Solo cruise and drinks package - is there anyway to do this?

BrookeJ75

Hi All

I am considering booking a solo cruise for the first time as I have recently separated from my husband but still want to travel. I've noticed that you have to book the drinks package for both people in a room. I have been thinking about booking a discounted room for 2 adults and then cancelling him as a no show.

Can you then cancel his drinks package for a refund and keep mine? Also if I was changing the booking to my son, can I then cancel the husbands drinks package.

This may not be the correct forum for this so I apologise in advance if not the right place.

Thanks

Brooke

Hi All

I am considering booking a solo cruise for the first time as I have recently separated from my husband but still want to travel. I've noticed that you have to book the drinks package for both people in a room. I have been thinking about booking a discounted room for 2 adults and then cancelling him as a no show.

Can you then cancel his drinks package for a refund and keep mine? Also if I was changing the booking to my son, can I then cancel the husbands drinks package.

This may not be the correct forum for this so I apologise in advance if not the right place.

Thanks

Brooke

Hi Brooke, what cruiseline are you sailing? I know when I cruise I always go solo and the drink package is per person

so not sure why you would have to buy 2 packages? That does not make any sense to me. I would call the cruiseline

about this and ask them directly.

Hi All

Thanks

Brooke

Hi Brooke,

Like Lois said, you should ask the cruise line or travel agent since each cruise line has their own policy.

That being said, I've cruised solo quite a bit on NCL and Carnival have never had to buy 2 drink packages. My experience is that you only have to buy multiple drink packages is when in there are multiple people in the same cabin and they are all above 21. If you're still not within the final payment then you should be able to make a change to the names without penalty. Otherwise there could be charges for a name change but you should talk with the cruise line or travel agent you booked with to see if this could be waved. It never hurts to see if they'll work with you.

-Mark

The technique of booking 2 people for a better price than a solo booking has been discussed before and I think is what OP is considering. In this case, depending on the line, yes, she would be required to purchase a package for each person over 21.

If passenger name is transferred to son, under 21, you might need to still purchase a non alcohol beverage package for him.

If you stick with going solo and claim a no show at the jetty, you get the port fees refunded, but I am not sure about the drinks package. I think so, but ask on the CC specificspecificcruis cruise line's board. Also ask them about the son's package requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I know when they first started his program and close friend and I were sailing together and sharing a cabin. She wanted the cheers package, But I didn't. Was told we both had to purchase it since in the same cabin,she couldn't by herself. I don't drink enough or was attempting for the cost and she couldn't get the package.

Hi Brooke, what cruiseline are you sailing? I know when I cruise I always go solo and the drink package is per person

so not sure why you would have to buy 2 packages? That does not make any sense to me. I would call the cruiseline

about this and ask them directly.

Hi Brooke, what Lois said! :) I always cruise solo and sometimes get the drink package and it is always per person. Never heard of charging you twice. However, I don't know what cruise line you are on, I only cruise Celebrity and, occasionally, Holland. I agree, I would call and ask.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just booked last night as a solo with Princess for later this month. I asked if I add a friend to the reservation, is she required to purchase the drink package if I do. The answer was no. The last time I went on NCL there were two adults in one cabin, and we were both required to have the drink package. That was on Jade in April 2017. I've traveled both lines in the past year and bought the drink package. I was never required to buy 2 drink packages on either NCL or Princess when traveling solo. Most recent NCL was November 2017, most recent Princess was February 2018 . I don't know what other lines may require. I hope this helps.

I think you misunderstood what the cruise line was saying. If you cruise solo since there is only you in the cabin you are the only one that needs to buy the drink package. Now I do know that if you cruise on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and there are other people in your cabin 21 years or older then both people have to buy the drink package. I have been cruising solo for several years now on the above cruise lines and I was the only one that had to buy the package since I was the only one in my cabin.

The discounted rates for drink packages is available once you board. Then buy for the only person in the cabin - you. If you try to prepay that, they will expect you to pay for both people booked to travel.

If you can't book solo for the same price as two people, then book the second person as a young child and have them be a no-show at the pier. They're not going to make you buy an alcohol package for a baby!

Although do check with a travel agent first, instead of just booking by yourself online. My travel agent was able to book me solo at the same price as two people when RCI was running a "second person half off" sale (so I paid 150% of the per-person rate), but when I tried to price the cruise myself online through RCI's site, they wanted to charge me a full single supplement (so I would have paid 200% of the per-person rate).