Everything’s OK....until it’s not.

Damicom

We were in medicine. I was on a Christmas cruise on Crystal one year and I got Noro the day after the first night on board. Interesting to note that one server was never there again! For people who are around medicine you know you are only contagious when you have that very high fever, which is the first day. We did not report anything to the doctor, but stayed in the day we knew we were contagious (me). We do practice very good hygiene. It happens. We were fortunate that day was a sea day and although the next two days were not really good, we made the best of it. It passes. There is simply no treatment and no reason to go to the doctor. I called the butler to bring Gatorade so I would not get my system out of balance and everything was good. Many many people on this cruise got Noro. It happens. It is sad, but hopefully someday there will be a treatment. There is no reason to go to a doctor if you maintain your system properly (Gatorade).

I feel bad for anyone going through this. It really is not the fault of the ship. The bacteria lives in every little crack. I think they all do their best to try to ameliorate the problem. Sad.

If you were in medicine you would know this is a virus not a bacteria. And you can be contagious before you even display symptoms.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not quite. You can practice good hygiene but if the person handling your food or cleaning your cabin is ill you can still catch a virus.

Isn’t that essentially what I said (quote):

“Improper hygiene by those who are ill helps to spread the disease”.

In other words, if those that are ill do not practice proper hygiene they will contribute to spreading it. Conversely, if they practice proper hygiene they are much less likely to do so :)

We were in medicine. I was on a Christmas cruise on Crystal one year and I got Noro the day after the first night on board. Interesting to note that one server was never there again! For people who are around medicine you know you are only contagious when you have that very high fever, which is the first day. We did not report anything to the doctor, but stayed in the day we knew we were contagious (me). We do practice very good hygiene. It happens. We were fortunate that day was a sea day and although the next two days were not really good, we made the best of it. It passes. There is simply no treatment and no reason to go to the doctor. I called the butler to bring Gatorade so I would not get my system out of balance and everything was good. Many many people on this cruise got Noro. It happens. It is sad, but hopefully someday there will be a treatment. There is no reason to go to a doctor if you maintain your system properly (Gatorade).

I feel bad for anyone going through this. It really is not the fault of the ship. The bacteria lives in every little crack. I think they all do their best to try to ameliorate the problem. Sad.

From the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

"If you get norovirus illness, you can shed billions of norovirus particles that you can’t see without a microscope. Only a few norovirus particles can make other people sick. You are most contagious

• when you have symptoms of norovirus illness, especially vomiting, and
  • during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

However, studies have shown that you can still spread norovirus for two weeks or more after you feel better."

But it's those first few days, including recovery, that one is "MOST contagious"...

This is why the quarantine lasts a "few" days, not just that "first" day or such.

GC

Yes I just wanted to make sure it was clear that an individual can practice proper hygiene protocols and still be infected.

Isn’t that essentially what I said (quote):

“Improper hygiene by those who are ill helps to spread the disease”.

In other words, if those that are ill do not practice proper hygiene they will contribute to spreading it. Conversely, if they practice proper hygiene they are much less likely to do so :)

Lima to Papeete January 2018; you couldn’t make this up: we had a noro outbreak on Marina. Oceania did all the right protocols, etc, etc. Day three of the situation where EVERYONE had been informed multiple times that we there had this problem...out on the pool deck...some guy walks up to the bar, bartender had stepped into back room...guy opens jar of olives, STICKS HIs HAND IN and scoops out a bunch of olives!

Then he Closes the jar...gets challenged by another passenger as to why/can’t do that...his response? “Doesn’t matter, I’m not sick”

Holy hell. . .

THEN, I see, over the course of the next several days of the cruise, several women use the public restrooms, then leave without ever having washed their hands. Not even using hand towels to open doors.

Stunning ignorance - or is it stunning irresponsibility? Arrogance?

As we used to say where I worked, “you can build in a lot of procedures to counteract human error, but each year we also seem to have an Infinite supply of clueless humans!”

If you were in medicine you would know this is a virus not a bacteria. And you can be contagious before you even display symptoms.

