Boarding, Luggage, and First Seating

SargassoPirate

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will be boarding the QM2 in Hamburg after four weeks on land in Europe. We would rather cruise back to North America than fly. We are having our bag of "cruise clothes" shipped to the ship by a luggage forwarding service so that we don't have to drag around smart casual and gala clothes all over Europe. We are traveling in steerage, our assigned boarding time is 3:00 PM, and we have 6:00 PM seating for dinner. Now to my question:

Can we count on our bags being delivered to our cabin in time to dress for dinner according to their dress code, and if not, do they "relax" the dress code on the first night to accommodate such situations?

Thanks in advance. We are looking forward to a more genteel way to get home.

Unless for unseen reasons, we have alway found our luggage intact together in our cabin on entering our cabin after boarding.

Best on boarding the ship, take a look around and grab something to eat and by that time you should see the luggage in your cabin. And yes the first night dining dress code (informal) is understandable with all settling in to the routine.

Unless for unseen reasons, we have alway found our luggage intact together in our cabin on entering our cabin after boarding.

Best on boarding the ship, take a look around and grab something to eat and by that time you should see the luggage in your cabin. And yes the first night dining dress code (informal) is understandable with all settling in to the routine.

Many thanks, BklynBoy6.

SaragassoPIrate--when do you sail? We embark in Hamburg on Oct. 16. We are doing the same thing with shipping a bag as we will be traveling for three weeks prior. We've opted for late seating so think we'll be okay.

SaragassoPIrate--when do you sail? We embark in Hamburg on Oct. 16. We are doing the same thing with shipping a bag as we will be traveling for three weeks prior. We've opted for late seating so think we'll be okay.

We sail August 17. I'm hoping everything will fall into place and we'll be properly dressed for dinner.

Hamburg is not a full turnaround, you might even be lucky enough to get afternoon tea.

So, not being a full turnaround means there will less of a crush to board? Hmmmm? Maybe we should plan on showing up early and see what happens. We have to check out of our rental apt. at 11 anyway.

In addition to our regular, checked suitcases, we are going to have a couple of rolling carry-ons. (We'll be in NYC for 2 days prior to our cruise.) If luggage appears quickly in our, I am assuming I can probably have those "checked" at the port when we arrive, so we only have to carry on the back packs. Does that make sense? Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice!

In addition to our regular, checked suitcases, we are going to have a couple of rolling carry-ons. (We'll be in NYC for 2 days prior to our cruise.) If luggage appears quickly in our, I am assuming I can probably have those "checked" at the port when we arrive, so we only have to carry on the back packs. Does that make sense? Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice!

I used White Star in 2014 when I did my first transatlantic and the big suitcase with my tux, etc. was in my cabin when I got to my room. That being said first night dress code was more relaxed. I was fine in a sports jacket, slacks and a collared shirt. I wore the jacket on plane so I had it with me and didn't have to pack it. Packed really light for the 6 days in London before I sailed, everything in one 22" suitcase and a backpack. I carried on and all was good. Those were the days...

Sent from my iPad using Forums