Question on Gala Evening Attire for Women on QM2 Transatlantic Crossing

Sweetpea711423

Hi. I've read the definition provided by Cunard on attire for women on Gala Evenings on a QM2 transatlantic crossing. My question is what people in actuality wear. Do any women wear ball gowns or other types of long gowns? Thanks in advance for your help.

You do see full on ballgowns, but far more of the less meringue-like gowns. Lots of beads and sequined types.

As long as you have made an effort as if to dress for a formal event, a gown or even a smart cocktail dress is fine.

You do see full on ballgowns, but far more of the less meringue-like gowns. Lots of beads and sequined types.

As long as you have made an effort as if to dress for a formal event, a gown or even a smart cocktail dress is fine.

Many thanks for your helpful answer.

Agree with Loerie 100%

I haven't worn a dress or skirt for 25 years. I tried some on before cruising and I looked awful. They do not suit me, for a couple of reasons.

Went on QE and was little concerned but worried for nothing.

Firstly, everyone had made an effort and looked great but ball gowns or even long gowns were definitely few and far between. There were some lovely ones and they looked stunning and if in the lift or corridor we told them so.

I wore black evening trousers, chiffon or sparkly tops, bling (definitely bling) and some nice accessories. I know some disapprove of this but I felt good and my OH definitely thought I looked good. In a dress?? No way for me.

Lots of ladies wore either long black skirts or trousers .. I worried for absolutely nothing.

(Just as an aside... one of the ladies had a beautiful golden gown. It was stunning, and I told her so. Later in the evening a man sidled up to me and whispered to me his thanks and said (for their personal reasons)

how much it meant to them... so just a passing comment in the corridor or lift can have a great effect)

Our experience has been that more ladies wear long dresses and gowns (as a percentage) to the Ball in the Queen Room Ballroom than you will see in the MDR. DW brings one long dress for each Formal/Gala night on TA crossings. FWIW, she had never owned a long dress in her entire life until we started doing crossings on the QM2 in 2012.

I go on cunard just so I can wear my long gowns, why I buy them,,love it love it love, far to casual now a days in regular life. Always looking for a sale, you can get them very in expensive for a gown worth $$. This one was $300, got for $75IMG_7501.thumb.JPG.6576ce0c4eae1746be395bb8065937d6.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter and I, on our recent QM TA wore long gowns and cocktail dresses for formal nights. Some of the dresses ladies wore were just stunning you could never look overdressed. Saying that ladies in sparkly tops and trousers also look fabulous you can't really get it wrong.

Very much appreciate the feedback here as I've been obsessing over what to pack. We are doing our first crossing in a few weeks and I'm planning to bring two long dresses, not ball gowns, and two cocktail dresses. The other nights I will be wearing nice trouser outfits, at least one with a sparkly top. We are sailing back on the Regal Princess so I'll probably be overdressed some of the casual evenings, but I can live with that.

We just finished a 14 day voyage and crossing on the QM2. We loved that everyone was dressed to the nines on formal nights. Tea length and floor length gowns galore. With only a rare exception all men were in tuxedos or tails or cultural formal attire. A very small number of men wore a dark suit and tie. I saw only 2 or 3 in the MDR and other areas designated formal.

On informal nights cocktail dresses and jackets (a majority of men also wore ties) were the norm.

There is something special about looking out over an entire MDR and seeing a sea of tuxedos and formal (sequened beaded, chiffon, silk) gowns.

One day when we had a 3 hour wine and food pairing lunch we did not go to our early assigned time dinner in MDR. Instead we went to the buffet much later. Here everyone was dressed casually and the food was fine.