Sneaking Alcohol onto Ship.

I read an article on here that was entitled "5 reasons to not sneak alcohol onto the ship." Hate to say, but, that is BS. There is no reason that you shouldn't, unless you want to pay the ridiculous prices onboard. Anyways, I am sure this post will determine whether this is a cruiser forum or a cruise line forum. We will see if it is deleted...

Well, I noticed a fatal flaw in security on Royal Caribbean. I am currently on Adventure of the Seas, in Curacao. I noticed this after the first port, and at the second, and did it at the third...

When you return to the ship, and your booze goes through the X-ray, they tell you to see the alcohol desk at the back. Well, what I noticed, was when you reboard the ship, and it is a little busy, nobody is really looking too hard. So, when you buy your booze, put it in 2 bags. They are looking for you to head to the desk with the bag. Since there are two, my girlfriend snagged one of them up, and walked right to the elevator while I took the other, and like a good little rule-follower, went and checked it in. Make sure that when you put the two bags on the X-ray, you put them next to each other. The X-ray will just show the bottles, not the bag. I saw other people doing this too... Also if the booze table is busy, you can just stand there for a second, and then while he is busy with someone else, just go to the elevator nonchalantly...

Now, the irony of this whole thing is that I don't really drink. I can count on one hand the number of drinks I've actually drank on a cruise. If I did drink, I'd just get a soda card, and a water bottle and fill the water bottle with clear alcohol... Easy...

If I did drink, I'd just get a soda card, and a water bottle and fill the water bottle with clear alcohol... Easy...

Can you explain this?

Once you have smuggled the alcohol onboard what's the reason to hide the alcohol in a water bottle? Do you mean that you then can get a soda in a bar and pour some "water" in it to get a drink?

That is so you can have your booze sitting on top of the table and spike your soda from the “water” bottle. Also, you don’t want the booze bottle in your cabin. I have no idea what the cabin attendant would say. But, I am sure they are not going to sniff your water bottle in your cabin or your table by the pool...

Actually, I have bought 10 on the cruise. 6 in st Thomas since that is the limit and I checked them all in. And another 4 in Curasao. I checked them all in except the 2 which are in my stateroom. But, since when do you get 5 drinks for $10 on a cruise? Since when do you get 5 drinks from a liter of rum? I think your math is off a little bit. But, I am sure that you are more into the idea that I would have the gall to smuggle booze onto a ship when you are paying $10 per rum and coke... but it is a moot point since I don’t drink and the 2 in my stateroom will not get opened...imagejpeg

• Like 1

I’m not one to lecture anyone else about smuggling booze on board. I’ve done it myself quite a few times when I was younger. Be that as it may, I certainly wouldn’t be a braggart about it, and definitely wouldn’t post my thoughts on it with such an attitude.

One interesting point of fact, you state you’re not much of a drinker, yet your profile name is BoozerCruiser? Really.......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was not bragging. The name of this forum is saving money. Seems like a drink tab is one of the larger costs on a cruise for many people. I was just sharing an observation on the security. I am not interested if you think that it is the right thing to do or not. If you actually read the disclaimers and rules on the website small print that you must agree to to book a cruise, then you would see just how messed up and one sided a cruise disclaimer is. More power to anyone who wants to fight back over the draconian rules that are set in place. I personally got hosed one year, getting a large balcony and then RCCL changed the rules on smoking on your balcony after I booked and before the cruise date. When I complained, they referred me to the 37 pages of tiny print. Tough. A rule is not broken if you don’t get caught...

As for my name, yes, it is rather paradoxical. If you notice, this was my first post and 5 cutsie names that I tried were taken. So, don’t judge a book...

I’m not one to lecture anyone else about smuggling booze on board. I’ve done it myself quite a few times when I was younger. Be that as it may, I certainly wouldn’t be a braggart about it, and definitely wouldn’t post my thoughts on it with such an attitude.

One interesting point of fact, you state you’re not much of a drinker, yet your profile name is BoozerCruiser? Really.......

I was not bragging. The name of this forum is saving money. Seems like a drink tab is one of the larger costs on a cruise for many people. I was just sharing an observation on the security. I am not interested if you think that it is the right thing to do or not. If you actually read the disclaimers and rules on the website small print that you must agree to to book a cruise, then you would see just how messed up and one sided a cruise disclaimer is. More power to anyone who wants to fight back over the draconian rules that are set in place. I personally got hosed one year, getting a large balcony and then RCCL changed the rules on smoking on your balcony after I booked and before the cruise date. When I complained, they referred me to the 37 pages of tiny print. Tough. A rule is not broken if you don’t get caught...

As for my name, yes, it is rather paradoxical. If you notice, this was my first post and 5 cutsie names that I tried were taken. So, don’t judge a book...

Not judging a book. Judging the crappy entitled attitude. I’m out. Not worth my time.

• 9 months later...

An update.  I told a friend of mine about this, and just this morning, there was 6 bottles of Caribbean rum and a $100 bill waiting for me on my porch.  My friend said he saved over $1000 between him and his wife (both former Navy officers who can drink more in a day than I can carry...) on his cruise.  He said they did that at every port, sneaking 2 liters aboard each day while purchasing 2 more to bring to the check-in desk...  Glad someone liked my tip...

On 3/21/2018 at 2:42 PM, BoozerCruiser1013 said:

I read an article on here that was entitled "5 reasons to not sneak alcohol onto the ship." Hate to say, but, that is BS. There is no reason that you shouldn't, unless you want to pay the ridiculous prices onboard.  ...snip...

There is one reason I don't.  The main reason that I won't sneak booze on board is the fact that I signed the cruise contract agreeing to their terms.  When I sign a contract I abide by it.

Edited by sft429