Kosher food?

CRUISEWITHH

no kosher kitchen..frozen food that has to be preordered..

Jancruz1

Absolutely accurate information, but they must carry a few dishes in reserve because I innocently mentioned my passion for kreplach to our Butler, and there they were the next day on a silver salver at happy hour....

K3-@540.jpg My original intention was to tell him that he needn't have bothered, but by the time that we saw him again, all of the kreplach had.....er.....disappeared! :p

• Like 1

Looking at the Kreplach chances are they were not certified but rather made on the ship.

There is no, as was said before, kosher kitchen and for those that eat fish and dairy they will do their best but no guarantees. We got a lovely fish that had she'll fish added and not mentioned on menu. Of course it was returned for broiled salmon which was fine. They don't always get it,

Edited by orchestrapal
  • Thanks 1

In Alaska, in 2013, the Kosher food was rather "poor" and I believe it was Weberman's as the supplier. We made do with fish, breakfasts, and other choices. It certainly was good. But I understand that they have changed suppliers. Perhaps it will be better now. I certainly hope so as I'm planning to cruise again with my Kosher family.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Absolutely accurate information, but they must carry a few dishes in reserve because I innocently mentioned my passion for kreplach to our Butler, and there they were the next day on a silver salver at happy hour....

K3-@540.jpg My original intention was to tell him that he needn't have bothered, but by the time that we saw him again, all of the kreplach had.....er.....disappeared! :p

Hi I am Arlette, Lady of the Nile, I loved your little info re: the kreplach. We are sailing on Marina in April 2019, and I have pre-ordered Kosher, but now you say its frozen I may change my mind. It all sounds lovely though. We went on Riviera a couple of years ago, the restaurants were great, but we'll see. Thanks again. Arlette and Murray.

Hi I am Arlette, Lady of the Nile, I loved your little info re: the kreplach. We are sailing on Marina in April 2019, and I have pre-ordered Kosher, but now you say its frozen I may change my mind. It all sounds lovely though. We went on Riviera a couple of years ago, the restaurants were great, but we'll see. Thanks again. Arlette and Murray.

It’s the same Kosher food one gets on the airlines...:loudcry:

If you are only eating only the offered K fare it is very limited.

Yes they are kreplach but we do not know if they are kosher. Big difference.

I know that Crystal does have a small Kosher kitchen and some other lines as well.

If this is correct, I wish we had known.

We had some friends who wanted to take a family reunion cruise a couple of years ago, but didn't want the frozen kosher food.

Good to know for the future!

We'll look into it for them next time.

All I knew about were some special charters (or semi-charters) where part of the regular kitchen is koshered for group meals.

That would have been fine for them, except for the little "scheduling" factor.

Thanks for mentioning this.

GC

Actually, per the Crystal website,they also use prepackaged Kosher meals:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/cruise-guidebook/before-you-sail-checklist/special-dietary-requests

SPECIAL DIETARY REQUESTS

If you require a special diet, including any food allergies, or need specific food items during your cruise, we ask that you please submit your written dietary requests to our Onboard Guest Services Department by fax: 310-785-3975 or email: YachtButler@CrystalCruises.com at least 90 days (3 months) prior to sailing, and confirm your arrangements with the Food and Beverage staff on the day of embarkation. There may be a charge for some special requests, as well as any applicable shipping fees.

A wide choice of pre-packaged kosher-certified meals, including meats, seafood and poultry as well as white and red kosher wines is available on a limited basis, on every itinerary. All chefs, kitchen and dining staff have been trained in kosher food preparation, handling and servicing. Only kosher pots, pans and utensils are used, and plates, silverware and glassware are washed separately. Due to limited provisioning resources, the number of guests per cruise who may partake in our kosher-style program is restricted to 20. Guests whose diet requires or who wish to dine kosher-style must provide us with advance notice at the time of the initial reservation, and no less than 90 days prior to sailing. We will do all that we can to ensure your needs are met. Due to limited availability, kosher-style dining is subject to confirmation from Crystal Cruises.

While Crystal does not have a "Kosher Kitchen" they do prepare kosher cuisine using pots, utensils that are kosher as well as serving them on kosher plates, with kosher glasses and kosher utensils. You will find that some kosher food is fresh and other food is frozen. As noted above you should request this in advance; at least 90 days in advance.

Keith

I believe the last ship to have a "real" kosher galley, was the RMS QE2, which retired from Cunard service in 2008. It even had a small synagogue on board. That ship has now been converted to a hotel/convention center in Dubai.

Needless to say, all traces of those have been removed...

• Like 1