Panama Cruise Questions and cabin questions too

fedexretiree

Sorry for all the questions but trying to decide what to do here

1. I am thinking about booking a Panama Canal Cruise and was looking at the itinerary and it shows

Panama Canal (partial transit) what does that mean? Later in that same day itinerary shows Cristobal Panama from 4:00pm -7:00pm

2. Are you able to take any type of excursion that day from the ship back to Panama.

3. Is it better to take a cruise to Gatun Lake as opposed to just the partial transit? Read a review awhile ago and I believe that you were able to get off the ship and take a train and bus back to Panama if I recall correctly, that sounded like a nice excursion.

4. The ones that I am looking at are on the Island Princess and the Caribbean Princess in either category

BF/BE/BD. Are there any balcony cabins that are better than others. In other words, bigger balcony or bigger rooms. I usually sail on Celebrity and what we usually book are the category 2C on Celebrity that has the special "Sweet 16" cabins that have the huge balconies for the same cost as the regular balcony cabins.

This will probably be our only shot at this so I want to get it right the first time. Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1) Partial transit and going up to Gatun Lake and then back out are the same thing. It means that the cruise ship only goes through three lock up and goes back down the same three locks.

2) The only shore excursions you can take are the ones offered by the ship. You cannot take an independent short excursion. The shore excursions will return you to where the ship is docked. There are some shore excursions that take you all the way to the Pacific side, then you come back by train or bus (I've done one full transit and one partial transit, so I am not sure how the passengers get back to the ship, but they do get back to the ship).

3) See number one above.

4) The Island Princess will go through the original locks. The Caribbean Princess will go through the new locks.

As to the Island Princess, the "standard" balconies and the premium balconies on the Caribe deck (and only the Caribe deck) that are in the indented area are bigger, then the standard balconies that go all the way to the edge of the ship (these balconies are around the elevator shafts and forward of the forward elevator shafts and aft of the aft elevator shafts. So you have to choose between a bigger balcony with less of a view forward and aft or the smaller balconies that have an unobstructed forward and aft, but are smaller. If you want a big balcony with an unobstructed view forward and aft, you need a mini suite.

As to the Caribbean Princess, all the balconies on the Caribe deck are bigger than the standard balconies. They also offer an unobstructed view forward and aft.

The two photos below are of the Caribbean Princess. The balconies visible on the left are the Caribe balconies. The balconies visible on the right are the mini suites (Dolphin deck). About one third of the Caribe balconies cannot be seen because they are covered. Above the Caribe balconies are the Riviera, Aloha, and Baja decks. Those balconies are fully covered and thus cannot be seen in this photograph. The Caribe deck is just above the Dolphin deck.

i-NNJRSRH-L.jpg

The red arrow points to the Riviera deck. The purple arrow points to the Aloha deck. The blue arrow points to the Baja deck. The green arrow points to the Caribe deck. As you can see the Caribe balconies stick out further than the balconies above the Caribe deck. The yellow arrow points to the Dolphin deck. As you can see, the mini suite balconies stick out even further than the Caribe deck balconies.

i-sNWTjKh-L.jpg

Below is a photo of a Caribe deck balcony showing that about 1/3 of the balcony is covered and the balconies above are only as deep as the covered section of the Caribe balconies.

i-TBpxHCr-L.jpg

Here is a photo (below) of the Island Princess showing the indented sections and the sections that go all the way out to the edge of the ship.

island-princess-princess-cruises-cruise-ship-photos-2015-03-29-at-funchal-madeira-2.jpg

1) Partial transit and going up to Gatun Lake and then back out are the same thing. It means that the cruise ship only goes through three lock up and goes back down the same three locks.

2) The only shore excursions you can take are the ones offered by the ship. You cannot take an independent short excursion. The shore excursions will return you to where the ship is docked. There are some shore excursions that take you all the way to the Pacific side, then you come back by train or bus (I've done one full transit and one partial transit, so I am not sure how the passengers get back to the ship, but they do get back to the ship).

3) See number one above.

4) The Island Princess will go through the original locks. The Caribbean Princess will go through the new locks.

As to the Island Princess, the "standard" balconies and the premium balconies on the Caribe deck (and only the Caribe deck) that are in the indented area are bigger, then the standard balconies that go all the way to the edge of the ship (these balconies are around the elevator shafts and forward of the forward elevator shafts and aft of the aft elevator shafts. So you have to choose between a bigger balcony with less of a view forward and aft or the smaller balconies that have an unobstructed forward and aft, but are smaller. If you want a big balcony with an unobstructed view forward and aft, you need a mini suite.

As to the Caribbean Princess, all the balconies on the Caribe deck are bigger than the standard balconies. They also offer an unobstructed view forward and aft.[/quot]

WOW...thanks for the info..

Since you have done this cruise before did you feel safe in the ports and on the excursions?

Any excursions you would recommend? We enjoy nature and wildlife..

3) See number one above.

