First night dining

paumarier

GDR. We share a table to meet folks! On the first night, the Terrace is very crowded. We just put on slacks and go to GDR for leisurely pace. Have been asked twice to go to specialty restaurant on first night (while standing in line for GDR), and have opted for that also.

Terraces. First night after muster drill we enjoy a cocktail or two in Horizons and then get to Terraces about an hour after it’s open. Not crowded and depending on itinerary a lovely dinner under the stars😍

MRS. I like to sit at a big table and meet new people. Of course if I was offered a specialty restaurant while waiting in line for MDR I would consider it.

GDR

We like to do sharing and meet people, and the GDR is the perfect place. (1) Not a buffet for dinner fan on any night, (2) Large number of buffet eaters seem to prefer eating alone on two tops or just take a four top and still eat alone. In the GDR and Specialties, the tables are seated, with everyone receiving the courses together. Never a fan at dinner of sitting down in an empty chair to start my meal, while my table mates are off to get dessert (Terrace) and May soon be leaving.

We typically eat a nice lunch ashore before boarding at 2:30-3:00 so aren’t starving by any means! Even though the actual dress code is the same, we typically dress a bit nicer/elegantly for the Specialties. Therefore , we can hit a very happy medium , in the GDR, while meeting new sailing companions .

What is your preference for dining venue on the first night of your cruise? Do you prefer the MDR, a speciality restaurant, terrace cafe, etc??? And why?

The Terrace Cafe in good weather on the deck, there is not a better location to have dinner during sail away. Watching the lights recede into the distance with a glass of good wine, Fantastic!

What is your preference for dining venue on the first night of your cruise? Do you prefer the MDR, a speciality restaurant, terrace cafe, etc??? And why?

Ok.... the Terrace, casual, great food relaxing. an hour or so after it opens no crowds or 1.5 hours better.

Let me paint a picture, YOU; just arrived to port from a flight, may be 2 to 4 hours jet lag, Then waiting around to check in, Waiting to get cabin, waiting to get bags, checking everything, un packing, attending the life boat drill, going back to cabin putting stuff away again.

This can use up a bit of energy and reserve, No need to change clothes Terrace is casual however the Main Dining room can be a bit more dressy. most would want to change which is one more thing for you to do.

As to meeting others... who are all in the same boat as you tired, and maybe not in a fun loving outgoing mood as they will be the next day...

Your #1 thing to do on boarding day, well it is for me, get organized and rested for the next morning.

It is not a contest.

You will have more good meals in more places than you can handle . Meeting other rested happy people day 2 will be even more enjoyable.

I’m going to be the contrarian here. In our experience the first night is a great night to try to score an additional reservation at a specialty restaurant, particularly the most popular ones like Jacques and Red Ginger. There tend to be more openings there on the first night. If not, MDR and the Terrace are always available.

And you’ll want to eat at the MDR on the second night, which generallly is one of its two gala dinners with caviar and foie gras...

We use the same dining strategy on RSSC ships as well.

I’m going to be the contrarian here. In our experience the first night is a great night to try to score an additional reservation at a specialty restaurant, particularly the most popular ones like Jacques and Red Ginger. There tend to be more openings there on the first night. .

Won’t be the case if you keep advertising it :)

We are usually in a specialty first night. We prefer not to share and do not book high cabins, so by the time we reserve, there isn’t much choice. First night always has some openings in one of the restaurants for a two top.

Paulchlli:

People generally are not inclined to reserve specialty restaurants on the first night (and some will cancel due to jet lag), so I’m not concerned that merely my posting will suddenly cause them to fill up.

Paulchlli:

People generally are not inclined to reserve specialty restaurants on the first night (and some will cancel due to jet lag), so I’m not concerned that merely my posting will suddenly cause them to fill up.

I agree that most people are not inclined to make reservations for the first night (travel, jet lag, etc) - that is why there are openings.

OTOH, not many people know the fact that they can look for and probably obtain reservations for the first night after boarding. That is where the availability may change over time once this becomes general knowledge.

But - this is CC and it’s all about sharing info. My statement had a smiley - it was meant in jest.

I wonder how many O cruisers actually fits Hawaiidan’s profile? How many of us actually fly in the day of embarkment? I’m usually in port 2-3 days early. Cruising for itinerary, not ship, the embarkment port is typically a big draw for us. Furthermore, I can eat roast turkey, or some of the other ship’s fare, anytime in the States! If I’m embarking in Barcelona, Roma, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc, etc, etc, I can get amazing fresh produce in authentic local cuisine that far surpasses anything the Terrace offers. An authentic local lunch , with fresh produce early afternoon, with copious amounts of wine, holds me easily until we’ll past 19:00.

I don’t even relate to the example Dan gave! Dan, you’re retired, why are YOU, flying in on embarkment day and facing the circumstances you defined?

We do about 50-50: fly in the day of cruising versus coming in a couple days early to enjoy the embarkation port. So goes with the first night and specialty restaurants - sometimes booked ahead of time, and sometimes just because the offered location kind of "hit the spot" as we got on board!

I wonder how many O cruisers actually fits Hawaiidan’s profile? How many of us actually fly in the day of embarkment? I’m usually in port 2-3 days early. Cruising for itinerary, not ship, the embarkment port is typically a big draw for us. Furthermore, I can eat roast turkey, or some of the other ship’s fare, anytime in the States! If I’m embarking in Barcelona, Roma, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc, etc, etc, I can get amazing fresh produce in authentic local cuisine that far surpasses anything the Terrace offers. An authentic local lunch , with fresh produce early afternoon, with copious amounts of wine, holds me easily until we’ll past 19:00.

I don’t even relate to the example Dan gave! Dan, you’re retired, why are YOU, flying in on embarkment day and facing the circumstances you defined?

