Another coffee card thread

rustinsmommy

I have tried to search for anything recent on the topic but did not find anything. If I buy a coffee punch card from Ebay and it says it's unsigned,can I still use it on the ship? I had read there have been some changes and want to double check before I buy something that it would actually be usable. We sail on the Emerald August 12th.

As far as I can determine, no ship is still selling paper coffee cards. They have gone to the "coffee package" which is coded onto your cruise card. SO, if you are walking around with a coffee card, they know it didn't come from the current cruise.

Since the unlimited brewed coffee and premium tea are available on the cruise where the card was purchased only, that would not apply to any old card, regardless of where/how it was obtained.

That leaves you with the 15 punches. Hypothetically, they could be used for anything, including a cup of brewed coffee. That sells for $1.25 plus gratuity, so using your 15 punches in that way would make the card worth about $23. Of course, if you used it on the Starbucks type drinks, you'd get better value for it.

Now, factor in that Princess says that if they determine that you are using a third party card, they will confiscate it and it will have no value. That's the risk you take if you purchase on e-bay. How will they determine that you didn't buy it on an earlier cruise? They do have computer records, but I doubt that they'd check.

I don't know what a coffee card is selling for on e-bay....perhaps I should find out, since I have 2 totally blank cards from our April trip. But you have to decide whether the risk of it being confiscated is worth the difference between the e-bay price and the $36 you'd pay for the coffee package.

When I looked today the ones on ebay are going for $22-$25. I just looked at the website and you are correct. It is now a package offered per person not a card. I don't know if we would each drink 15 coffees in 7 days. Do you know how much it costs per drink? That might be the best option for us.

When I looked today the ones on ebay are going for $22-$25. I just looked at the website and you are correct. It is now a package offered per person not a card. I don't know if we would each drink 15 coffees in 7 days. Do you know how much it costs per drink? That might be the best option for us.

There is no rule that prevents you from buying a drink for your spouse. You can get one coffee program and order two beverages on it, which will cost two punches. The unlimited brewed coffee will be for the person who "owns" the card only. This would work well if only one of you is a coffee drinker.

The specialty drinks top out at $4.50, many are less depending on size and specific drink. All drinks are "one punch." Here is a link to a recent menu. http://beyondships.com/Princess-CB-menu-InternationalCafe.html

I'm with you--no way we will drink 15 specialty drinks in a 7 day cruise. But that's the choice now. You either get the package or you don't.

I booked the "celebrations package" for our next cruise, which includes the "coffee card" because we needed a new one....then they decide to go "cardless" so either I cancel the celebrations package and rebook just the balcony breakfast, but it does include two mugs......We are on a 10 nighter, and normally just have maybe 5 cappies during the cruise and hold over for the next one. we have a few weeks to decide if to cancel the package...I don't like to be forced to finish something that for years was at your leisure.

First I would say that you want to make sure that the card is def. the last/newest version of punchcard, that is totally unmarked and undated. In the past, when somebody has presented a card that is unmarked, the barista was supposed to write the current cruise sailing number on the card.

There are threads with a lot of good info.They are supposed to honor these cards thru this year.

And, it has also been posted that they will honored thru a date in 2019.

I think that whether or not you will be questioned for a regular cup of brewed coffee might be up to the interpretation of the barista.

Since this is still what I would consider a relatively new and controversial change, they might not question the card at all. Wanting to minimize any issues and complaints.

The punches will def be honored.

The regular coffee served on the newer ships is supposed to be better than that reconstituted syrup on the older ships.

So, the ship you are on might be a factor as well.

I could be wrong, but I hear a lot of fear and speculation right now.

I don't think I am hearing about a ton of cruisers being denied the use of the cards.

I have not just returned from sailing. I am not the biggest expert.

We are like others, we have two brand new and unmarked coffee cards that were going to be for our last cruise that we had to cancel.

We will have the drink package as a perk on our next and only expected cruise.

So, theoretically, we could try to sell them on eBay.

But, I wouldn't want to do that. Especially with no guarantee that they might be of full use/value.

As far as I can determine' date=' no ship is still selling paper coffee cards. They have gone to the "coffee package" which is coded onto your cruise card. SO, if you are walking around with a coffee card, they know it didn't come from the current cruise.

[b']Since the unlimited brewed coffee and premium tea are available on the cruise where the card was purchased only[/b], that would not apply to any old card, regardless of where/how it was obtained.

