First claim ever

camper49

We have cruised 30 times. First 15 never had insurance..really not a good idea. Three weeks ago ...five days before our cruise DH came down with a nasty case of shingles. Of course had to cancel....hopefully our claim will be paid.

I hope you saw a physician, one who stated he could not travel for medical reasons?

(I'm assuming that shingles would qualify, unfortunately for your husband!)

If you don't already have it, get a letter ,on letterhead, etc., stating the date the physician saw your husband and that he determined that H was unable to travel for medical reasons.

Chances are the insurance forms will include one for the physician to complete, but it's best for you if you've got that letter.

IMPORTANT is that a physician is consulted and make the declaration (not to travel) asap once there is a medical problem.

If you've got that covered properly, then the rest should be fine.

==> Do you have a waiver for pre-existing conditions?

I don't know if "shingles" would trigger any exploration of prior medical records, but having that waiver can speed up the claims process no matter what, as there's no reason for the insurer to double check "whether the medical condition is covered".

I hope he recovers quickly!

Our first insurance claim was due to a medical emergency less than 2 weeks prior to our planned departure from home, and it was so disappointing...

We used Travel Insured, and they paid promptly, so we've stuck with them. And we've had a few more claims with them, also paid promptly.

GC

• 2 weeks later...
I am so sorry to hear that you had to cancel the cruise.

Sometimes on a full reimbursement it can take a little longer to get the refund but you can check from time to time on the status.

Keith

We have received our reimbursement . Now to book another cruise in 2019.

We have received our reimbursement . Now to book another cruise in 2019.

That is wonderful - that you got paid by the insurance (NOT that you had to cancel, obviously).

Perhaps you could share the name of you insurer, so others can perhaps benefit.

And hope you enjoy your cruise in 2019, and many more!

GC