Forgetting the come in early, as many only come in 1 maybe 2 max. But forget that.

There is the energy and hype of first getting to the ship. It uses up most all the day counting taxi from hotel to ship or airport, hustling bags etc. lines waiting for this or that. With your hand baggage with you after check in I don't see going back ashore as an option.

No matter how you look at it boarding day take a lot out of anyone, whether your in port for a hour or a week. There is a lot to do that boarding day and Adrenalin will be flowing. .it takes its toll unless your 22 !

Glad you like to eat ashore. Me, I have seen too many bad experiences and if I want to get some cuisine I will make a land trip for it and plan my trip around restaurants. Port cities can be a mixed bag some industrial wastelands others like HKG and BKK have lots. but places near the port are pretty much tourist or longshoreman's dives. But I came to cruise and getting sick at the start is not very fun way to begin.

For me the cruise is about the ship#1 and ports #2 and I plan my cruise that way. ( I love ship travel and if they went out for 10 days and cruised in circles Id be pleased as punch

My boarding pattern/ profile is to stay at my hotel till around 2 pm resting, taxi to the pier and board around 2;45-3:15 I never hit the boarding day Terrace plenty of time for meals later Normally my wife and I are 2 meal per day folks. Dont have to haul bags around, my cabin is ready no waiting, relaxed put stuff away grab life jacket and go relax in the place where the live boat drill will be then hang out watching sail away on deck 5 on the rail instead of fighting for stair or elevator access on deck 9-10.

Go to dinner around 2030 at Terrace same time as the staff does ( ships officers, Director) and the place is empty

As far as getting more reservations for specialties, Pick a cruise that experiences come rough water sections and the ship in any venue is yours.... On R ships I dont even reserve a specialty, On O Jacques is about all .... been to the others enough However, I understand a first time cruiser has the wants to try as much . Toward that end take a 14 day cruise and you can pretty much get anything as many times as you want . 21 days and it gets even better.

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. We generally dine is a specialty restaurant the first night. At this moment, I am not sure which one it will be. Our cruise departs from Port of Miami, so it is unlikely that our luggage will be a problem. The week before we cruise is not the time for us to dine out. There will enough of that on Riviera. We also sail RSSC, last on Explorer, and we do the same thing. It's not that we are gluttons on cruises. It's just that we do indulge somewhat because it is party time. Whatever we do, it will be great because we will be at sea. Bon voyage!

Mary

I’m going to be the contrarian here. In our experience the first night is a great night to try to score an additional reservation at a specialty restaurant, particularly the most popular ones like Jacques and Red Ginger. There tend to be more openings there on the first night. If not, MDR and the Terrace are always available.

And you’ll want to eat at the MDR on the second night, which generallly is one of its two gala dinners with caviar and foie gras...

We use the same dining strategy on RSSC ships as well.

I am going to agree with JPR on this. We booked Jacques for the first night, and I am glad we did. We liked it so much that we went to the Dining Reservations desk later in the cruise and asked to eat there again. We ended up dining at Jacques twice and Toscana twice.

• 3 weeks later...
We are usually in a specialty first night. We prefer not to share and do not book high cabins, so by the time we reserve, there isn’t much choice. First night always has some openings in one of the restaurants for a two top.

We've done the same - as Brits, we miss out on the scramble for speciality reservations. Midnight in USA East is 5am for us, ie fast asleep, but I take my laptop to bed with me and book as soon as I wake up. First and last nights have more availability at sensible times, ie not 9pm and for a table for 2. A nice way to start and finish our cruise. That's what's happening on Nautica Round Britain in September.

Forgetting the come in early, as many only come in 1 maybe 2 max. But forget that.

There is the energy and hype of first getting to the ship. It uses up most all the day counting taxi from hotel to ship or airport, hustling bags etc. lines waiting for this or that. With your hand baggage with you after check in I don't see going back ashore as an option.

No matter how you look at it boarding day take a lot out of anyone, whether your in port for a hour or a week. There is a lot to do that boarding day and Adrenalin will be flowing. .it takes its toll unless your 22 !

Glad you like to eat ashore. Me, I have seen too many bad experiences and if I want to get some cuisine I will make a land trip for it and plan my trip around restaurants. Port cities can be a mixed bag some industrial wastelands others like HKG and BKK have lots. but places near the port are pretty much tourist or longshoreman's dives. But I came to cruise and getting sick at the start is not very fun way to begin.

For me the cruise is about the ship#1 and ports #2 and I plan my cruise that way. ( I love ship travel and if they went out for 10 days and cruised in circles Id be pleased as punch

My boarding pattern/ profile is to stay at my hotel till around 2 pm resting, taxi to the pier and board around 2;45-3:15 I never hit the boarding day Terrace plenty of time for meals later Normally my wife and I are 2 meal per day folks. Dont have to haul bags around, my cabin is ready no waiting, relaxed put stuff away grab life jacket and go relax in the place where the live boat drill will be then hang out watching sail away on deck 5 on the rail instead of fighting for stair or elevator access on deck 9-10.

Go to dinner around 2030 at Terrace same time as the staff does ( ships officers, Director) and the place is empty

As far as getting more reservations for specialties, Pick a cruise that experiences come rough water sections and the ship in any venue is yours.... On R ships I dont even reserve a specialty, On O Jacques is about all .... been to the others enough However, I understand a first time cruiser has the wants to try as much . Toward that end take a 14 day cruise and you can pretty much get anything as many times as you want . 21 days and it gets even better.

If you are starting or finishing your cruise at places like Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Venice (and others), they really do deserve at least a couple of days pre or post cruise exploration. We call it a cruise sandwich and it helps limit the damage of all the wonderful food onboard.