

Edited by Walfam

What’s the typical return time for bag o’ laundry? Also, do they have access to “allergen free” detergent, or just the usual Tide-quality stuff? And is it sent back ironed and hung?

they use a special enovironmentally friendly laundry soap. No tide. I really have noticed no scent on ours. But, I have not sailed on the NA in years. I have been on smaller ships - vista, S & R & Prinsendam.

Maximum turn around time is 48 hours but usually it is back in the afternoon when you put it out the night before and even sometimes that morning. it's pretty quick service overall.

No need to request pressing if you send out laundry as everything comes back pressed.

You can request on hangers or folded. We do hangers and everything that can be hung is. The little things (like socks) come in a wicker basket with tissue paper.

Service is quite good actually ;)

Thanks for the replies. Helpful. Still wondering...does laundry come back same day...a couple? We’ll be on Kronendam in a couple of weeks for 20 days, and few days in Rome before. Know we’ll have laundry that we can’t do in sink. Lots of people like myself are(or are becoming) allergic to the Tide stuff. Hope they go allergen free soon!

Thanks for the replies. Helpful. Still wondering...does laundry come back same day...a couple? We’ll be on Kronendam in a couple of weeks for 20 days, and few days in Rome before. Know we’ll have laundry that we can’t do in sink. Lots of people like myself are(or are becoming) allergic to the Tide stuff. Hope they go allergen free soon!

Deleted - I see you did see my post previously ;)

Hope they go allergen free soon!

It would be nice, especially if a perfume-free version is used. It's amazing that some detergents advertise as "sensitive" while they have perfume/scent added. European formula Persil was guilty of that.

What’s the typical return time for bag o’ laundry? Also, do they have access to “allergen free” detergent, or just the usual Tide-quality stuff? And is it sent back ironed and hung?

Return time depends on a few factors. Normally its back the next day. If the ship is loaded with 4 and 5 star Mariners who get free laundry, it might take longer. The Amsterdam added laundry staff for this years world cruise because there were 800 4 and 5 Star Mariners onboard. On a normal cruise laundry can return the same day that its put in...off in the morning, back at night, but don't depend on it. And then there are itineraries where the laundry is shut down for a few days, like Antarctica or the Amazon.

Return time depends on a few factors. Normally its back the next day. If the ship is loaded with 4 and 5 star Mariners who get free laundry, it might take longer. The Amsterdam added laundry staff for this years world cruise because there were 800 4 and 5 Star Mariners onboard. On a normal cruise laundry can return the same day that its put in...off in the morning, back at night, but don't depend on it. And then there are itineraries where the laundry is shut down for a few days, like Antarctica or the Amazon.

I agree. Besides having so many 4 and 5-star Mariners on the VOV this year, we also had a bad Noro outbreak the first 2 weeks. Due to all the extra laundry because of that, there was one time it took 3 days for our laundry to get back. The laundry dept. even borrowed extra staff from another ship in port with us.