Which is why, on another thread awhile ago about preventing motion sickness, I suggested that people should consult with their personal physician regarding medical matters.

It is rather remarkable that she said she is/was "in medicine" and seemingly knows nothing about communicable diseases, and openly gives misinformation.

Lima to Papeete January 2018; you couldn’t make this up: we had a noro outbreak on Marina. Oceania did all the right protocols, etc, etc. Day three of the situation where EVERYONE had been informed multiple times that we there had this problem...out on the pool deck...some guy walks up to the bar, bartender had stepped into back room...guy opens jar of olives, STICKS HIs HAND IN and scoops out a bunch of olives!

Then he Closes the jar...gets challenged by another passenger as to why/can’t do that...his response? “Doesn’t matter, I’m not sick”

Holy hell. . .

THEN, I see, over the course of the next several days of the cruise, several women use the public restrooms, then leave without ever having washed their hands. Not even using hand towels to open doors.

As we used to say where I worked, “you can build in a lot of procedures to counteract human error, but each year we also seem to have an Infinite supply of clueless humans!”

That was the "we don't know what it is but it isn't noro cruise". Whatever it was, DW was miserable for almost a week.

Which is why, on another thread awhile ago about preventing motion sickness, I suggested that people should consult with their personal physician regarding medical matters.

It is rather remarkable that she said she is/was "in medicine" and seemingly knows nothing about communicable diseases, and openly gives misinformation.

Well I also knew a guy in medicine.

And HE said...

...ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-aah-ping-pang-wallawalla-bing bang.

Multiple times, no less.

I've never seen it used to mean hotel manager and in looking at several dictionaries I only found one that even used it as tertiary definition. Not one even used it as a secondary definition. Edit...did find one using that as a secondary definition. Its primary definition is clearly and 100% "head waiter" .

As an author I learned long ago to use words in their most common accepted way if at all possible. That assured maximum reader comprehension of what I wrote and also warded off accusations of pedantry...in my writing at least. I can be very pedantic in defending what I believe to be correct...as you can see here!

Nothing wrong with being pedantic. It's like the old saying: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with...."(reference to cow manure for the censors)

Well I also knew a guy in medicine.

And HE said...

...ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-aah-ping-pang-wallawalla-bing bang.

Multiple times, no less.

Those of us who are getting the joke have quite obviously dated ourselves!

Thanks for the smile!

It's a virus! You're medicine, you say? Did you go to the "Howard, Fine & Howard school of infectious diseases"?

Did not want to be quarantined for 3 days. You can tell, most people also did not want to do this. You are really only pretty ill for one day then kind of run down for about 2 more days. Besides, ran into one passenger who DID call the doctor and the doctor never responded. Like the title of this post says “Everything is okay until it isn’t...”

I just think Oceania should have reimbursed something to clients about this. I forgot to mention that the previous sailing to ours also had problems. Nothing was said to us when we checked in, so I assumed it was taken care of. It was not and only got worse.

So you didn't want to be quarantined for 3 days? it was ok for you to go around possibly infecting others? I'd have kicked you off the ship, period. I hope you only do land trips to avoid potentially sickening others. Having a food service business, it's people like you that scare the hell out of us!

Holy hell. . .

Try as you might, you just can't goober proof the stupid!

Did not want to be quarantined for 3 days. You can tell, most people also did not want to do this. You are really only pretty ill for one day then kind of run down for about 2 more days. Besides, ran into one passenger who DID call the doctor and the doctor never responded. Like the title of this post says “Everything is okay until it isn’t...”

I just think Oceania should have reimbursed something to clients about this. I forgot to mention that the previous sailing to ours also had problems. Nothing was said to us when we checked in, so I assumed it was taken care of. It was not and only got worse.

So you continued to spread the virus and infect others ruining their holidays and then have the gall to expect compensation from Oceania.

Maybe it’s people like you should be paying compensation to those you infected, certainly not Oceania.

How selfish of you.

Me and two hundred other people. It was Oceania’s responsibility to make sure the ship was clean before we boarded. As I said, the previous sailing to ours had problems and apparently it was not taken care of. Oceania definitely had the responsibility to take care of it.

