Key West Places to Eat

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:02 AM.
#41
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
If choosing between Santiago’s and Louie’s, which one would you all prefer?

It would be for lunch. I like the idea of the view from Louie’s, but if it’s going to be not-so-great food at an expensive price, just for the view, I don’t want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Carnival Fantasy (04/2001)
Norwegian Sky (09/21/2015)
Celebrity Equinox (05/04/2018)
Celebrity Silhouette (03/24/2019)
NCL Pride of America (05/09/2020)




#42
290 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Banana15
If choosing between Santiago’s and Louie’s, which one would you all prefer?

It would be for lunch. I like the idea of the view from Louie’s, but if it’s going to be not-so-great food at an expensive price, just for the view, I don’t want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
As I said earlier, Santiago’s has great food. It’s lots of small plates, and relatively reasonably priced for Key West. However, they do not have much in the way of fresh, local seafood, which is something most visitors want to try. Louie’s will be expensive, but they will feature fresh seafood options and specials. I’ve never had a bad meal at Louie’s, so I don’t think you will be getting “not so great food.”

The food is excellent at both places. The setting at Louie’s is beautiful and much nicer than the atmosphere at Santiago’s. Why not look at both online menus and see which one you prefer?
#43
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by keywester33
As I said earlier, Santiago’s has great food. It’s lots of small plates, and relatively reasonably priced for Key West. However, they do not have much in the way of fresh, local seafood, which is something most visitors want to try. Louie’s will be expensive, but they will feature fresh seafood options and specials. I’ve never had a bad meal at Louie’s, so I don’t think you will be getting “not so great food.”



The food is excellent at both places. The setting at Louie’s is beautiful and much nicer than the atmosphere at Santiago’s. Why not look at both online menus and see which one you prefer?


I did look at both menus and my husband and I both liked Louie’s menu better. I just wasn’t sure if it was someplace that LOOKED good but didn’t taste that great. It doesn’t necessarily have to be seafood, but we both love it so that is always a plus. I am going to call them to attempt to make reservations. Is there any suggestion as far as requesting where we would like to sit? It is mid May, so I’m not sure how bad the temps will be and if sitting outside is even a possibility....or if they even take that type of request.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Carnival Fantasy (04/2001)
Norwegian Sky (09/21/2015)
Celebrity Equinox (05/04/2018)
Celebrity Silhouette (03/24/2019)
NCL Pride of America (05/09/2020)




#44
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by keywester33
As I said earlier, Santiago’s has great food. It’s lots of small plates, and relatively reasonably priced for Key West. However, they do not have much in the way of fresh, local seafood, which is something most visitors want to try. Louie’s will be expensive, but they will feature fresh seafood options and specials. I’ve never had a bad meal at Louie’s, so I don’t think you will be getting “not so great food.”



The food is excellent at both places. The setting at Louie’s is beautiful and much nicer than the atmosphere at Santiago’s. Why not look at both online menus and see which one you prefer?


Also, I just realized that our day in KW lands on Mother’s Day. How bad will the restaurants be during lunch? Should we just do something quick to avoid wasting half the day in a restaurant?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Carnival Fantasy (04/2001)
Norwegian Sky (09/21/2015)
Celebrity Equinox (05/04/2018)
Celebrity Silhouette (03/24/2019)
NCL Pride of America (05/09/2020)




#45
290 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
You should have no trouble sitting outside at Louie’s in May. There is typically a nice seabreeze and a tree and umbrellas to block the sun. I would reserve and request an outdoor table.

Mother’s Day will be busy and you may see lots of locals out celebrating, but as long as you have a reservation, Louie’s is used to busy days and I think your lunch will be very nice.
#46
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by keywester33
You should have no trouble sitting outside at Louie’s in May. There is typically a nice seabreeze and a tree and umbrellas to block the sun. I would reserve and request an outdoor table.



Mother’s Day will be busy and you may see lots of locals out celebrating, but as long as you have a reservation, Louie’s is used to busy days and I think your lunch will be very nice.


