SHARE or Crown Grill?

A&Jfamily

SHARE or Crown Grill?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. SHARE or Crown Grill?

• Crown Grill

Hmnnn......we were on the Ruby in March and planned to go to Share but never did make it. We did go to the CG with our group for an enjoyable meal. Honestly though the most enjoyable aspect was the company and good service. This was our 3rd or 4th time eating at the CG - it’s always been “okay” to “good” - nothing that I find myself craving when we are back home. In hindsight I wish we’d tried Share, just to shake things up. We did have a few good/very good meals in the Salty Dog by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be on Ruby Princess and have eaten at the Crown Grill before, but never tried SHARE. Which do you prefer and why?

Share.

You can get a good steak anywhere. Share has a fairly unique menu, which appealed to us very much. We've been several times and will be back to enjoy on Emerald again several times this fall..

Going to give Share a try when we travel on Emerald in September. Enjoyed all Curtis Stone dishes on MDR menu when travelling on Diamond so looking forward to his restaurant offerings.

We will be on Ruby Princess and have eaten at the Crown Grill before, but never tried SHARE. Which do you prefer and why?

Why don't you do both?

We enjoy both. In your poll, I marked SHARE.

• The menu is better at SHARE.
    • I have difficulty with all the reports I've read here in Cruise Critic that a poster "had the best steak ever at Crown Grill." I like beef as much as the next guy, but I truly believe that I can prepare a steak on my backyard grill that is as good as any I've ever had at the Crown Grill.
    • There are quite a few things on the SHARE menu that I would not try to duplicate. I just don't spend that much time and effort in the preparation of my meals. I love it, though, when somebody else does the work.

[*]The service is consistently better at SHARE.

• There have been times in Crown Grill that I think our server was just brought in from the dining room for the night's shift. As soon as I put down my fork, he is picking up the plate from my first course with his left hand and dropping my second course in front of me with his right hand. We like to linger and take a few sips of wine between courses.
    • Some may argue that there is never a crowd in SHARE, and that is why the staff is so attentive. They may be right.

I am, probably being hyperbolic. As I indicated, above, we will dine, usually multiple times, in both venues every cruise. I think my wife's favorite item on any Princess menu is the Mussel Pot at Crown Grill. I have to say, on our last cruise I really enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass. Also, even though I denigrated Crown Grill beef, above, I have enjoyed my share of Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, Lamb Chops. They are, generally, very enjoyable.

I have had excellent servers at Crown Grill, and have asked for one of their tables for return visits. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Also, while I have never been disappointed with the service in SHARE, I am familiar with stories of others who have been disappointed. I, certainly, would not dispute those stories.

So, to the OP, I really don't think you will go wrong with either venue, but, again, why don't you try both on your cruise? If you did so, then you would be able to cast an informed vote in future such polls.

The poll will probably be skewed towards The Crown Grill because most have not tried Share either because they don’t care for the menu or it’s not on many ships.

I really enjoy the Crown Grill and eat there 2-3 times per cruise but I really enjoyed my meals in Share and would honestly chose Share over Crown Grill if I had to pick one.

Crown Grill is great but is your typical steakhouse menu. (Though their black and blue onion soup is my favorite.) I just find the menu at Share to be up to date and like many higher end restarurants that I eat in all the time in Miami, NYC and Chicago.

SHARE for me. I'm from Texas and we have exceptional steak houses everyplace (though our sushi is crap) and lots of cruise lines have a steak house. Share is a bit of a different concept. And the menu appeals to me (though my BF maybe not so much).

Why don't you do both?

We enjoy both. In your poll, I marked SHARE.

• The menu is better at SHARE.
    • I have difficulty with all the reports I've read here in Cruise Critic that a poster "had the best steak ever at Crown Grill." I like beef as much as the next guy, but I truly believe that I can prepare a steak on my backyard grill that is as good as any I've ever had at the Crown Grill.
    • There are quite a few things on the SHARE menu that I would not try to duplicate. I just don't spend that much time and effort in the preparation of my meals. I love it, though, when somebody else does the work.

[*]The service is consistently better at SHARE.

• There have been times in Crown Grill that I think our server was just brought in from the dining room for the night's shift. As soon as I put down my fork, he is picking up the plate from my first course with his left hand and dropping my second course in front of me with his right hand. We like to linger and take a few sips of wine between courses.
    • Some may argue that there is never a crowd in SHARE, and that is why the staff is so attentive. They may be right.

