Rotterdam or go to Amsterdam?

Radar boomer

Hi,

Unless you like ports - Rotterdam is the biggest port in Europe and interesting to be seen - I recommend to go to Amsterdam, a charming and picturesque ancient town, with a wide-spread channel system, which is interconnected by numerous small bridges and surrounded by small ancient merchants' houses. The town offers numerous attractions, which can be visited free of charge. Public transport is free as well. There is lots to be seen!

Enjoy!

If you have an overnight stop here you could go to Amsterdam by train (without the worry of return time) as the rail network there is very efficient, rather than an excursion.

However, last time we were in Rotterdam we took the train to Delft. It is stunningly beautiful, a mini Amsterdam without the crowds! It is the birthplace of Vermeer and city of their Royal family (burial crypts in the cathedral). Have a look on the web for more information, as you might be very tempted!

To blow the trumpet for Rotterdam there is lots of interesting architecture and stuff to see. Google Cube Houses - sorry posting pictures is beyond me!

I would rather (and literally!) ring the bell on the S.S. ROTTERDAM. The liner is part museum, part hotel and moored in Katendrecht. It can be reached by bus or ferry. The museum is partly run by volunteers, many are former crew members who have their stories to tell. Also, they restored the shuffleboard court!

In general: Rotterdam was heavily bombed by the ****s in WWII, which makes it a very interesting place for modern architecture. There are also surviving parts around Delfshaven. Also, there is a very interesting maritime museum, with their "offshore experience". This is one of the best and most interactive exhibitions in the world!

Of course you could also do a harbour tour by boat.

https://www.maritiemmuseum.nl/en

https://ssrotterdam.com

Amsterdam is a nice place, but it suffers heavily from overtourism. So if you want to go elsewhere I would rather go to Den Haag or Delft.

EDIT: I do see that this Forum has a censorship function: The people I meant where the asterisks are were members of the German Luftwaffe during the rule of a person whose name is best avoided in a pleasant conversation.

I've been a tourist in both cities. The first time was an overnight in Rotterdam several years ago following a transatlantic crossing on the M/V ROTTERDAM. The most recent being after departing the QUEEN ELIZABETH in Rotterdam last Sunday. This time I left for Amsterdam by train right away. I would say that Amsterdam is certainly the most charming of the two cities, but since you have never been to either you might want to think about which option is more cost and time effective. I would say this though, that I don't have an overwhelming desire to stay in Rotterdam again, I do hope for a quick return to Amsterdam.

Well, I suppose that if you've never been to Amsterdam, that is the big draw. I would recommend Den Haag, and in particular the Mauritshaus Museum with the stunning Vermeer view of Delft, as well as the Girl with a Pearl Earring: it is much more manageable for a view of Dutch painting of the Golden Age than the huge Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. But there are so many places of interest a little closer to Rotterdam: perhaps the windmills of Kinderdijk or the old town of Gouda.

Bear in mind that the Rotterdam docks stretch several miles west of Rotterdam itself. I have no idea where the QE might dock! Delft is indeed well worth a look. And for the quirky one could try the model village at Madurodam near Den Haag.

Bear in mind that the Rotterdam docks stretch several miles west of Rotterdam itself. I have no idea where the QE might dock! Delft is indeed well worth a look. And for the quirky one could try the model village at Madurodam near Den Haag.

QE/QV usually dock at the old Holland Amerika terminal close to city centre

Was in Rotterdam last year (and a quick evening in Amsterdam) before a few days in London then QM2 home to New York. 50th birthday bucket list trip. Combined seeing and staying on the ss Rotterdam (the first ship I sailed on as a 13-year old in 1980) with a transatlantic. The ship is neat to see and the tour is not expensive- got to all the public rooms, the bridge and engine room.

Also, took the water taxi (across from the Wilhelminkade) to Kinderdijk - neat to see. The train ride from Rotterdam Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal is easy - about 45 mins or so.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy!

We are just back from a month in Amsterdam, which was sublime. Museums, cafes, great food, and spectacular canal houses. We were never ever bored. But if you have only one day, there is plenty to see in Rotterdam with some wild architecture, a brand new market hall, some cute neighborhoods, etc. If you have only one day, and you choose to go to Amsterdam, note that it's an hour from Rotterdam by motor coach and about 50 minutes away by train. That eats into your time available. If you have more than a day, I recommend Amsterdam.

Per CGreenhills, I would visit ROTTERDAM - first for the SS Rotterdam, then for the city. The architecture is great as are the small neighborhoods, cafes and galleries. Here's a link to photos of the SS Rotterdam - in all her glory! ENJOY: http://www.galleryofships.com/p315162634

Hi how far is this from the port, do we need a taxi to get to town and if so how much would you guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be there on Aug 12 which is a Sunday. Is that the same date. What does it mean for a bank holiday weekend (we are Canadians [emoji3]). Will this affect any sight seeing/shopping/museums for either Rotterdam or Amsterdam?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not the bank holiday (public holiday in UK) weekend. We are doing the same cruise later in August.

On a Sunday many shops won't open until 12. Also public transport may be on a reduced time table.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk