Sirena inside rooms Cat F and G

firstforty2012

Has anyone had experience with the inside Cat F and G rooms? Im looking at a pretty long cruise and there is sizable price difference. The cat G appears to be the same cabin but perhaps in less desirable areas. Anyone ever use this cat and if so what do you think?

On our very first cruise ever we were in an inside cabin F on the 8th deck of the Regatta. We liked the itinerary on the 12 day cruise and this was the only cabin remaining. I had no problem but my husband really couldn't deal with the absence of natural light. Both F and G have the same square footage. The F cabins are on the 7th and 8th deck and the G cabins are on the lower decks. These cabins are all mid ship which is good for sea sickness and if you are really prone then go for a lower level.

Has anyone had experience with the inside Cat F and G rooms? Im looking at a pretty long cruise and there is sizable price difference. The cat G appears to be the same cabin but perhaps in less desirable areas. Anyone ever use this cat and if so what do you think?

Last July, Oceania offered us a great deal to downgrade to an inside cat G on our 20 night Nautica cruise. We took it, and enjoyed the cabin and all the extra money from Oceania. Would do it again in a heartbeat!!:)

On our very first cruise ever we were in an inside cabin F on the 8th deck of the Regatta. We liked the itinerary on the 12 day cruise and this was the only cabin remaining. I had no problem but my husband really couldn't deal with the absence of natural light. Both F and G have the same square footage. The F cabins are on the 7th and 8th deck and the G cabins are on the lower decks. These cabins are all mid ship which is good for sea sickness and if you are really prone then go for a lower level.

Three of the four category G cabins on Deck 4 are handicap accessible; at least one of them has a second door through which it adjoins the medical center. I believe that it is 4035, but don't quote me.

We've enjoyed the inside cabins in F and G category, with no problems. Less ship movement with an inside cabin, but it really depends on how much time you spend in your cabin and how you want to spend your money. Dark and quiet, makes for a very good night's sleep.

Mary

On our first cruise ever (12 days?) we were in one of the Deck 4 handicap rooms on Nautica. The bathroom was HUGE, which we loved. It worked out fine for us at the time - the cruise was very port intensive. However, we DID miss the natural light and have booked B cabins on subsequent cruises. That first experience was enough to hook us permanently on Oceania!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We almost always book an F or G and have always been quite happy with the money we saved. In our opinion, having a view outside, especially a veranda, is over-rated! If I want to see what's going on outside (though frequently it's nothing!) I'll turn on the TV to see what's on the web cam at the front of the ship - or just go upstairs and go outside. Most of the inside cabins are in the right place for us - mid-ship, very convenient, so it works for us. We've been in veranda cabins before, and barely noticed the size difference once you close the curtains on the veranda. Service in the inside cabins is just as good, too - although obviously without a butler or fruit and cookies, etc.

• 1 month later...
We almost always book an F or G and have always been quite happy with the money we saved. In our opinion, having a view outside, especially a veranda, is over-rated! If I want to see what's going on outside (though frequently it's nothing!) I'll turn on the TV to see what's on the web cam at the front of the ship - or just go upstairs and go outside. Most of the inside cabins are in the right place for us - mid-ship, very convenient, so it works for us. We've been in veranda cabins before, and barely noticed the size difference once you close the curtains on the veranda. Service in the inside cabins is just as good, too - although obviously without a butler or fruit and cookies, etc.

Do you get sea sick more easily when in an inside cabin? Do you feel claustrophobic? Does the constant darkness bother you?

FWIW, We usually book a balcony cabin or suite when we cruise with Princess and Celebrity. We enjoy the sunlight, and sitting on our balcony, and enjoying the ocean view whenever time of day or night.

We are booked on a 7 day Oceania cruise to Cuba. B1 Balcony, mid ship. But since it's a more expensive cruise line, maybe save some money re-booking an inside cabin? It will be our first cruise on Oceania, as we want to try cruising on a small ship luxury experience to see if we'll like it.

Our TA said Oceania has a much older PAX demographic, and the ship is asleep by 9:00 p.m. Is this true? :eek:

Your opinions?

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Hi King - we Started out in an inside cabin on Nautica 2 years ago but have chosen B1 or B2s on 3 subsequent cruises. My experience was much LESS movement (for seasickness) in the inside cabin, but we rarely notice the bumpy rides anywhere. As far as the ship asleep by nine, that depends on the cruise. More so on our December Panama Canal cruise than our European cruises. We're on the May 4 (2018) Cuba cruise, which I imagine being a more energetic bunch than usual. I'm taking my 27year old son, and he will definitely not be asleep by 9.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our TA said Oceania has a much older PAX demographic, and the ship is asleep by 9:00 p.m. Is this true? :eek:

Your opinions?

