Spain, Italy, France Cruise attire

hi2you

YMMV means "your mileage may vary" (it's a way of saying that actual experiences tend to differ...)

I believe about a decade ago some fashion person decreed that these types of pants (capris/crops whatever we call them) were universally unflattering. At that time, though, the prevailing style of these was a rather loose leg that was cropped about mid-calf.

Personally, I find the slimmer fitted capris and crops are certainly more flattering on me than an equivalent length or longer skirt, which are the other practical options when touring in Europe when it is a) very hot and b) you want to be appropriately dressed.

There is a large difference between this:

66119629_692.tif&wid=480=&cvt=jpeg

and something like these:

My-capri-pants1.jpg

Oh good grief - that first pair is hideous!! If that's what you meant, no wonder you said they're unflattering.

I of course was talking about the second type of capri/crop/whatever you like to call it!

Wouldn't be seen dead in the others which my DH refers to as 'Pirates of the Caribbean' trousers🙀

YMMV means "your mileage may vary" (it's a way of saying that actual experiences tend to differ...)

I believe about a decade ago some fashion person decreed that these types of pants (capris/crops whatever we call them) were universally unflattering. At that time, though, the prevailing style of these was a rather loose leg that was cropped about mid-calf.

Personally, I find the slimmer fitted capris and crops are certainly more flattering on me than an equivalent length or longer skirt, which are the other practical options when touring in Europe when it is a) very hot and b) you want to be appropriately dressed.

There is a large difference between this:

66119629_692.tif&wid=480=&cvt=jpeg

and something like these:

My-capri-pants1.jpg

I, too, love crop/ankle length. I have a favourite navy pair I would love to take, but they are temp. dependant. If it's hotter, the fabric may be too heavy. I also am trying to figure out a top, for a skirt I have...not quite maxi length, it's a black and cream print. A black top looks too 'dark'. I am wondering if some colour would work with it, or perhaps I will simply leave it home. It's a flowy skirt, so type of top is also in question...probably fitted, but is a tshirt not nice enough, I am questioning.

Off topic, what does the quote in the one picture read?

Edited by hi2you
more to add

I, too, love crop/ankle length. I have a favourite navy pair I would love to take, but they are temp. dependant. If it's hotter, the fabric may be too heavy. I also am trying to figure out a top, for a skirt I have...not quite maxi length, it's a black and cream print. A black top looks too 'dark'. I am wondering if some colour would work with it, or perhaps I will simply leave it home. It's a flowy skirt, so type of top is also in question...probably fitted, but is a tshirt not nice enough, I am questioning.

I often wear ladies cut t-shirts (like Old Navy's Perfect Tee) with skirts, but not a uni-sex t-shirt like I might get from a 5K run. I would think a bold color or jewel tone would work with your skirt.

The quote looks like Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

Edit: I quoted from NIV, but it looks like the picture version has "acknowledge him in all your ways" instead of "in all your ways submit to him."

Edited by pacruise804
clarification

Well, since my capris have been judged hideous, I invested in a pair if cropped chinos from Lands End today. I just hope it isn’t too hot to wear them.

Not me, I'm bringing my hideous capris with me, I would rather cool and comfy, than hot ,sticky, and miserable, and I don't much care what other people think.

Regarding the photos posted above, the pair with the wider/shorter legs is also suffering from a lack of styling, as it were. In black, with better shoes and a contrasting top, and with a cute hairdo and makeup visible, they'd look better. The other style in beige with a white top and Keds wouldn't look that great, either.

I'm with Barrheadlass--I'll wear what I like. I see enough people with clothing that's not my taste and obviously they don't care what I think, so I won't worry about what they think of me.

Almost all European religious venues require the respectful dressing of covered shoulders and knees.

Carry a large scarf if your wearing sleeveless.

This. Some churches will require head coverings during festivals, and the scarf works perfectly for that as well. It's also a day saver when you manage to dribble red wine down the front of your shirt at lunch. Out comes the scarf, which gets arranged to cover the spots.

I'm not really sure how one gets the idea that 3" or 4" more fabric on one's lower leg is going to make one drastically hotter? :confused:

Studies have actually shown that covering the skin, when out in direct sunlight, keeps one cooler as the skin is not exposed.

Besides, I'd think fabric itself would make more of a difference. A cute pair of lightweight navy and white seersucker ankle pants, for example, topped with a fitted navy tee would certainly be cooler than, let's say, heavy twill or denim-weight full crops.

(...and bravo to those who don't choose to follow fashion, but I would just suggest that as this is the cruise FASHION board, fashion is what is discussed. :rolleyes:)

I think after doing a few of these type of cruises you tend to figure out what works for you... I have a few "go to" outfits that make packing a bit easier for me, we tend to travel off season, for about 3 or 4 weeks at a time, & like to pack light. I'm not a pants person, just not my thing, but I'll wear my skinny jeans if it's cool or raining or black leggings tucked into boots. If I'm in a casual town, I wear linen shorts (gasp, I know) with a tank top layered with a long sleeved lightweight linen, cotton or silk blouse. We've rarely been in Europe when it's actually hot, our usual travel months are Oct., Nov., & Dec. however, we did go in May once when it did get quite warm, on those days I wore longish skirts, actually these two from Garnet Hill (that's my favorite shop)

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=80595434

dca8a05edc00997aac131a7b82488205.jpg

Kept me cool & comfortable & no problem entering churches. & no, I didn't wear those shoes, my birkenstocks do fine when if I'm not wearing boots. When we rode bikes on the Appian Way I wore linen shorts that day, I also always, always wear a good spf hat from Tilley as I'd rather not get wrinkles if I can avoid them ;)

When my daughter was living in France, I saw plenty of locals wearing shorts, but this was a casual town (Bordeaux) I think the no shorts thing, like the jeans thing was a rule 15 to 20 years ago, as we've become more global, fashion seems to become more universal.. of course this may not have reached more rural places but most coastal towns tend to be more modern.