So you continued to spread the virus and infect others ruining their holidays and then have the gall to expect compensation from Oceania.

Maybe it’s people like you should be paying compensation to those you infected, certainly not Oceania.

How selfish of you.

If we are sick with a gastro problem we would Isolate ourselves until it is over. We carry all the necessary medications to treat this. It’s called responsibility not to infect others with gastro or colds. I will happily sit out on the balcony and order room service. We don’t go in public if we are sick.

Me and two hundred other people. It was Oceania’s responsibility to make sure the ship was clean before we boarded. As I said, the previous sailing to ours had problems and apparently it was not taken care of. Oceania definitely had the responsibility to take care of it.

How can Oceania possibly do that if you and 200 others are wandering around spreading the virus? There were probably passengers on the previous cruise who felt the same way you did. Do you not think you and the others with attitudes similar to yours bear most of the responsibility in this situation?

... Do you not think you and the others with attitudes similar to yours bear most of the responsibility in this situation?

(y) YES! All too often you hear ... "I'm not getting quarantined and ruin MY vacation."

Same attitude as that Group that signs up for shore excursions marked strenuous, knowing full well they can barely manage easy! It’s everyone else’s responsibility to wait on them! “ Oh! We can’t go that fast, you have to wait! You have to slow down!”

I often chuckle reading posts talking about how much more sophisticated and well seasoned travelers O has compared to other lines! Probably not!

How can Oceania possibly do that if you and 200 others are wandering around spreading the virus? There were probably passengers on the previous cruise who felt the same way you did. Do you not think you and the others with attitudes similar to yours bear most of the responsibility in this situation?

(y) YES! All too often you hear ... "I'm not getting quarantined and ruin MY vacation."

Precisely!

(y)(y)

These rules are in place for a public health reason, not for some sort of punishment, which is how it seems to be portrayed by these people.

GC

Same attitude as that Group that signs up for shore excursions marked strenuous, knowing full well they can barely manage easy! It’s everyone else’s responsibility to wait on them! “ Oh! We can’t go that fast, you have to wait! You have to slow down!”

I often chuckle reading posts talking about how much more sophisticated and well seasoned travelers O has compared to other lines! Probably not!

We went with another couple on their favorite line (Regent) last year to celebrate their milestone anniversary, and the same thing happened on the Regent excursions...sigh....bunches of folks not able to read the level for the excursion, holding the rest of us up. DH purposely does not do excursions because he knows he is slower than others. I think it’s a wider problem than one Cruise line. That’s why I usually book independent tours for us. I control my own and DH pace that way.

To go back to OP, I sympathize with the frustration she felt with having to hear sounds from the connecting cabin, but I wouldn’t have taken it in the first place. Most travelers know sounds travel better through a door than through a wall.

As far as not want to bother the staff members who were supposedly going to move them, I call passive aggressive on that.

It reminds me of the earliest days of my marriage when my new husband got home from work before me and was relaxed in a comfortable chair with a beer when I arrived. He stayed relaxed while I cooked dinner, set the table, served the food, and cleaned the kitchen afterward.

I knew if I asked for help I would have gotten it. I wanted him to do it without being asked. My resentment grew till I blew up one day shocking the daylights out of him.

If you need help, speak up. If your message didn’t come across, give it again and again till it does.

Suffering in silence never helped anyone.

As far as the TA who flat told OP that a connecting door wouldn’t be a problem, I would have a discussion with her the TA and the TA’s manager. Any experienced agent would never make a statement like that. You might get seasick, it might rain everyday, you might have noise next door or in the hallways.

I’m a staunch supporter of travel agents but once in a while there’s one that shouldn’t be selling travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not think you are getting the big picture

Oceania does clean the ship as best they can but there are people that may have been ill on the first cruise who like you chose not to remain isolated or report to the medical centre

Then they are off spreading the joy to new pax

You are still contagious days after the symptoms subside

Next time try staying in your cabin for a few days after you are ill instead of going around infecting others

JMO

After having lost 2 days of my life to NORO I do not want to get it again