Thank you.

the ship may be asleep but there are plenty of people out & about

It also depends on the itinerary...if port intensive people tend to retire by 11pm so they can be up & off the ship early in the morning

Caribbean cruises are a bit more relaxed

YMMV

The ones on deck 8 are positioned with the PH and its maybe the best location on the ship zip to everything, just excellent access to everything. Wonderful restful sleep and quiet... need a view turn the TV. I have spent 11 and 14 days in one and once out of the cabin you have the same ship as the Penthouse folks.... Better to cruise more than cruise like a king.. On transatlantic where the weather may be iffy or there is no view of anything except the thin blue line... A veranda is to me a waste.... better to be in Horizons and on deck.... And yes I used to stay in verandas and PH... they have a place for the right cruise like Tahiti and Norway

Do you get sea sick more easily when in an inside cabin? Do you feel claustrophobic? Does the constant darkness bother you?

FWIW, We usually book a balcony cabin or suite when we cruise with Princess and Celebrity. We enjoy the sunlight, and sitting on our balcony, and enjoying the ocean view whenever time of day or night.

We are booked on a 7 day Oceania cruise to Cuba. B1 Balcony, mid ship. But since it's a more expensive cruise line, maybe save some money re-booking an inside cabin? It will be our first cruise on Oceania, as we want to try cruising on a small ship luxury experience to see if we'll like it.

Your opinions?

Thank you.

No you feel motion even less, the darkness provides a very restful night Turn on the TV if you want a view, Never felt claustrophobic even after 2 weeks in one. I would say most ot the ship is asleep by 10-10:30

Sailing to cuba for 7 days....go inside They are also better cooled and AC... and access to the pool deck than a B1

Most of the inside rooms on all O ships are mid-ship, which is the best place to be if you don't like motion or get seasick. I also find mid-ship great because you're never all that far from any place on the ship. I don't get claustrophobic, but I suppose some people might. However, if you're spending a lot of time somewhere other than the room, it may not even matter. O's itineraries are pretty port-intensive, so we don't tend to spend that much time in the room except to sleep. Yes, it's dark. Yes, there's no view - although for a view of sorts, I sometimes turn on the TV and turn to the channel that shows the webcam view (ahead of the ship). People are older for the most part, but I certainly wouldn't say most people go back to their rooms at 9 - but the majority are by midnight for sure!

Better to cruise more than cruise like a king.

At our age (first of the baby boomers), we figure why not cruise like a king? We have worked hard, saved our money carefully and provided for our family. Let's enjoy a top suite and all of its amenities while we are still "young" and active enough to appreciate it.

We just booked one of the handicapped cabins on deck 4 on Nautica (?)-Hong Kong to Bangkok, February 4, 2018 because it was the last G cabin available. I get very seasick so low, inside, with a bed facing forward works well for me but I would feel horrible if someone in a wheelchair couldn't cruise because I took their cabin. She notified Oceania that we are willing to move if someone needs that cabin and they put a note in their record and promised to contact us if the need arises.

Mary

We just booked one of the handicapped cabins on deck 4 on Nautica (?)-Hong Kong to Bangkok, February 4, 2018 because it was the last G cabin available. I get very seasick so low, inside, with a bed facing forward works well for me but I would feel horrible if someone in a wheelchair couldn't cruise because I took their cabin. She notified Oceania that we are willing to move if someone needs that cabin and they put a note in their record and promised to contact us if the need arises.

Mary

hopefully you do not get bumped to one of the upper decks in the forward cabins :eek:

We had an inside cabin on the Ocean Princess (now the Oceania Sirena) for a 12-day cruise of the Med, and it was great. These cabins are relatively spacious for an inside with a love seat for lounging about. Didn't feel at all claustrophobic, and since we had a very port-intensive trip, we really didn't need anything larger. I like the near total darkness for sleeping. And I LOVE this ship. Go for it.

Mary

Don't worry, Oceania will work it out if a handicapped person needs it. However, I WOULD make sure your travel agent knows that you have known seasickness problems. As LHT28 mentioned, you don't want to be right at the front or back of the ship.

We have cruised with Oceania on both the O and R ships. We have been in insides up through A1 concierge. The only cabins we will not book are the E category on R ships and all insides on the O ships because they do not have sofas.

I didn't think it was possible for either of us to be affected by motion until we traveled three weeks on Insignia in cabin 7002. That is one of two G category insides that are forward across from Vista Suites. It was a very last minute booking (for us) at four weeks out. We had traveled in cabins all the way forward before, but the Insignia itinerary encompassed Sydney to Papeete when the ship was trying (with mixed results) to avoid very high winds (we missed two ports due to those winds). I found that I could not read nor work on my ipad or laptop in the cabin when we were in a lot of motion and simply went to a lower public area to read or work. Sleeping was no problem since we actually enjoy some motion. On a couple of sea days, the shower had a bit more movement than typical, but was manageable.

