Future of Oceania

shellsrus

Thank you ABoatNerd. Oceania ‘s Future is not necessarily in its present.

The gaint cloud hanging over cruise lines, other than current debt, is oil prices. Even though they have settled a bit from earlier highs, they have already made a strong move upwards. Airlines have already adjusted, with many of the really low fares disappearing. The number of gallons of fuel oil burnt per hour , even by the smaller R ships, is huge. Another strong upward movement in oil prices will result in higher cruise prices to offset costs. Oceania can’t really get into a position of attempting to underbid the other lines. Staying healthy in volatile markets requires flexible pricing and nimble marketing. Selling out cruises two years in advance, via low prices, could be a dog that comes back to bite. This is especially the case where they won’t see the money for 18+ months!

One of the general managers told me not to be surprised if two additional O class ships would be joining the fleet in the near future. I seriously doubt Oceania would be building larger than those given that the new Regent ship is also, by today’s standards, intimate:

The new all-suite, all-balcony ship will have a gross tonnage of 55,254 and capacity of 750 guests. Stay tuned for more details about Seven Seas Splendor and her exciting inaugural season.”

Pinotlover makes an excellent point - what is the future target market for Oceania?

The age profile noted by pinotlover is not sustainable for the future and not suitable to justify a new build program.

Oceania should pursue my demographic 50-65 who have 25 years of cruising futures. This would be half the shelf life of a new build.

This is the same demographic that the highest level mass line Celebrity is kicking to the curb in their pursuit of the millennial customer. That is how Oceania received my business as a former long time Celebrity customer.

We agree whole heartily that O should target the 50-65 demographic, as we are in our mid 60's, and they are from what we've noticed on the 4 cruises we've been on recently.

However, I disagree we your assessment of X. We were just on a 25 day B2B to the Canary Islands and then on a TA back to Miami and we had a blast!! Every sea day there were 3 lectures, the music was from the 60-70s, Jane Currey and the CD were great, they had interactive game shows and everyone was having a great time!! For us if we want to be thoroughly entertained with music from our era, X is hitting the mark.

With O, there shows are more intimate, but still geared towards music from the 60s to the 80's. But, their GREAT food and itineraries are what keep us coming back to O. Now, we've only done 4 cruises with them, but we will definitely be sailing with both of them for the next 20+ years if all goes well.

We agree whole heartily that O should target the 50-65 demographic, as we are in our mid 60's, and they are from what we've noticed on the 4 cruises we've been on recently.

However, I disagree we your assessment of X. We were just on a 25 day B2B to the Canary Islands and then on a TA back to Miami and we had a blast!! Every sea day there were 3 lectures, the music was from the 60-70s, Jane Currey and the CD were great, they had interactive game shows and everyone was having a great time!! For us if we want to be thoroughly entertained with music from our era, X is hitting the mark.

With O, there shows are more intimate, but still geared towards music from the 60s to the 80's. But, their GREAT food and itineraries are what keep us coming back to O. Now, we've only done 4 cruises with them, but we will definitely be sailing with both of them for the next 20+ years if all goes well.

Agree 100 % but into the future we new a few new builds. Got to keep the product fresh.

The current situation re pricing levels is interesting, as the current listed prices for both X and Azamara for 2019 have moved them both to be comparable with and sometimes dearer than O, much to the consternation of the X & Az CC boards.

Given the number of folk across the industry that book cruises 12 plus months in advance, O might start to pick up those discerning folk that are getting fed up with the apparent nickel & diming and hard selling that particularly X has been accused of.

That's exactly why Richard & I made the jump from X to Oceania. I'll admit I found the Riviera to be small compared to Cunard/Regal Princess/Celebrity Eclipse. After a few days on board, the ship became just like the comfy leather chair you never want to get up out of. Everything was just about perfect. We found the pax generally more "senior" than on the other lines we've traveled, which was fine by us.

We agree. We really like Celebrity. It ticks all the boxes for us. We just booked our cruise for next May on Celebrity. We looked hard at Oceania for a similar itinerary. Granted it was 14 days vs 10 but it was $3000 more for an inside with no perks vs an oversized balcony with drinks on Celebrity. The difference in the itinerary was the Amalfi Coast. We’ll just add three nights pre-cruise in Positano. I just don’t see the value of booking an inside on Oceania vs a balcony in Celebrity. I’ll eat foie gras when I get home.

We have done many Celebrity Cruises, mass market lines and luxury lines.

We are in the 60's range, retired.

We have 25 plus cruises under our belts. We now tend to look at ships that offer a more intimate and smaller setting.

We have done large ships with many bells and whistles, and smaller more relaxing lines. We now tend to look at the smaller ships, we don't need the extra shows, bars, sliding boards at the pool, etc.

We also don't want to be the youngest on the ship.

Oceania seems to fit the bill. I too am hoping that they bring out another new ship or two. I guess a lot depends on the bottom line and where the parent company wants to put their dollars.

JMHO

Barb

I just don’t see the value of booking an inside on Oceania vs a balcony in Celebrity. I’ll eat foie gras when I get home.

That’s a perfectly legitimate point of view if you are content on Celebrity.

While Oceania is by far our preferred cruise line, we occasionally sail on other lines for itineraries - like Princess - knowing what we will get as compared to Oceania. As long as we know what to expect and get what we paid for we are content to do that for special itineraries. Also, we are Elite on Princess with many perks - that helps as well. :)

Count me in as one that also disagrees with ABN’s assessment of X. I cruise about 2-1 on Oceania but enjoy the Celebrity product just fine the way it is. It seems to me there are too many posters on the Celebrity board that are wanting champagne at beer prices. I take each of them for what they are, and don’t expect them to remake their product just to suit me.