Thank you! I will try to call them tomorrow and set up a reservation. Hopefully there is still a good bit of availability this early on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Carnival Fantasy (04/2001)
Norwegian Sky (09/21/2015)
Celebrity Equinox (05/04/2018)
Celebrity Silhouette (03/24/2019)
NCL Pride of America (05/09/2020)




#47
Chesapeake, VA
46 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by meicheraxo
Will be in KW in 3 weeks, would like to know some good places to eat or grab a drink? Will only be there for lunchtime. I'm a foodie so would love suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app
Latitudes, excellent food from lobster salad to fish tacos...you take the ferry from Key West to Sunset Key. Cannot wait to go back in August, something for lunch while in port.
#48
Rexford, NY, USA
561 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
For an informal meal, go to Garbo's Grill! They have great burritos and tacos. Its a tiny food trailer with seating outside, or inside at the bar that they park behind.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Celebrity Xpedition 1/2019, Celebrity Equinox 6/2018, Celebrity Summit 4/2018, Celebrity Summit 1/2018, Celebrity Summit 5/2017, Celebrity Silhouette 1/2017, NCL Sky 7/2016, Celebrity Summit 5/2016, Celebrity Summit B2B 1/9/2016, 1/16/2016, Celebrity Summit 6/2015, Celebrity Equinox 1/2015, Caribbean Princess 1/2015, Celebrity Millennium 6/2014, Celebrity Eclipse 1/2014, Celebrity Reflection 5/2013, Celebrity Constellation 3/2013, Celebrity Summit 1/2013, Celebrity Equinox 1/2012, Celebrity Summit 5/2011, Caribbean Princess 1/2011, NCL Sky 1/2010, Monarch of the Seas 1/2009, Carnival Destiny 12/2007, Tahitian Princess 1/2007, Empress of the Seas 1/2005, Explorer of the Seas 1/2004, Tahitian Princess 1/2003, HAL Zaandam 1/2002, Ocean Princess 1/2001
#49
Philadelphia, PA
628 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
My mom wants to eat somewhere where she has a view of the water. We just want to make it a lunch stop (so I won't want to take the ferry out to Sunset Key for Latitudes) since we have a bunch of plans for the day including the Butterfly Conservatory, wine tasting, shopping for my godson for something Key West related who's baby shower I am missing because it was the only day the grandmother could schedule and getting Key Lime pie. Any suggestions. I would like some sort of sea food and a good drink! We will be there on Sunday July 29th!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
Celebrity Equinox- July 28th



Carnival-2
Celebrity- 1
MSC-1
Princess-2
Royal-8
#50
Charlotte
3,823 Posts
Joined May 2007
Better Than Sex is a specialty restaurant serving decadent desserts and specialty cocktails. Wonderful way to cap off an evening.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
7/99 Carnival Imagination
6/01 Carnival Paradise
6/03 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
7/06 RCI Adventure of the Seas
12/08 Holland America Westerdam
6/10 Carnival Glory
6/12 Carnival Ecstasy
6/15 Carnival Victory
7/16 Carnival Magic
1/17 Carnival Conquest


#51
Atlanta/Key West
10,036 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by musik07
My mom wants to eat somewhere where she has a view of the water. We just want to make it a lunch stop (so I won't want to take the ferry out to Sunset Key for Latitudes) since we have a bunch of plans for the day including the Butterfly Conservatory, wine tasting, shopping for my godson for something Key West related who's baby shower I am missing because it was the only day the grandmother could schedule and getting Key Lime pie. Any suggestions. I would like some sort of sea food and a good drink! We will be there on Sunday July 29th!
Louie's Backyard http://www.louiesbackyard.com will fit her requirements easily and is an excellent place for lunch.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
#53
290 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
While I like Off the Hook, it is a small, indoor, dark restaurant without much atmosphere. They also do not have a liquor license (beer and wine only).

The recent poster asked for a water view and a good drink. Off the Hook wouldn’t offer either one.
#54
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,473 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
One place to consider is the restaurant at Margaritaville, Bistro 245. It overlooks the water, Mallory Square, and the cruise ships.
#55
Plainsboro, New Jersey
1,600 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
For Turtle Kraals, sit upstairs then order a flight of ceviche --->



Yellowtail, scallops, hog fish, and grouper. Take a chance.



Pjk
#56
225 Posts
Joined May 2009
Another option is Southernmost Beach Cafe, near the ocean, just a little further down Duval Street than the Butterfly Conservatory.