Gluten free

Obie

I love pasta but I need gluten free. Is there any available on Rivera?

Thanks

Not as a rule, but you may arrange for special dietary requests of any kind by letting special services know of your needs in advance of your cruise.

My husband requires GF diet also(Celiac disease) He notified Oceania 90 days ahead of our cruises, and they were able to offer him GF selections for pasta, breads, pizza, etc. Cereal is almost impossible though;-( We had no trouble on Riviera for whole 14 days.

I love pasta but I need gluten free. Is there any available on Rivera?

Thanks

My husband also requires a GF diet. They were very good on the ship about having GF pasta and bread. You must let them know about the need for a special diet and keep reminding them. Sometimes the message just doesn't get through. The bread and the pasta are very good.

My husband also requires a GF diet. They were very good on the ship about having GF pasta and bread. You must let them know about the need for a special diet and keep reminding them. Sometimes the message just doesn't get through. The bread and the pasta are very good.

To be fair, there are a those people who request a special diet, who may decide, after seeing all of the delicious food on the ship, that they prefer not to be a slave to it's restrictions.

Oceania does not require documentation for dietary requests, and they have no way of knowing if said Request is medically necessary, a self diagnosis, or simply a preference born of eccentricity.

Once the request for a special diet has been made, Oceania commits itself to having the proper foods available and preparing them in an uncontaminated manner, but it is up to the Passenger to be the gatekeeper of what he does or does not consume.

• 3 years later...

I too have celiac and must be gluten free. Supposedly it was noted at the time we booked. I was told I needn’t to anything more. Some lines you must complete medical requests forms. I was told to identify myself to dining services and always alert waitstaff etc. I am always so nervous about new dining experiences even after more than 16 yrs. I would appreciate any advice. I am particularly concerned about embarking and the buffet. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celiac disease is very serious but some people think it is a diet and it is not. You actually can gain weight on this diet but again if your are truly Celiac you need to avoid gluten and inform your waiter about it. Most if not all cruise lines know this and will accommodate you.

Gluten-free products in stores are very expensive and as I mentioned some people must have them but it is not a diet for weight control for people who are not affected.

I have IBS and know I cannot eat nuts so I just monitor this. Oh, and I love nuts.

I am celiac and relatively sensitive and have been pleased with the protocols on Oceania.

Check in with the dining reservations deck on day 1 to make sure they got the message that you are gluten free (my TA always notes it but I am not always on the list... Who knows, not a big deal as long as you check).

Embarcation lunch is relatively easy in my experience since the carving station items are whole roast Turkey and steam ship cut rack of beef. if you want a full overview, identify yourself as gf to a server and ask for guidance - they will usually fetch a chef to take you around the buffet. Or you can ask about specific dishes (without a full tour) - usually still results in a chef to answer.

Embarkation dinner I don't remember ever getting the menu ahead so you have to self-identify and it may take a bit longer to confirm that your order can be accomodated.

Typically you will get a copy of Tuesday's dinner menu first thing Monday morning, to make your selections and drop off at the dining reservation desk by 10am Monday.

Breakfast you can request gf pancakes in the Grand Dining Room but your server may not know they exist. (You will get them but may need to encourage the server to check with the kitchen). Tea time you have to ask-some voltages there are lots of gf goodies prepped, but a few years ago on one voyage there were none the day I asked.

I’m gluten free by necessity and Oceania is great about helping me fully enjoy my cruises. GF pasta and breads/dinner rolls have always been available. Talk with the chef in the Terrace Cafe and he/she will assist with your selections. I’ve experienced them quickly making me GF gravies and had them delivered to my table.

You will receive the following day’s menu for turning in with your selections if dining in the restaurants.

Celiac disease is very serious but some people think it is a diet and it is not. You actually can gain weight on this diet but again if your are truly Celiac you need to avoid gluten and inform your waiter about it. Most if not all cruise lines know this and will accommodate you.

Gluten-free products in stores are very expensive and as I mentioned some people must have them but it is not a diet for weight control for people who are not affected.

I have IBS and know I cannot eat nuts so I just monitor this. Oh, and I love nuts.

Agreed- I gained weight because I now am absorbing. The GF diet fad is a doubled edged sword. It has greatly improved products and awareness, Enabling us with the freedom to dine out. However the dabblers who don’t need to be GF sometimes leave wait staff and restaurateurs with the impression it is not serious.

Thank you for your encouraging reply.

I’m gluten free by necessity and Oceania is great about helping me fully enjoy my cruises. GF pasta and breads/dinner rolls have always been available. Talk with the chef in the Terrace Cafe and he/she will assist with your selections. I’ve experienced them quickly making me GF gravies and had them delivered to my table.

You will receive the following day’s menu for turning in with your selections if dining in the restaurants.

Thank you so much for the information. I am looking forward to this cruise.