I am, probably being hyperbolic. As I indicated, above, we will dine, usually multiple times, in both venues every cruise. I think my wife's favorite item on any Princess menu is the Mussel Pot at Crown Grill. I have to say, on our last cruise I really enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass. Also, even though I denigrated Crown Grill beef, above, I have enjoyed my share of Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, Lamb Chops. They are, generally, very enjoyable.

I have had excellent servers at Crown Grill, and have asked for one of their tables for return visits. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Also, while I have never been disappointed with the service in SHARE, I am familiar with stories of others who have been disappointed. I, certainly, would not dispute those stories.

So, to the OP, I really don't think you will go wrong with either venue, but, again, why don't you try both on your cruise? If you did so, then you would be able to cast an informed vote in future such polls.

We may...but our sons (14 and 20) are traveling with us at the beginning of their Christmas break. It has been a while since we sailed Princess with them and I am not sure if I can drag them away from the comfort zone of the MDR for two nights...that Love Boat Dream is pretty big on their list! I am pretty sure they will jump on Crown Grill because over the past few years we have introduced them to the steakhouse on Carnival and they love it. Perhaps DH and I will do SHARE just the two of us - though he is pickier than the 20 year old!

Princess right now is a treat for us because it is hard, with both boys in school, to travel on week long vacations in December and March (summer is out due to work and sports for them) as they just don't have the itineraries. So we aren't bored with MDR at all and find the food acceptable - but it is nice to step it up a bit and enjoy a specialty restaurant on occasion.

We (family of 6 adults and 1 toddler) just disembarked the Ruby Princess on July 7th. DH and I are frequent Princess cruisers (elite) and everyone else was on their first Princess cruise. DH and I think that our meal at SHARE was the best we have ever had on Princess and that includes 3 Chef's Tables (food and wine were excellent but too much in 3 courses with no choices) and 1 Winemaker's Dinner (again excellent food and wine but it was also 3 courses and no choice if I remember correctly). SHARE is 6 courses - obviously not monstrously large helpings - and you chose from 3 or 4 offerings in each course. With such a large group we were able to taste almost every dish and since we all had the premium beverage package we purchased two bottles of excellent wines at a 25% discount. We are all still talking about the dinner!

We've had dinner at SHARE. The food was fine but the atmosphere left lots to be desired. (n)

Voted Crown Grill. Sure, we can go to good or even better steathouses at home BUT Crown Grill has the best steak on ships where the choice is Crown Grill or SHARE. ;)

I recently had dinner at Share and didn't care for it at all. I tried each course and one bite was enough. I went for a slice of Pizza afterwards. Since it was a comped meal I am glad I didn't waste any money on it.

Steak and lobster for me please. We like the Crown Grill menu. We rarely eat out due to a lack of "fine" dining in our area. We're not into hootie tootie type restaurants and the SHARE menu is nothing we desire. I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has. Bring a different venue onboard - that's what we're waiting for.

Wow - the opinions are really all over the board on this!

They sure are! Just remember that some said that they wouldn’t eat there because they don’t like the menu so you are getting opinions from people who never actually tried eating there.

Food/Taste is very subjective, which you can see on here. Some are meat & potatoes kind of people, some like things very simply, some are adventurous.

I would suggest looking at the menus and picking which you prefer by the menus. Everyone has such different tastes so you are just going to get differing opinions on here. You can always try both or change your minds once you see the venues on board.

They sure are! Just remember that some said that they wouldn’t eat there because they don’t like the menu so you are getting opinions from people who never actually tried eating there.

Food/Taste is very subjective, which you can see on here. Some are meat & potatoes kind of people, some like things very simply, some are adventurous.

I would suggest looking at the menus and picking which you prefer by the menus. Everyone has such different tastes so you are just going to get differing opinions on here. You can always try both or change your minds once you see the venues on board.

I agree that I am disregarding the opinions of those who have not tried SHARE - it is clearly a different culinary experience and would not appeal to many.

But I have gleaned, as I suspected, SHARE is much more of a “foodie” venue that my 20 year old would appreciate but might fall short with the 14 year old. Crown Grill appeals to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SWMBO and I have eaten at both venues on different ships a number of times. She likes the CG, I'm more ambivalent. I find the food very heavy and hard on the stomach relative to the lighter and more diverse offerings in SHARE. Also, I've had a few very bad steaks in CG, but have never had anything but a superb experience in SHARE. In general, I have personally found the overall experience (both food and service) to be a bit too variable in the CG, but never in SHARE.

Just my opinion...

Another vote for SHARE. It was one of the finest meals we’ve had on a cruise ship. We also like the Crown Grill, but if I could only choose one, it would be SHARE. It has a unique menu with fabulous preparation and presentation.