Does 0 amount void pre-existing waiver!

Sunny0528

Ok I'm confused, new to trip insurance a lot of what i read on these boards say that if I only put $1 or 0 in trip costs the pre-existing waiver is invalid even if within 21 day period required. However I talked to Insure my trip and they tell me if i put in 0 I'll only have the medical and medical portion (which is all i want for family of 5) and it DOES NOT void the pre existing clause (if brought in the time period) except for one company (CSA i think) has anyone experienced this as I seem to get conflicting information, THANK YOU!!!

The pre-existing waiver on most (all?) policies requires that you insure all non refundable prepaid costs; so using only $0 or $1 or $200 would mean you are not elegible for the PEC waiver. If the broker knows of a policy that does not require insuring the full cost, then you might have that as an option. I have not heard of any major policy that does.

Ok thank you for your reply!!! I did find a couple policies that you don't need to put in the full amount and you still get the waiver if in the allotted time! So if anyone needs this as an option its available!!

Many policies do not require that one insure more than the initial deposit at the start, and still get that important waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions.

But that wasn't what you asked about.

You were asking about not including *any* dollar amount (or just $1), and that is quite a different situation.

I'm not sure what your actual initial question was.

GC

Wow, I think I got snookered - my own fault, I guess. We bought insurance for an upcoming trip and only wanted to insure for medical and evacuation, so put trip cost in as zero, Did not realize that invalidates the pre-existing condition waiver. I just read the terms and conditions and it looks like we will have to add coverage for the whole amount to get the pre-existing condition waiver.

Wow, I think I got snookered - my own fault, I guess. We bought insurance for an upcoming trip and only wanted to insure for medical and evacuation, so put trip cost in as zero, Did not realize that invalidates the pre-existing condition waiver. I just read the terms and conditions and it looks like we will have to add coverage for the whole amount to get the pre-existing condition waiver.

You should double check the insurer/policy about deadlines for that waiver.

Most require that the deposit be insured (at a minimum, if that's the only pre-payment) within 10-20 days.

There IS at least one insurer that will offer that waiver much later, fortunately.

You might want to contact

www.TripInsuranceStore.com to see what your options are if the 10-20 day deadline for most policies has passed.

GC

Thanks - did purchase the insurance (for the anount of the initial deposit) within the pre-existing condition window, so I think we might be okay if we go ahead and insure the full trip at or before final payment.

Thanks - did purchase the insurance (for the anount of the initial deposit) within the pre-existing condition window, so I think we might be okay if we go ahead and insure the full trip at or before final payment.

Great!

And IF you make any intermediate payments, double check with the insurer whether you need to "up" the coverage, unless any extra payments still fall within the "interval" already insured.

Our policies start in $500 "bumps", and then as the amount goes up, it changes to $1k bumps.

We try to keep hotels as "guaranteed to our charge card" rather than prepaying those, so that they don't affect any insurance amounts.

GC