That leaves you with the 15 punches. Hypothetically, they could be used for anything, including a cup of brewed coffee. That sells for $1.25 plus gratuity, so using your 15 punches in that way would make the card worth about $23. Of course, if you used it on the Starbucks type drinks, you'd get better value for it.

Now, factor in that Princess says that if they determine that you are using a third party card, they will confiscate it and it will have no value. That's the risk you take if you purchase on e-bay. How will they determine that you didn't buy it on an earlier cruise? They do have computer records, but I doubt that they'd check.

I don't know what a coffee card is selling for on e-bay....perhaps I should find out, since I have 2 totally blank cards from our April trip. But you have to decide whether the risk of it being confiscated is worth the difference between the e-bay price and the $36 you'd pay for the coffee package.

You may be correct about my bolded part of your quote, but I don't recall that being documented. I say so, since I've taken an older version of an UNUSED card and was able to get coffee w/o a punch. Granted, this may be changed now with the new package, but I wouldn't be surprised that they'll still offer the free coffee if the cruiser "turns in" a totally unused or unstamped card. No guarantees, but I wouldn't absolutely state that the "free" coffee is no longer an option... free brewed that is.

You may be correct about my bolded part of your quote, but I don't recall that being documented. I say so, since I've taken an older version of an UNUSED card and was able to get coffee w/o a punch. Granted, this may be changed now with the new package, but I wouldn't be surprised that they'll still offer the free coffee if the cruiser "turns in" a totally unused or unstamped card. No guarantees, but I wouldn't absolutely state that the "free" coffee is no longer an option... free brewed that is.

I do understand that NOTHING on Princess seems to be uniform. A whole lot depends on the crew member you are dealing with, the ship you are on, etc.

All I can do is to read what's on the Princess web site and download some of it to a folder so that if there is a question during my upcoming cruise, I have documentation!

[...]I don't recall that being documented.

Excerpts from the current T&C of the Coffee "Card" program:

Have a paper New Grounds Coffee Card purchased for voyages prior to June 2018? View Coffee Card full terms & conditions.

Package Details and Qualifications

• Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card. If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019.
  • Unused punches may be used on subsequent voyages unless the card has expired.
  • Free brewed coffee is available only on the voyage of issue.
  • Coffee cards cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Coffee package cards are only valid for use by the purchase

Terms and Conditions

• Each card must display the date of purchase to be valid.
  • Cards without a date of purchase will have one added at the time of service by a crew member.
  • Cards that have been purchased from secondary sources, other than Princess Cruises, altered, tampered with, photocopied or are expired will be retained by the vessel at their sole discretion and are considered void.

I have tried to search for anything recent on the topic but did not find anything. If I buy a coffee punch card from Ebay and it says it's unsigned,can I still use it on the ship? I had read there have been some changes and want to double check before I buy something that it would actually be usable. We sail on the Emerald August 12th.

If you have a card that has punches on it, you can still use it.

I do understand that NOTHING on Princess seems to be uniform. A whole lot depends on the crew member you are dealing with, the ship you are on, etc.

It also pays to know what the rules should be. Upon embarkation day on the CB, a couple of cruises ago, we went to the buffet, found a seat outside near the Outrigger Bar, here comes a server about drinks, I tell her I want an iced tea, she ask's for my cruise card, I tell her NO, its included, she goes over to a couple of other servers standing there, they shake their heads, and she comes back with my tea. IF I would have been a new cruiser, I would have turned over my card to her. SO, if you disagree with a crew member, find another one and see what they have to say...

If you have a card that has punches on it, you can still use it.

Per the web site, you can use it until Aug. 31, 2019 OR until any earlier expiration date that appears on the card. And yes, to the above post--CCs often seem to know more than some crew members!

We just had a friend who purchased a coffee card on eBay get off the Carib Princess and they had no problem using the card. The one he bought expired at the end of this year.

Of course it wasn't good for the brewed coffee without using a punch but he got his money's worth for specialty coffee which was the main reason for buying it.

As far as I can determine' date=' no ship is still selling paper coffee cards. They have gone to the "coffee package" which is coded onto your cruise card. SO, if you are walking around with a coffee card, they know it didn't come from the current cruise.

Since the unlimited brewed coffee and premium tea are available on the cruise where the card was purchased only, that would not apply to any old card, regardless of where/how it was obtained.

I don't know what a coffee card is selling for on e-bay....perhaps I should find out, since I have 2 totally blank cards from our April trip. But you have to decide whether the risk of it being confiscated is worth the difference between the e-bay price and the $36 you'd pay for the coffee package.[/quote']

Received paper card on Crown in May. Had expiration printed on back. 36f7f93cad90c16927a2b4c5e37cd66f.jpg10b358b0d355c400878f4e51aa7ef989.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! We'll probably do one package and both use it. We've never cruised before so it's hard to know what to expect. I'm a bit of a coffee snob so I know I don't want to do the "free" coffee as it sounds like it's instant.
The coffee served in the buffet and dining rooms is made from a coffee syrup. Some people hate it. Others think it's fine.

The coffee served in the buffet and dining rooms is made from a coffee syrup. Some people hate it. Others think it's fine.

While that is true on the Emerald, it isn't true for all ships in the Princess fleet (in case future cruisers on other ships have similar concerns). I'm not a coffee drinker but I'm sure I've read that the Royal class ships have brewed coffee throughout. I know my DH (who is a coffee drinker) thinks brewed coffee is much better on the Royal Princess - the only one of the Royal class ships we sailed on (3 cruises with a total of over 50 days).

I don't know what a coffee card is selling for on e-bay....perhaps I should find out, since I have 2 totally blank cards from our April trip. But you have to decide whether the risk of it being confiscated is worth the difference between the e-bay price and the $36 you'd pay for the coffee package.[/quote']

I have a punch card I bought a couple of years ago. I didn’t finish it. I was told back than to save it and use it in another cruise does that mean I will not be able to use it? Do they still sell a 15 coffee package and add it to sail pass? What is the new way for coffee ?

I have a punch card I bought a couple of years ago. I didn’t finish it. I was told back than to save it and use it in another cruise does that mean I will not be able to use it? Do they still sell a 15 coffee package and add it to sail pass? What is the new way for coffee ?

While the new coffee program does not issue cards- it's stored in their system & you use your cruise card. You still won't be able to get free brewed coffee with the card unless they punch it.

You can still use your older card punches until the end of the year if that's the expiration date on it or if it has no date it'll expire on 8/31/19.

Princess has decided to cancel all older card punches at that point effectively confiscating peoples money.

Although they say that you cannot pass or purchase cards to another person there's no way to tell how a person has acquired the card since there is no number on the card to prove otherwise.

Like I posted previously, my friend had no trouble using a card purchased on eBay just recently.

If I was sailing before 8/19, and can get a good buy on a card on eBay, I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

We only use it for specialty drinks. So the brewed coffee thing is not an issue. We have never had a problem using an eBay purchased card and I expect to use my cards on our next sailing.

YES you can use it, if it says on BACK that expire Dec 31st you can use it, if says NOTHING then you can use it thru next August 2019, still a ripoff for those who bought cards in past AND TOLD they are good till you finish punches

I would suspect that a large majority of unused paper coffee card punches were never purchased, but were instead given out by the Princess by those doing mini-bar swaps. Most purchased cards generally get mostly used, if not completely used, during the cruise for which they were purchased. In general maybe a few punches left. On the other hand those that collected them as part of swaps tend to build up unused cards quickly.

Excerpts from the current T&C of the Coffee "Card" program:

Have a paper New Grounds Coffee Card purchased for voyages prior to June 2018? View Coffee Card full terms & conditions.

Package Details and Qualifications

• Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card. If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019.
  • Unused punches may be used on subsequent voyages unless the card has expired.
  • Free brewed coffee is available only on the voyage of issue.
  • Coffee cards cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Coffee package cards are only valid for use by the purchase

Terms and Conditions

• Each card must display the date of purchase to be valid.
  • Cards without a date of purchase will have one added at the time of service by a crew member.
  • Cards that have been purchased from secondary sources, other than Princess Cruises, altered, tampered with, photocopied or are expired will be retained by the vessel at their sole discretion and are considered void.

Thanks for digging this up. I must have missed it. I do find it odd that they added that bullet point (Red above.) Why not just state that free brewed coffee is only available with the new coffee package? Since they aren't being issued any longer, why state that it's only for voyage of issue? These are rhetorical, since it's a bit of a vent on my part. I also find it a bit odd to have a crew member add a date of purchase to it. Since the free brewed coffee is no longer an option, what difference will it make when the card is "purchased?" All the cards are done by the same date now, so who cares? I just figured that date is only an issue for the free brewed stuff.