Count me in as one that also disagrees with ABN’s assessment of X. I cruise about 2-1 on Oceania but enjoy the Celebrity product just fine the way it is. It seems to me there are too many posters on the Celebrity board that are wanting champagne at beer prices. I take each of them for what they are, and don’t expect them to remake their product just to suit me.

We found itineraries on Celebrity overall very good.(fans of the Eclipse) The entertainment used to be excellent but has seen some cutbacks. The food(our main passion)declined dramatically. Enough so we started looking elsewhere. We have a large food service co. & are true "foodies". While the specialty rest. are still excellent, the MDR declined amazingly in one year. For a line that bills itself as premium, it no longer fit the bill. We tried 10 days on the Riviera in Jan. It was great. Enough so, that we booked a 14 day trip in Jan.2019. The entertainment on board was rather boring, but we knew the entertainment was the food. Can't say we'll be devoted members of the line(as it's quite pricey)but you get what you pay for is the old adage. It's when you get less & less, but pay more that hurts.

Imo the only decent food on celebrity is in luminae, the suite restAurant. As good as oceania. Everything else has declined tremendously. We used to love the mdr on celebrity. No more

As for blu, the tables are so close together and the noise level so high that it is difficult to enjoy a meal

We are elite on celebrity but find the overall experience no longer suits us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to agree with the poster who states that the food quality has gone down on X.

We started sailing on X a few weeks after the Century had come out.

It was a different animal back then.

The Celebrity of today is just a flash of what it was back then.

Sometimes we cruise for relaxation, sometimes we cruise because of the itinerary and after the Insignia we are sailing with the grandkids on RCCL. We take each line for what it is and how that particular line would suit our needs.

Royal is no where in my lists of favorites, but I know the kids will love it.

I’ve always said, the best cruise line is the one you are enjoying at the time.

[quote=Cruise Junky;56526547

. I just don’t see the value of booking an inside on Oceania vs a balcony in Celebrity. I’ll eat foie gras when I get home.

Other than the food comparing Celebrity to Oceania, Its the mass of humanity is. 3 to 5 times larger on celeb.!!!

Second not fond of the overt class system celeb promotes ( different restaurants for different cabins ) O has a very subtle passenger distinction...confined to reservations for the same restaurants everyone can visit

Id gladly pay extra to avoid being on a 3000 pax ship

After booking every class from Penthouse on down, I found I enjoyed the insides just as much. Seldom used the balcony preferring to be out and about... Same with dining... cabin dining even in a PH seemed cramped and glorified room service.

Other than the food comparing Celebrity to Oceania, Its the mass of humanity is. 3 to 5 times larger on celeb.!!!

Second not fond of the overt class system celeb promotes ( different restaurants for different cabins ) O has a very subtle passenger distinction...confined to reservations for the same restaurants everyone can visit

After booking every class from Penthouse on down, I found I enjoyed the insides just as much. Seldom used the balcony preferring to be out and about... Same with dining... cabin dining even in a PH seemed cramped and glorified room service.

Ditto. Plus it’s fairly easy to get additional reservations in the specialty restaurants even when cruising in an inside cabin.

Different strokes. I’ve never actually found Celebrity ships crowded. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. We like the vibe of Celebrity. Love the martini bar, the silent disco. It’s a good fit. Last cruise we got a great deal on a six dinner package. We had a great time with outstanding food.

Different strokes. I’ve never actually found Celebrity ships crowded. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. We like the vibe of Celebrity. Love the martini bar, the silent disco. It’s a good fit. Last cruise we got a great deal on a six dinner package. We had a great time with outstanding food.

No..your right it is all a matter of perspective. Neither one is wrong or right its what you like or as you said " a good fit"

Its the same for amenities. If you want amenity that they offer on line A then go on line A If you want a change and go to line B but want everything A offers on your B cruise, is that really a change???

I agree. On the S class ships there was always "good" flow. There does tend to be less crowds on the Riviera, but that was because it was purposely built to handle a set amount of pax.

One of the general managers told me not to be surprised if two additional O class ships would be joining the fleet in the near future. I seriously doubt Oceania would be building larger than those given that the new Regent ship is also, by today’s standards, intimate:

The new all-suite, all-balcony ship will have a gross tonnage of 55,254 and capacity of 750 guests. Stay tuned for more details about Seven Seas Splendor and her exciting inaugural season.”

This could be the way into the future for Oceania. In my opinion would be a very good thing for them and us, their loyal guests. And for the most part we are pretty loyal. :):):)

More R or R+ ships, with only two Specialties, do nothing for us. More O ships sailing itineraries not currently covered by O ships is the answer.

I want to do that circumnavigation of Japan on an O ship with all the perks of that ship!

More R or R+ ships, with only two Specialties, do nothing for us. More O ships sailing itineraries not currently covered by O ships is the answer.

I want to do that circumnavigation of Japan on an O ship with all the perks of that ship!

We are with you on this, and not just for Japan!

:)

We'd LOVE to see an O ship on some of the really appealing itineraries now done by the R ships.

We've occasionally gone back and forth with the listings, somehow (I suppose) hoping we missed something on one of the 2 "larger" ships. These seem to be just the right size (and design!) for us.

And having all 4 specialty restaurants is very important to us (yes, first world fussiness if ever there was such).

GC