Stockholm disembarkation -- Oceania vs. Viking

kaymoz

We'll sail for the first time with Oceania in August, on Nautica to the Baltic. Fortunately, we'll have an overnight with the ship in Stockholm at the end, and afterwards we'll stay at least one additional night in Stockholm for additional exploring before we fly on (to Berlin for more touring).

Coincidentally, a friend recently returned from a Baltic cruise with Viking, also ending in Stockholm. Here's a snippet from her email to me yesterday:

"we spent two extra nights in Stockholm.... then home.

The last day on ship after the free Viking tour of Stockholm..... we spent the last afternoon on the ship... reading, playing bocci..having lunch ...... actually relaxing. "

My first reaction was -- bocci???? On a ship????

AND THEN, I thought about the idea of leaving the ship on the last day to go look around the port and then getting back onboard to lunch & hang out.....is that unheard of or what?

Every ship I have ever been sailed on has been totally driven to getting pax out of their cabins asap on the last morning, and herding them here and there in the disembarkation process. Always an annoying way to end a trip, even with Cunard on QM2, which was otherwise most civilized.

My friend's experience with Viking sounds too good to be true.....but maybe that's just Viking.

What can we expect this time with Oceania? (We haven't received the packet yet.)

Did your friend’s Viking ship stay in port overnight (like your Oceania will)?

Then maybe the “last day on the ship ” was the day before disembarkation?

On Oceania you will have to disembark by 9 AM and I suspect that is the case for all cruise lines.

I have cruised with Viking River Cruise, pretty certain ocean cruise is same. On the disembarkation day you will be leaving the ship in the A.M no tours that day. Same as Oceania

You might be right about "the last day on the ship" that my friend described. I will see her Wednesday and will ask her. Emails can only tell us a little sometimes!

How does disembarkation work with Oceania?

Does the 9 am timeframe mean pax must be done with breakfast and out of the cabin by that time, waiting & ready to go when the process can move them, or something else?

Yes. You're supposed to be off the ship by 9, not just out of your room.

Sometimes it may not work that way -- say the ship wasn't cleared on time.

How does disembarkation work with Oceania?

Does the 9 am timeframe mean pax must be done with breakfast and out of the cabin by that time, waiting & ready to go when the process can move them, or something else?

You are expected to vacate your cabin by 8 AM and leave the ship by 9 AM. It’s only fair as there is lots of work for the staff to get the ship ready for the next set of passengers.

That said, there is plenty of time for breakfast.

I'm guessing the person had an overnight in port, and the "last day" was actually the last full day of the cruise, not disembarkation day. That would make sense too, as there was a free tour offered. Viking offers a free tour if the ship has a full day in port. However, usually (or perhaps never) do they offer tours on the days you embark and disembark.

Viking Ocean's procedures on disembarkation day are very similar to Oceania's. And yes, there's plenty of time for breakfast once you vacate your room (or before) - on both lines.

I hear there's Bocce ball on Viking's newest ship; don't think the others had it when I cruised.

It’s probably just me, but I think I would even go to the Abba museum, before spending time on a ship playing Bocce while in Stockholm. :eek:

ABBA beats bocce any day in my book :)

The wonderful Nobel museum beats bocce as well.

ABBA beats bocce any day in my book :)

The wonderful Nobel museum beats bocce as well.

The city hall was the hidden gem for us, although we loved the Nobel museum. It is where the Nobel dinner takes place. The guides do a wonderful job of describing the night’s festivities.

The city hall was the hidden gem for us, although we loved the Nobel museum. It is where the Nobel dinner takes place. The guides do a wonderful job of describing the night’s festivities.

Agreed - it’s a wonderful place. We visit it each time we are in Stockholm.