Visa Question

katz

I have two cruises booked. When I pull up my "booked cruises"on O's website, the visa section says that visas have been purchased for me.

I didn't purchase visa or ask Oceania to purchase them. Charges do not appear on my reservation. What does this mean? Will I be billed at a later date? Are these some kind of blanket visas? The countries are Australia, China and Vietnam.

Curious, so that I don't have any surprises.

I have two cruises booked. When I pull up my "booked cruises"on O's website, the visa section says that visas have been purchased for me.

I didn't purchase visa or ask Oceania to purchase them. Charges do not appear on my reservation. What does this mean? Will I be billed at a later date? Are these some kind of blanket visas? The countries are Australia, China and Vietnam.

Curious, so that I don't have any surprises.

The charge for the Visa should be included in your cruise. If you look at your itemized cruise statement there should be a visa charge of $75.00 per visa purchased. Oceania buys visa’s for each passenger.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding, as we have a cruise booked including China and Vietnam next spring, is that they will send a package of materials for you to fill out and submit with your passport. The last several times I visited China, I had to send my passport out for the visa. We decided to use O's service /assistance for this trip as the service I used for work travel would be even more expensive.

We traveled there in February with O.

1. China. We had obtained a new 10 year tourist visa a couple of years ago prior to our Yangtze River Cruise. I don’t recall being automatically charged by O for one. I would have objected strongly if I had been.

2. Australia. If one travels to OZ for less than 90 days , they can go online and get an ETA ( Electronic Travel Authority) easily and cheaply. You don’t need O for this.

3. Vietnam. Oceania had directed us to a website where we downloaded and filled out the appropriate forms to be brought along with two passport pictures. A Vietnamese agent boarded the ship in Hong Kong. We then submitted the forms, pictures, and passport to O which gave them to the Agent. We were then given our visa ( minus passport) which we had to keep with us on shore and show each time leaving the ship. The Visas were turned back in when we left the last Vietnamese port ( Saigon).

Speaking of visa’s....we have received all sorts of conflicting information about whether we need a visa if we stay on the ship and do not go ashore in Maputo, Mozambique. Word from the officials there is that we don’t need one. Oceania originally said we don’t need one and then recently changed their minds. Seems easier (and profitable) for Oceania to just insist on a visa for all passengers.

Speaking of visa’s....we have received all sorts of conflicting information about whether we need a visa if we stay on the ship and do not go ashore in Maputo, Mozambique. Word from the officials there is that we don’t need one. Oceania originally said we don’t need one and then recently changed their minds. Seems easier (and profitable) for Oceania to just insist on a visa for all passengers.

Don't fault Oceania here. Maputo has been an issue with all cruise lines with their visa process. Makes it quicker for all if they give them all passports and also for the lazy authorities that they do not need to check everyone.