What's in a name? (For Cunard's new ship)

koliviera45

Captain Wells throw three names into the room during the Club Party- Queen Alexandra was his first, followed by Queen Anne and Queen Charlotte. If it is copy of the Koenigsdam- well then it is not a ship I want to sail with! I agree with the poster who mentioned Queen Dam- or something the like! Koenigsdam dockes next to us in Stavanger- just a tiny part of the prommenade deck was not blocked from live boats!

They can build ships with a propper prommenade- MSC Seaside is the best example. All the live boats there are below the Prommenade Deck! If still looking for a developed design based on the Koenigsdam Class- they should look there. Very sound advice that would be indeed!

I believe I read in one edition of the Cunarder that their connection to white star is actually more tenuous than popularly believed - Cunard White Star was apparently a separate 3rd operating company which Cunard and White Star held the shares at a 60:40 ratio, transferring control of their fleets to the new company. When Cunard bought out WS, they just purchased the 40% holding that WS had in the company and took direct control again - the two companies never actually formally merged as is commonly believed. I assume White Star just finished trading after this? It’s been a while since I read it but I’m certain that was the gist of it all.

Not quite correct. During the depths of the depression work was halted on the building of the original queen Mary. The government agreed to fund the construction to get the workers re-employed if White Star and Cunard agreed to merge. For some time the company was known as Cunard White Star Line, but eventually the White Star was dropped.

My entry in the naming contest is Queen Anne.

They can build ships with a propper prommenade- MSC Seaside is the best example. All the live boats there are below the Prommenade Deck! If still looking for a developed design based on the Koenigsdam Class- they should look there. Very sound advice that would be indeed!

Having sailed the Seaside in March, I can say that the space above the area of life boats has great potential, but is not even close to being a Promenade Deck. The space is sectioned off into various outdoor venues and impossible to navigate for walkers. There is no area onboard the Seaside for walkers or joggers.

Kel

I asked Captain Wells a few weeks ago when I was in the QM2 and he said that everyone knows the name will be the Queen Camilla!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Captain Wells is rightfully renowned for his great sense of humor.

Personally I would prefer to go back to the -ia names, but then, if the ship is looking like a shopping cart it wouldn't be right to abuse a famous name.