Best Smoked Meat in Montreal?

baggal

^+1. Decor is kinda crappy, service is kinda surly, tables are shared and cramped - but despite all the shortcomings the queue is enormous and not just full of tourists. I don't know anyone from Montreal who does NOT recommend Schwartz's for a sammich. Bagels OTOH have two camps, vehemently opposed to each other - St Viateur and Fairmount. Close enough together that you could sample from both and decide for yourself, but both better than anywhere else in the world...

^+1. Decor is kinda crappy, service is kinda surly, tables are shared and cramped - but despite all the shortcomings the queue is enormous and not just full of tourists. I don't know anyone from Montreal who does NOT recommend Schwartz's for a sammich. Bagels OTOH have two camps, vehemently opposed to each other - St Viateur and Fairmount. Close enough together that you could sample from both and decide for yourself, but both better than anywhere else in the world...

Thanks for the info. I already know that Montreal bagels are a different breed than the ones we're used to - I'm from Brooklyn and my husband is from the Bronx and we already know what we like as far as bagels go. I don't think I can convince him to try a Montreal bagel. Smoked meat yes, bagels probably not. LOL!

Just came back from dinner at Schwartz's. Got to the restaurant at 7:15 pm and there was no wait! (Beginning of a holiday weekend?) We shared a table with a French speaking family and our nice young waiter switched back and forth from fluent English to French with ease.

We both had sandwiches which were melt in your mouth delicious. Loved it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad you like La Belle Province. Normally, I would not have rewritten the name but people might end up in a cosmetics store if they try to find it with Provence (famous for lavender). Not being mean, just trying to be helpful...

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

• 3 months later...

I was showing a friend around Montréal last month and he wanted to try Reuben's Delicatessen. I had never been there. Glad we tried. Both of us enjoyed the food and service.

Our smoked meat sandwiches with pickle were very nice. Generous portion of moist meat. You can ask for lean or medium (with a bit of fat). We went back for cheese cake which was good also. Here is the Trip Advisor link with other reviews and the address of the place (downtown):

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d708361-Reviews-Reuben_s-Montreal_Quebec.html

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
I was showing a friend around Montréal last month and he wanted to try Reuben's Delicatessen. I had never been there. Glad we tried. Both of us enjoyed the food and service.

Our smoked meat sandwiches with pickle were very nice. Generous portion of moist meat. You can ask for lean or medium (with a bit of fat). We went back for cheese cake which was good also. Here is the Trip Advisor link with other reviews and the address of the place (downtown):

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d708361-Reviews-Reuben_s-Montreal_Quebec.html

Updating my own post about Reuben's Delicatessen at 888 Sainte-Catherine W. (2 locations with a similar name). Since I had seen so-so reviews this year, I went to check it out again before bringing an out-of-town friend there. Well, the service was nice but my smoked meat sandwich came lukewarm and the fries were too dry. So, for those who want to try a smoked meat restaurant downtown, I suggest Dunn's Famous on Metcalfe Street. The service could be better but the smoked meat was good and hot and I thought the home-made fries were better. On the other hand, I didn't try the deserts there. Here are the Trip Advisor reviews for that restaurant:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d781121-Reviews-Dunn_s_Famous-Montreal_Quebec.html

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

I’m not a native Montrealer, but I did live there on two occasions for several years, and I now live a short drive away and visit often. That said, I am not a great fan of Schwartz’s and think there are better places for smoked meat, both of which have been already mentioned. In the Plateau,I prefer The Main across the street from Schwartz’s and downtown, Dunn’s on Ste. Catherine. There are other good places but for the casual visitor these two should please. (BTW my favourite was Ben’s, now sadly closed).

The OP and her husband have now visited and I would be interested in where they ended up eating. I do hope they tried a Montreal bagel as I think they are far superior to the New York variety.

I’m not a native Montrealer, but I did live there on two occasions for several years, and I now live a short drive away and visit often. That said, I am not a great fan of Schwartz’s and think there are better places for smoked meat, both of which have been already mentioned. In the Plateau,I prefer The Main across the street from Schwartz’s and downtown, Dunn’s on Ste. Catherine. There are other good places but for the casual visitor these two should please. (BTW my favourite was Ben’s, now sadly closed).

The OP and her husband have now visited and I would be interested in where they ended up eating. I do hope they tried a Montreal bagel as I think they are far superior to the New York variety.

I’m a native of Montreal and agree The Main is far superior to Schwartz. Another good place is Lester’s on Bernard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums