Oceania vs Regent in the Baltic

sjoantwe

We are entertaining a Baltic cruise in aug-sept of 2019. Can anyone compare the two lines in that area? I know that Regent is more all inclusive, but beyond that, service, room size, food, and excurisons? We are on an Oceania cruise this December and I have arranged all private tours as it seems that people agree that the excursions are un-orangized at best, at least in Cuba. So, I am very curious about the comparison.

You can compare cabin sizes on the websites of the 2 lines

I suspect the excursions will be similar (both lines owned by NCLH)

Regent have free excursions (well you pay upfront in the cruise fare)

Oceania have O Life with some free excursions if you choose that option

Food is subjective ..it all depends on what you prefer

I would look at some of the sample menus for each line

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

I vote for Regent. If Oceania is using of their 2 bigger ships, you will be fine but if the sailings are on one of their smaller ships, your cabin will be much bigger on Regent. After a week or so in one of their smaller ships, it kind of gets to me being in a small cabin.

I vote for Regent. If Oceania is using of their 2 bigger ships, you will be fine but if the sailings are on one of their smaller ships, your cabin will be much bigger on Regent. After a week or so in one of their smaller ships, it kind of gets to me being in a small cabin.

This is why in order to compare apples to apples you have to price a regular Regent suite to an Oceania penthouse. That's where O's price advantage completely disappears.

This is why in order to compare apples to apples you have to price a regular Regent suite to an Oceania penthouse. That's where O's price advantage completely disappears.

Henry - you keep saying things like that but can you back it up.

A casual look at 10 day Baltic cruises on Marina vs Explorer shows this:

Marina PH 3 420 sq ft - $7100 w/O Life; $5800 cruise only

Explorer - G2 360 sq ft (max) $12000 w/ bus air. $ $9300 w/o air

Does this look like O’s price advantage disappeared? Someone has to pay for all those drinks and excursions - they may be included but they are not free :)

You could easily spend that difference on excursions and drinks in this part of the world. The excursions on Regent and Oceania are identical. I know for a fact as I have done the same excursions on both. Difference is that you are paying extra for them on Oceania vs included on Regent.

Wel, it all depends. If you drink little or not at all and like to do your own excursions (which are cheaper and better than ship’s excursions when shared) then you would not spend nearly the difference. Especially if you fly businesss for miles. In my case the difference would be $9300/pp vs $6100/pp (O Life w/o air + 3 excursions) - $6400 for the two of us. That’s a big difference!

Why pay for something that you will not use.

Conversely, if you drink a lot and take all ship’s excursions then it might be closer.

Everyone has to do their own math. It doesn’t work for me. That said, I will take a Regent cruise next year just to try the new ship and for the itinerary, knowing that I am paying more than I would on Oceania.

Edited by Paulchili

Wel, it all depends. If you drink little or not at all and like to do your own excursions (which are cheaper and better than ship’s excursions when shared) then you would not spend nearly the difference. Especially if you fly businesss for miles. In my case the difference would be $9300/pp vs $6100/pp (O Life w/o air + 3 excursions) - $6400 for the two of us. That’s a big difference!

Why pay for something that you will not use.

Conversely, if you drink a lot and take all ship’s excursions then it might be closer.

Everyone has to do their own math. It doesn’t work for me. That said, I will take a Regent cruise next year just to try the new ship and for the itinerary, knowing that I am paying more than I would on Oceania.

I just wanted to chime in and say I completely agree. We happen to be on a Baltic cruise next year in a Marina penthouse suite and these prices that you quoted are right on. We're going to take the OBC for 3 excursions. I don't drink much, usually 2 glasses of wine with dinner. My husband will drink probably 3 glasses. We wouldn't get our money's worth with Regent's included drinks and excursions. As Lyn stated, nothing is "free".

I just wanted to chime in and say I completely agree. We happen to be on a Baltic cruise next year in a Marina penthouse suite and these prices that you quoted are right on. We're going to take the OBC for 3 excursions. I don't drink much, usually 2 glasses of wine with dinner. My husband will drink probably 3 glasses. We wouldn't get our money's worth with Regent's included drinks and excursions. As Lyn stated, nothing is "free".

Wouldn’t it be a better option to take the Olife excursions instead of the Obc? My math usually says so.

Henry - you keep saying things like that but can you back it up.

A casual look at 10 day Baltic cruises on Marina vs Explorer shows this:

Marina PH 3 420 sq ft - $7100 w/O Life; $5800 cruise only

Explorer - G2 360 sq ft (max) $12000 w/ bus air. $ $9300 w/o air

Does this look like O’s price advantage disappeared? Someone has to pay for all those drinks and excursions - they may be included but they are not free :)

Paul,

I will never compare O's prices to Regents because I will never sail Regent in a million years. Their prices are highly inflated because of the included excursions and flights. And if you don't take Regetn's flights and get a credit it's not that large. But compare a verandah suite on Seabourn with an O penthouse and you get a totally different perspective. Plus on Seabourn I get free laundry, free wifi and after sailing for 240 days I get a free 14 day cruise. If I amortize that over all the cruises I take that reduces their price by a nice chunk.

Paul,

I will never compare O's prices to Regents because I will never sail Regent in a million years. Their prices are highly inflated because of the included excursions and flights. And if you don't take Regetn's flights and get a credit it's not that large. But compare a verandah suite on Seabourn with an O penthouse and you get a totally different perspective. Plus on Seabourn I get free laundry, free wifi and after sailing for 240 days I get a free 14 day cruise. If I amortize that over all the cruises I take that reduces their price by a nice chunk.

Henry,

I agree. If - and that's a big if at the moment - we have to "abandon" Oceania for some reason, Seabourn would be the most likely replacement.