As for the no Adult european women wearing shorts... come to wear I live & see the tourists from Italy, France & Spain, they somehow all pull shorts out from somewhere lol.

For myself it's important to look put together, fashionable, but not trendy, & also, not to be limited by what I'm wearing ie: unable to enter a church or mosque due to my outfit.

I'm not really sure how one gets the idea that 3" or 4" more fabric on one's lower leg is going to make one drastically hotter? :confused:

Studies have actually shown that covering the skin, when out in direct sunlight, keeps one cooler as the skin is not exposed.

Besides, I'd think fabric itself would make more of a difference. A cute pair of lightweight navy and white seersucker ankle pants, for example, topped with a fitted navy tee would certainly be cooler than, let's say, heavy twill or denim-weight full crops.

(...and bravo to those who don't choose to follow fashion, but I would just suggest that as this is the cruise FASHION board, fashion is what is discussed. :rolleyes:)

Actually I do find those 3 or 4 inches make me uncomfortably hot...you’ll basically never see me in pants all summer. I’m way more likely to wear a skirt. I tried on a pair of seersucker pants like those you described and did very much like them...I only have one pair of crops...very light ones! But this is all rather mute as I rarely travel in hot weather. Spending 17 days in Italy and Malta in April, 10 days in eastern France in June...

I do enjoy these fashion discussions!

I often wear ladies cut t-shirts (like Old Navy's Perfect Tee) with skirts, but not a uni-sex t-shirt like I might get from a 5K run. I would think a bold color or jewel tone would work with your skirt.

The quote looks like Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

Edit: I quoted from NIV, but it looks like the picture version has "acknowledge him in all your ways" instead of "in all your ways submit to him."

Thanks for the suggestion. Love the verse.

Well, I guess like the definition of book, we can have different definitions of fashion. :*

Further to the photos above, I would call the shorter ones crops (not attractive), and the threesome long pants (attractive).

Now here's another terminology question.

What I have always called yoga pants are stretchy, snug but not skintight, with a slight flare (bootcut) at the bottom. They are what we've worn for yoga and fitness classes for years. Now I see the term yoga pants, but with a picture of what I would call tights (snugly fitted to the ankle). If those are yoga "pants", what does one now call the flared ones?

You will be well dressed in crop/ankle length pants. Bring along your navy pair. How about a cream t-shirt to go with the skirt? Yes, a nice quality t is versatile and nice enough!

Well played! :')

Thanks. ;) I appreciate your postings even when I disagree with you.

Meanwhile, I am going to have a look at the Talbots website today; everything's 25% off with free shipping, and they have several styles of ankle pants.

Now here's another terminology question.

What I have always called yoga pants are stretchy, snug but not skintight, with a slight flare (bootcut) at the bottom. They are what we've worn for yoga and fitness classes for years. Now I see the term yoga pants, but with a picture of what I would call tights (snugly fitted to the ankle). If those are yoga "pants", what does one now call the flared ones?

What you’re describing sounds more like a lounge pant to me, although any pants you like to wear for yoga are yoga pants. The legging/tight style is pretty much the norm I see for classes and street wear. And, incidentally, the one thing I very much avoid in Europe unless I am at the airport!

I actually quite like the wider leg and culotte-style crops, but they do require careful styling and need to hit at just the right spot on your calf.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Regarding dressing for the different countries, I have found

googling (Street Style ) and checking on Pinterest gives you pretty

up to date looks. They show photos of real people and what they

wear out and around.

A lot is younger women but not all. That way you get a real time look at what is trending in the country you are going to.

I also enjoy seeing how people put 12 pieces of clothing into a

wardrobe for a month, and get in all in a carry on.

I do try and dress similar to the locals as much as possible.

One thing I won't give up is my security backpack. They say don't

carry a back pack, however I have seen first hand from living in

Europe, many people loose things to pickpockets.

They are so smooth and tricky. One friend had a check stolen out

of her zipped purse on a elevator. Didn't take the check book, just

a check from the middle.

I will carry a cross body bag, smaller size out to dinner. It has to have a chain so it Can't be cut.

A shame that things are like that. You really Can't be too careful!

Tropicqueen

Regarding dressing for the different countries, I have found

googling (Street Style ) and checking on Pinterest gives you pretty

up to date looks. They show photos of real people and what they

wear out and around.

A lot is younger women but not all. That way you get a real time look at what is trending in the country you are going to.

I also enjoy seeing how people put 12 pieces of clothing into a

wardrobe for a month, and get in all in a carry on.

I do try and dress similar to the locals as much as possible.

One thing I won't give up is my security backpack. They say don't

carry a back pack, however I have seen first hand from living in

Europe, many people loose things to pickpockets.

They are so smooth and tricky. One friend had a check stolen out

of her zipped purse on a elevator. Didn't take the check book, just

a check from the middle.

I will carry a cross body bag, smaller size out to dinner. It has to have a chain so it Can't be cut.

A shame that things are like that. You really Can't be too careful!

Tropicqueen

I agree on the pinterest, also the Sartorialist is a great blog for street style. Also, I literally did not know that they still made check books :')