As to the Caribbean Princess, all the balconies on the Caribe deck are bigger than the standard balconies. They also offer an unobstructed view forward and aft.[/quot]

WOW...thanks for the info..

Since you have done this cruise before did you feel safe in the ports and on the excursions?

Any excursions you would recommend? We enjoy nature and wildlife..

Okay, first of all, both of my Panama Canal cruise were with NCL (because I like the forward facing balconies offered by NCL), not Princess. Second, I have no idea which ports you are going to. I have been on five Princess cruises so I am familiar with some of their ships. I also know that the Caribbean Princess is too big for the old locks, so must use the new locks. Since Panama charges $10 more per passenger going through the new locks verse the old locks, and since the Island Princess will fit in the old locks. I know that is the locks it will use.

As to the ports, I think the easiest way to handle this is for me to provide you with a link to my review of the partial transit (below) and then you can ask whatever questions you want, or you can let me know which ports you are visiting and I'll comment on them (I've been on 33 cruises, six of which have been in the Western Caribbean).

Link to my December 2016 partial transit cruise review ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2439655

Is it possible for you to do a full transit on the Coral Princess? This would be the best of everything. I've done it many times (both the new and historic locks). I would start from FLL (north to south) voyage. You will hit different ports and gain a few extra hours.

Is it possible for you to do a full transit on the Coral Princess? This would be the best of everything. I've done it many times (both the new and historic locks). I would start from FLL (north to south) voyage. You will hit different ports and gain a few extra hours.

I would love to do that cruise...however..my husband is a real homebody and would be one unhappy camper to be gone that long...I would have to sedate him heavily for at least 5 days..lol

Okay, first of all, both of my Panama Canal cruise were with NCL (because I like the forward facing balconies offered by NCL), not Princess. Second, I have no idea which ports you are going to. I have been on five Princess cruises so I am familiar with some of their ships. I also know that the Caribbean Princess is too big for the old locks, so must use the new locks. Since Panama charges $10 more per passenger going through the new locks verse the old locks, and since the Island Princess will fit in the old locks. I know that is the locks it will use.

As to the ports, I think the easiest way to handle this is for me to provide you with a link to my review of the partial transit (below) and then you can ask whatever questions you want, or you can let me know which ports you are visiting and I'll comment on them (I've been on 33 cruises, six of which have been in the Western Caribbean).

Link to my December 2016 partial transit cruise review ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2439655

Thanks SO SO much for all the help. Will read your review tomorrow and get back to you..

Fedexretiree, we have done this partial transit twice on Island Princess. Cartagena, Columbia was the only port where I felt apprehensive while touring. So many beggars during our walk in the Old Town area and a few other places. The humidity was so oppressive that I became ill (I was in my late 50s at the time) but my husband did fine. I did not go there on our second cruise. I liked the Costa Rica excursion much better and had no issues there. That’s all I have that might be of any help to you. We loved those cruises and bet you will, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have done both types of PC cruises. On the partial we entered Gatun lake through the 3 locks (each one elevates the ship 8 feet) and moved over to the left side of the lake. Pax who had excursions were tendered to a small pier where buses were waiting to take us on the excursion. We had the train to Panama City so the bus took us to the train terminal. When we returned to the train terminal, a bus took us to the ship. Trains reserve fast so don't wait until you board the ship as they will be sold out.

A couple at our table had booked the small boat through the canal and a bus back. Their boat had gotten behind a slow freighter (no passing in the canal) and returned to the ship after boarding time. It was a frustrating day for them but you take your chances when in the canal.

One last note about the train, it travels near the canal but many times we were not able to see the canal from the train. We were able though to go to the locks on the Pacific side where they had a visitor center with observatory and were able to watch ships moving through the Miraflores locks. Incidentally the canal actually is close to a north/south orientation due to the shape of the isthmus. Most don't know that as they believe it is a east/west canal.

I would love to do that cruise...however..my husband is a real homebody and would be one unhappy camper to be gone that long...I would have to sedate him heavily for at least 5 days..lol

Have been to the Panama Canal 5 times. I second the Coral Princess full transit. Work on your spouse. The Coral Princess was the sister ship of the Island Princess when built, but changes made to add 200 additional passengers to the Island make the Coral a better choice. If you stay with 10 days then I would select the Caribbean Princess.

A few notes regarding the 10 day.

If you don't take a ship's tour in Panama you must stay on the ship. There are lots of nice ship's tours. When the ship docks at Cristobol you can get off, but no tours. There is a tent with vendors and some local entertainment.

The town of Limon isn't so nice, and no beaches. You can walk around. Most tours there are adventure tours.

Cartagena has a nice port area and there are some tours to the old city.

I have only done the full transit on the Coral ocean to ocean. It was fantastic, so fascinating going through the old locks. If you can talk your husband into it that would be the way to go. Then you can enjoy going through the locks all six of them, going in and out of the air conditioning and the outside and moving around the ship.

