Trip Insurance Question

RecoveryDude

Hi! I've never got trip insurance before ... but now my job is telling me they won't approve my vacation time until 30 days before the trip ... which is not good since final payment is 90 days before the trip. UGH. So now I have to get trip insurance in case I have to cancel a month out.

I know I would need the "Cancel for any reason" type insurance but my question is ... I am single and share my cabin with a buddy - typically I pay for all or part of my buddy's cruise fare as I can afford to do that.

Here are my questions:

1. Would I have to get 2 insurance policies??? ....one for my fare and one for his? Or could I insure the whole trip as long as I can prove I paid the whole balance (for double occupancy) on my credit card?

2. Will this insurance also cover other non-refundable things like airfare, and pre-paid car rental and pre-post cruise hotels?

3. How difficult is it to successfully collect a claim?

Any help or opinions would be very appreciated!

Hi! I've never got trip insurance before ... but now my job is telling me they won't approve my vacation time until 30 days before the trip ... which is not good since final payment is 90 days before the trip. UGH. So now I have to get trip insurance in case I have to cancel a month out.

I know I would need the "Cancel for any reason" type insurance but my question is ... I am single and share my cabin with a buddy - typically I pay for all or part of my buddy's cruise fare as I can afford to do that.

Here are my questions:

1. Would I have to get 2 insurance policies??? ....one for my fare and one for his? Or could I insure the whole trip as long as I can prove I paid the whole balance (for double occupancy) on my credit card?

2. Will this insurance also cover other non-refundable things like airfare, and pre-paid car rental and pre-post cruise hotels?

3. How difficult is it to successfully collect a claim?

Any help or opinions would be very appreciated!

You buy 1 policy to cover 2 people, just list names & ages.

Different policies have different coverages - buy a policy that has coverage for everything that you are concerned about.

You do have to buy separate policies if you and your cabin-mate live at different addresses. Travel insurance generally covers change in work schedule type events but it also cover unforeseen events so your situation is questionable whether are not you will be covered. Good luck.

I would look at InsureMyTrip. You can search many different companies for the policy that is right for you. If you feel like this is a big gamble - that your work will approve your PTO - then I'd like for something that provides complete reimbursement or close to it for cancellation of any reason. It might be twice a normal policy but worth it if you feel like its 50/50 that you can go or not. That sucks man.

You want cancel for work reasons coverage. Not cancel for any reason. As long as you live in the same state you can get the same policy I'm pretty sure. Insure my trip dot com is pretty good for finding the right coverage. Use the pop up chat feature to talk to an agent licensed in your state.

Try Insurmytrip.com. They have several policies with different companies. I had to purchase two policies because our son lives in a different state. I was also told, that you had to have your time approved, and then if it was cancelled, you would be able to get a refund. If you are getting the insurance BEFORE you have it approved, it may not be covered. This is what was advised to me. Hope this helps. I used the chat form and made phone calls.

I was also told, that you had to have your time approved, and then if it was cancelled, you would be able to get a refund. If you are getting the insurance BEFORE you have it approved, it may not be covered. .

Good information to have

Carnivals insurance covers for work related reasons. Might only be a 75% future credit like their CFAR though

Carnival's insurance is insufficient, especially for emergency evac. We had to cancel our January 13 transcanal on the Miracle due to a death in the family. We used insuremytrip.com and chose Nationwide Cruise and insured the trip for $7000 and we are getting a full refund. You insure your trip by cash value, not each segment. The insurance was about $300.

Carnival's insurance is insufficient, especially for emergency evac. We had to cancel our January 13 transcanal on the Miracle due to a death in the family. We used insuremytrip.com and chose Nationwide Cruise and insured the trip for $7000 and we are getting a full refund. You insure your trip by cash value, not each segment. The insurance was about $300.

I'm glad that the cruise insurance is going to cover your costs. I have purchased the Nationwide Cruise insurance the last three cruises but, thankfully, have not had to use it. It has good ratings and the policy benefits look pretty comprehensive.

you better have every piece of paperwork in order. We had to resubmit papers twice, however, they have been very nice and see no problem with the claim. If anyone wonders why so long, it took us a month to get the death certificate from the state of California.

Boy, that really makes me thankful for my employer. I get no grief out of them ever. Be sure to read the fine print carefully to be sure they will cover cancellation for work reasons - I was looking over one once and found it in fact did not cover work reasons. Since my son in laws' schedules with the fire department were still unknown, we had to pass on that one.

Most insurers that cover for cancellation due to an employer not letting you go require that the time off to have been approved at the time the policy was purchased and/or the time the cruise was booked. You can't file a claim for having your vacation time yanked out from under you if you can't prove that it was given in the first place. There's a difference between not being able to get the time off (non-insurable) and having previously granted time off cancelled (Insurable). Booking a cruise without knowing if you'll get the time off ain't gonna cut it. And you had better have something in writing from the boss dated the day the vacation time was approved and something additional in writing and dated the day the previously approved vacation time was cancelled.

Most insurers that cover for cancellation due to an employer not letting you go require that the time off to have been approved at the time the policy was purchased and/or the time the cruise was booked. You can't file a claim for having your vacation time yanked out from under you if you can't prove that it was given in the first place. There's a difference between not being able to get the time off (non-insurable) and having previously granted time off cancelled (Insurable). Booking a cruise without knowing if you'll get the time off ain't gonna cut it. And you had better have something in writing from the boss dated the day the vacation time was approved and something additional in writing and dated the day the previously approved vacation time was cancelled.

Welcome back Cruiseco. Not sure where you've been but sure have missed your knowledge and input on this forum.

Tough question to ask, but I'll ask.

For insurance coverage purposes, is it possible to be diagnosed with a terminal illness and be considered "Fit For Travel".

Not sure which line you are sailing with, but most cruise line insurance isn’t good coverage. Rare to cover work situations, often have inadequate coverage limits on Medical and Air Evac, and with RC cruise insurance if you purchase your flights and not through RC air2sea, your flights aren’t covered. Many things to look for.

For insurance coverage purposes, is it possible to be diagnosed with a terminal illness and be considered "Fit For Travel".

Insurers will not cover any situation that's expected -- only unexpected circumstances. When it won't be covered is if the illness is NOT being actively treated -- person is only receiving palliative care or hospice-like care. Or if the person has been given a time frame in which death might ensue -- 6 months, a year, whatever. In those cases the loss is expected and pretty much non-insurable.

Ant other situation is open to interpretation. If the person is being actively treated and the doctor will attest that at the time the policy was purchased there was still hope for recovery then it's possible to argue that this should be covered like any pre-existing condition. Your choices are to insure yourself including all of the plan's requirements to have the pre-existing condition exclusion waived and be willing to appeal any claim denial to your state's Department of Insurance. Or, buy a plan that has a "cancel for any reason" benefit. With that choice you know beforehand your maximum loss with little or no hassle.

Your friend could still go on the cruise even if you cancel. He would have to pay a single supplement (basically pay for two people). I bring this up because there are policies that would reimburse that extra fare for him if his travel partner has to cancel for a covered reason. Basically reimburse you for having to cancel, and reimburse him for having an extra expense because you canceled.