Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

I've never heard of this being a rule before either. We're getting on the Caribbean Princess tomorrow. I frequently will order an appetizer size portion of one entrée along with another. Sometimes they listen and will give me just that. Other times I end up getting two full size orders. I guess I'll find out soon enough if this was just a glitch with one particular waiter on the first night of a cruise or if it's something happening throughout. If it had happened to me, I would have asked a head waiter or the maître d' if it truly was a new policy or not.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

You should have asked to speak to the Head Waiter or the Maitré D'!!

DH wanted to order the spaghetti & meatballs for lunch on one of our cruises, the waiter refused because he "isn't a kid".

We spoke with the Head Waiter, he chewed out the waiter and DH got his spaghetti. The Maitré D' came by and apologized, the Head Waiter apologized and the waiter made it a point to kiss our a@# every time he saw us. And he saw us a lot. We were in TD and his tables were next to our table.;p AND we were on the ship for 34 days.:D

I was just on the Crown did not have any issue with extra main and I ordered Lobster however there were several complaints from guests regarding dining and said it was only on the Crown I sell Princess and am not aware of any new dining policy that limits food

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never had this problem on Princess and I frequently order something "for the table.'

As a matter of fact, when our waiter on one cruise realize that our table of eight was doing a "one for the table" so that we could try a dish, he started bringing out servings of things he thought we should try.

Also on the Crown, but in anytime, had no problem ordering mains as starters (although they usually turned up as full size) or multiple starters, never ordered multiple mains though

Also on the Crown, but in anytime, had no problem ordering mains as starters (although they usually turned up as full size) or multiple starters, never ordered multiple mains though

We are not fans of bringing out a full main when we ask for a small taste of a dish. I know they (the wait staff) mean well but, being raised to finish what is served, there is a bit of guilt involved with leaving food uneaten. Consequently, we hesitate in ordering a tasting of a main. When watching my carbs, I make it a point to say I do not want the starch on the plate.

Could the issue have been that it was a Curtis Stone dish? I was under the impression that there was an extra charge for the Curtis Stone menu offerings.

The Curtis Stone offerings are on the MDR menu and are not charged extra. Perhaps you are thinking of Share, a Curtis Stone specialty restaurant on certain ships?

On ATD at the Crown last March, I was also told that they can only take order for one entree. I jokingly asked what if after finishing, I will go out and ask to be seated again just to take another dinner with the other entree I want. He smiled and said that if I really want another, he can not serve it at the same time. Just another one after finishing the other.

Could the issue have been that it was a Curtis Stone dish? I was under the impression that there was an extra charge for the Curtis Stone menu offerings.

There is an extra charge for the restaurant, SHARE, and you are not allowed extra appetizers or entrees without paying for them there. The Curtis Stone entrees in the MDR are just another meal option. I will be shocked if now you will not be able to order two mains. I mean, I understand leaving food is wasteful, but if they start that, then I will start sending anything I don't like back and requesting something different. I don't think this practice will continue on Princess. At least, I hope not!:o

On ATD at the Crown last March, I was also told that they can only take order for one entree. I jokingly asked what if after finishing, I will go out and ask to be seated again just to take another dinner with the other entree I want. He smiled and said that if I really want another, he can not serve it at the same time. Just another one after finishing the other.

Now that makes sense. ;)

If it does hold true I guess we'll just have to go around one more time.

Wow, if you thought the lines were long before just wait till loads of people line up another time. :D

Got to ask - how many people can eat two entrees? If people are just wanting to try the different options may be it is time for Princess to consider having a taster option made up of all the entrees that day.

Considering the size of some of the main courses I can easily eat two, especially if I don't have an appetizer or salad/soup.

Last month on the Crown for 14 days I often ordered two main dishes and never a problem just that the waitstaff would wait for me to be done with the first before bringing the second.

Perhaps the waiter was confusing himself with the owner of Princess cruise lines.