One suggestion on picking a cabin is make sure if you get a balcony that is covered. We opted for a mini suite with a larger balcony however I didn't realize the balcony was completely uncovered. The weather was hot and humid and we were not able to use the balcony hardly at all due to the extreme uncomfortable heat and humidity.

The remodeled Island has the large balconies on the Promenade deck. The shower is a little larger, the television is wall-mounted, and the balcony flooring is teak, not the hard blue plastic like most other balconies. They are also completely covered. There's no access to the balcony while you are in the locks, but it's only for about 30 minutes. We stayed in one of these cabins and were completely spoiled. It was great because you have easy access to everything on the Promenade Deck.

My DH didn’t want to fly back from the West Coast, so both of our Canal cruises were partial.

This time we sailed the n Coral, which we loved, in a mini suite. So no covered balcony. Even when I don’t sit out on a balcony, I love the view from anywhere in the cabin.

We did a ship’s excursion which was a sightseeing boat from Gatun Lake to the Pacific and motorcoach back.

The view of the locks was totally different from that from the ship. It was fantastic and we went through with a Polynesian catamaran manned by French college students.

We were served lunch and beverages on the boat and sitting on the top deck under cover made it the best of all worlds.

On the motorcoach back, we drive through Panama City surprised by all the skyscrapers, and we saw the American Canal Zone homes as well as other interesting sights.

As far as ship’s excursions go, this was far and away the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another fan of the full transit vs. partial here. Most Caribe deck balcony cabins are larger than other decks. We prefer Coral/Island Princess over the rest of the fleet. Your day in the canal is just that . . . one day.

There is so much to see that you will spend most of the day roaming the ship from one vantage point to the next vs. spending time sitting on your balcony. Your cabin selection should be based on the overall cruise.

We did the full transit and took either ship or independently booked tours in every port and never felt "unsafe". These included full day stops in Acapulco and Cartagena.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

The remodeled Island has the large balconies on the Promenade deck. The shower is a little larger, the television is wall-mounted, and the balcony flooring is teak, not the hard blue plastic like most other balconies. They are also completely covered. There's no access to the balcony while you are in the locks, but it's only for about 30 minutes. We stayed in one of these cabins and were completely spoiled. It was great because you have easy access to everything on the Promenade Deck.

We are also in one of the Promenade rooms on the Island for a future Panama partial cruise. Thank you for the info. I see some people posting that over the door shoe racks are handy on the longer cruises... do people use them on this ship? We have never done that in the past but have never cruised more than 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another fan of the full transit vs. partial here.

Yes, going all the way through to the Pacific is best as the partial transit does no go through the cut that required so much excavation when the canal was built.

But, you do not have to switch your cruise dates. Just take the excursion listed below. That way you experience all of the canal on your partial transit itinerary.

We did a ship’s excursion which was a sightseeing boat from Gatun Lake to the Pacific and motorcoach back.

There are usually many good lectures about the Panama Canal on a full transit. I can't say enough about doing this "once/maybe" in a lifetime experience.

Pacific to Atlantic...overnight in Panama (tender the day before the transit). I did a super great tour that took me from one end to the other.

Atlantic to Pacific...Limon (Jaguar Center if you can get enough people for a private tour).

Balcony for sure, but don't stay in your room.

Partial...take the Coral and historic locks. Better than Caribbean Princess.

The 85' figure given for the lift to Gatun Lake is the nominal or "default" level of the Lake. The Lake can actually go as high as 89' before it tops the spillway gates at the Gatun Dam and two years ago it went down to 77' above sea level.

As to the lift for each chamber of 28', that is fairly accurate at Gatun Locks, with the lift of each chamber up to the 85' of Gatun Lake, however on the Pacific side is a little less straight forward. The lift from sea level to Miraflores Lake at Miraflores Locks is 54'. Now it would look like that would 27' per chamber, which it is, but only a certain time a day. The rest of the day up to a 21' tide enters into the calculation. Meanwhile the lift from Miraflores Lake to Gatun Lake (at this end of the Canal it is Galliard Cut) at Pedro Miguel Locks is 31'.

Sorry for appearing over precise, but I think you can see how different figures can be given for the amount of lift:).

In a perfect world I would recommend a full transit over a partial transit, the partial transit is still a great choice and it does offer some unique opportunities.

Boy did something get lost in the translation. The original post was ...

We have done both types of PC cruises. On the partial we entered Gatun lake through the 3 locks (each one elevates the ship 8 feet) and moved over to the left side of the lake.

Then this post ...

Assume you meant 28 feet...

and now this ...

According to Wikipedia it is 28 meters (about 85 feet).

Theo

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

We've gone from 8 feet per lock (a typo) to 28 feet per lock (correct as a average rounded to the nearest foot) to 28 meters (which is correct for all three locks together, not each individual lock, which is what the original post was referring to).

By the way, each lock does not raise the ship the same amount. I was given the actually figures on my first cruise though the Panama Canal in 2008, but I didn't keep the information.