Having said this, I would like to add that neither of us missed any meals---including breakfast---and the motion in that cabin did not prevent us from enjoying anything else anywhere on the ship (exception---they closed the pool on several days). A friend who has experienced over 30 cruises---mostly with Oceania---is very sensitive to motion and books very early so she can get a Category D on Deck 3 on the R ships.

We had an inside cabin on Marina (10038) and aside from the lack of sofa, found that Baltic sailing to be quite enjoyable even though it was quite high on the ship. On the R ships, the midship insides have also been fine.

We have not used our balconies very much when we have booked them since we like to be out and about even on sea days---and yes, we have had an extended balcony (7124) on Riviera. Sometimes it has been too hot, humid, cold or windy on the balcony. And when the scenery is magnificent---like in Alaska, we usually go to an open upper deck to see the view since the balcony cabins give only one side of the view. The balcony cabins we do like are the A category concierge cabins with the full hot breakfasts, pressing of clothes, priority dining reservations, spa lounge access, and that bottle of champagne waiting when you board :D.

But more often than not, if we have the choice, we pick an inside or ocean view category and do something wonderful with the money we save. But those categories do get booked quickly!

I apologize for length.

Enjoy your cruise---wherever you are on the ship!

At our age (first of the baby boomers), we figure why not cruise like a king? We have worked hard, saved our money carefully and provided for our family. Let's enjoy a top suite and all of its amenities while we are still "young" and active enough to appreciate it.

I am in the same situation.....but, dare I say it...there is more to life than cruising. I value value and to be frank, other than a few more square feet inside vs PH, there is little difference between it and a inside. In all honesty Its the quality of the ship and I enjoy the ship. A cabin is merely a vehicle on the ship who's function is to provide a bathroom a closet and a place to sleep. What you add to that is dictated by your wealth, your ego and your demands/needs.

I too have worked hard, saved but I dont want to throw money at something because I have some If cursing is your sole focus on life and outlet for enjoyment I see your point. If not...and it's only a once or twice a year break from life and you have other wants,Sports cars, Airplanes, Sailboats, Skiiing, Golf, Biking, camping, hiking then you might see cruising as parsley on the plate rather than the entree its self.

Pick for your needs and wants is my motto..

Your opinions?

Thank you.

Hi there Kingofcool. Look at my signature below... I'm an experienced cruiser but finally now trying O for the first time as well as you. I've sailed in everything from an inside to suites on Royal... there have been many times where the balcony was barely used and others where I wished I had one (ie. when I've been on extended aft or hump balconies).

I'm booked to Cuba as well, but in an inside. I feel that the ship will be so beautiful and different than what I am used to that I will thoroughly enjoy various the public venues day and night and I enjoy meeting people... therefore for me very little use of the balcony. I am taking the savings and putting it towards some great excursions and I feel the full drink package is a must on Oceania from what I've been researching.. I'm not a big drinker but I do have at least one cocktail pre-dinner, wine with dinner, and at least one cocktail in the evening during shows and hanging out with people. I've read many times that many of the mixed drinks (especially doubles) can run over $20 each so the drink package is a bargain imho for me. I've selected the select package offered with Olife choice, and then upon getting on board will immediately upgrade for $20pp per day to the full premium package.

That's the way I see it so I hope it works out for me! :)

Hi there Kingofcool. Look at my signature below... I'm an experienced cruiser but finally now trying O for the first time as well as you. I've sailed in everything from an inside to suites on Royal... there have been many times where the balcony was barely used and others where I wished I had one (ie. when I've been on extended aft or hump balconies).

I'm booked to Cuba as well, but in an inside. I feel that the ship will be so beautiful and different than what I am used to that I will thoroughly enjoy various the public venues day and night and I enjoy meeting people... therefore for me very little use of the balcony. I am taking the savings and putting it towards some great excursions and I feel the full drink package is a must on Oceania from what I've been researching.. I'm not a big drinker but I do have at least one cocktail pre-dinner, wine with dinner, and at least one cocktail in the evening during shows and hanging out with people. I've read many times that many of the mixed drinks (especially doubles) can run over $20 each so the drink package is a bargain imho for me. I've selected the select package offered with Olife choice, and then upon getting on board will immediately upgrade for $20pp per day to the full premium package.

That's the way I see it so I hope it works out for me! :)

+1 a wise practical approach...based on you experience and perceived needs for the cruise... I agree a balcony would be a waste to cuba

• 1 year later...