***Former Port Of Seattle Cruisers!!***

Suesan Jean

My DD just called in a panic!! She just boarded the Eurodam in Seattle for an Alaskan Cruise and is watching people bringing their laggage onboard.

She gave her bag to a Porter as she has done before on past cruises.

But, now she is worrying that her bag is going to go to the Princess ship next to her ship!!

Does this ever happen??!!

She is So Stressed!!

Should she have brought her bag up to her room?

Thank you.

Edited by Suesan Jean
Grammar

My DD just called in a panic!! She just boarded the Eurodam in Seattle for an Alaskan Cruise and is watching people bringing their laggage onboard.

She gave her bag to a Porter as she has done before on past cruises.

But, now she is worrying that her bag is going to go to the Princess ship next to her ship!!

Does this ever happen??!!

She is So Stressed!!

Should she have brought her bag up to her room?

Thank you.

If she properly tagged her bag she should be reunited with it this afternoon. Does it ever happen (in both directions; HAL luggage winding up on Princess ships and vice versa) Yes it does, but not very often; tags being torn off and Stevedores not paying attention are two of the primary causes. Stevedores/longshoremen know which luggage racks go to HAL and which ones go to Princess. As a matter of fact, those racks are different (in style and color - they belong to the ship and not to the port) and, in Seattle at Smith Cove/Pier 91, are on opposite sides of each other (along the pier each ship is on) before being hauled into the ships

I'd tell your daughter to relax, have a nice lunch, attend the mandatory drill, and enjoy the departure from Seattle and transit of very nice Puget Sound. If, by some bad luck (see above), her bag doesn't make it onboard, the good thing is that both the Princess ship and Eurodam go to some of the same Alaskan ports so a transfer can still be made in the first such port with the assistance of the port agent.

Thank You Copper!! :)

I just spoke with her, she talked with someone at the Front Desk and he told her that there is 0% chance of her bag going to the Princess ship, let’s hope so!!

Because, if by chance it does, that ship is going down the coast of California!! :eek:

My DD will NOT be happy!! :(

I am Positive she will get her bag, I have never heard of such a thing!!

The HAL porters wear orange vests and the Princess porters wear the bright green vests. Each cruise lines' luggage tags are very different. Folks working at the pier can determine from a distance (without even having to ask you) which ship you are headed to just by looking at the tags on your suitcases. Once the porters take the luggage into the building each bag is individually scanned, then placed into a 'zoned' metal transport cage - giving the longshoremen another opportunity to catch any mistakes. Please tell your daughter not to worry!

At Pier 91, I don't ever recall seeing a porter outside the building. We were always directed to take our luggage down a short passageway and drop them either with a luggage handler or directly onto the scanner belt. It is very well divided at Pier 91 between the Princess ship and the HAL ship.

One year there were two Princess ships leaving Vancouver at the same time. Apparently several pieces of luggage got on the wrong ship. While we were still in the harbor, but had already left the dock, a boat came out with the misplaced luggage. It was loaded onboard through one of the large hatches near the ship's water line and then sent on up the appropriate cabins.

At Pier 91, I don't ever recall seeing a porter outside the building. We were always directed to take our luggage down a short passageway and drop them either with a luggage handler or directly onto the scanner belt. It is very well divided at Pier 91 between the Princess ship and the HAL ship.

The stevedores/porters/longshoremen at Smith Cove/Pier 91 in Seattle "hang around" the center area (left side of the pic) of the drive thru. The two white luggage cages on the right are the ones assigned to, in this case, Oosterdam. These two are for incoming crew luggage, however the ones for pax are the same. The yellow crosswalk leads to the crew screening area. HAL ships are always on the west side and Princess ships, in this case Emerald, on the east side

21740656_10155559532775729_326754369875982782_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=865c2d5d76b4fc8d799a8abeb5cd5b7b&oe=5C21F6A2

Edited by Copper10-8

Yes -- it can happen -- at any port.

Many years ago we sailed out of San Diego on the Ryndam. Zaandam was also there doing a Hawaiian, etc., cruise so they were assigned the main pier. We were doing the Pan American/Ecuador cruise -- had the "tent" terminal.

Quite a few pieces of luggage that should have been on the Ryndam ended up on the Zaandam.

Some people got their luggage on day 7, some a few days later, and about 4 people got their luggage on day 18 of a 21 day cruise.

Please let us know if your daughter gets her luggage.