Celebrity Cruise - clothes question

I has been a lot of years since I have posted on this board, we have done Royal and NCL, but never Celebrity.

My understanding is that they have become less formal than in the past. Trying to get a handle on what to pack (even though it is more than a year away)

DH - Would it be ok if he didn't take his suit? ... just wore a collared shirt with tie? He has some nice Hawaiian shirts from our last cruise ... would those be appropriate?

I am planning on wearing black slacks (have a pair that fit perfectly and look good) ... I can dress them up or down. I also have capri's and some sundresses. On chic night would a sparkly top and black slacks be ok. I have a nice long black dress with some beading at the waist (it is not overly elegant - but looks nice).

I am looking forward to this new adventure - my brother and his wife and my oldest sister will be coming with us.

Now I just need to look at different dinner opportunities (we will be on Celebrity Edge - so there are no sailings to go by yet).

Thanks, Jan

Jan, you’d be fine in what you describe. My DH still wears a suit or sport coat on Elegant Chic night, otherwise he’s in an Aloha shirt/polo shirt & khakis. I wear silk slacks & sparkly tops

Sent from my iPad using Forums

this is our first X cruise coming up with the new(er) Elegant Chic night. It's also an 11 nighter so we will be packing more than usual. I will be packing a combination of dressy capri jeans (white/black/1 fun colour) for most nights with a dressier top and fun shoes and jewellery. For chic night, I will take some black (lightweight) dresses - loose, flowy styles to pair with a fun sandal. DH will be taking black pants/black shirt for chic nights and will wear dressy slacks with nice evening shirts for the rest, maybe a few dressy golf shirts.

His suits are too heavy for luggage restrictions. I will miss seeing him dressed up on formal nights. He no longer wears suits to work ... so the next time I see him in a suit will be someone's wedding or funeral :)

I don't agree with the PP who said ties are for used car salesmen. If you DH feels more dressy with a tie but no jacket, it's whatever works for him.

My DH has gained some weight and many of his dress shirts are too tight in the collar, so he much prefers to leave his top button open and go no tie, even with a suit.

Hi Jan:) good to see you. I was a long time Celebrity cruise although I have not sailed with them in 2 years. My next one with them is in January on their newest ship but as for dress code, From memory, it has definitely been relaxed. Your black slacks and nice tops would be exactly what I would wear. I have changed my attire and am really not a "dress wearer". A long skirt and top possibly but normally it is pants, whether they are dressed up or casual. I do try and look put together for evenings but no long dresses/formal items any more.

I sail solo so no concerns for me on what another (mate, hubby, etc) is wearing but in my opinion, he does not need to bring a suit. Celebrity has what they call "chic nights".......if he wears a nice collared shirt and pants, well to me, that is fine. They no longer have formal nights.

You have cruised over the years.........some folks still enjoy dressing up and good for them. Go for it. Others enjoy a more relaxed attire. If you read the forum, it is basically, "the more things change the more they stay the same".

Which Edge cruise are you sailing?

Hi Lois! Hope you are feeling healthy and well! We will be on the April 14, 2019 sailing on the Edge --- I believe my brother & SIL will be going with us (it will be their first cruise). We are now diamond on Royal so will be Elite on Celebrity ... I so remember when we were both waiting for our 1st cruise .... how time has flown and how exciting being on a cruise remains!

Thank you to all who have commented on the dress code for Celebrity ... I now feel comfortable about my choices and as much as I love seeing my DH in a tux I believe he will be very happy with a collared shirt and slacks. (with or without a tie:D)

To all again thanks for the information ... can't wait for this newest adventure. Jan

Hi Jan, for yourself, what you're planning sounds like it will fit in perfectly. Regarding your husband, for the "chic" nights over the last few years, my DH has just worn a casual blazer over either a black tee shirt or black sports shirt.

Keep in mind that mysterious "long sleeved shirts" signs have been appearing on the ships & the daily bulletins. They were on our last trip, luckily DH either wears a long sleeved button ups or the blazer at night, so he was fine. I have no idea if it's a new fleet wide policy or not, but posters on other ships have reported the same thing. I just wanted to give you a heads up about this in case it's an issue on your sailing. Have a great trip :)

I can see long sleeved button down shirts for Elegant Chic night, but not for other nights. My DH brings long sleeves to wear under a jacket, but other nights are polo shirts or Aloha style shirts

I can see long sleeved button down shirts for Elegant Chic night, but not for other nights. My DH brings long sleeves to wear under a jacket, but other nights are polo shirts or Aloha style shirts

Thanks, I appreciate the information ... I think I might end up getting my DH a sports coat to go with a collared shirt and some dockers ... We just got back from Hawaii and he has picked up some Hawaii shirts for the other nights. Jan

Queen of Oakville, have him wear a sport coat on the plane, best of both worlds...

That's what my husband does. He no longer takes his tux or a suit but he wears a sports coat on the plane and wears it for formal nights--that way it doesn't take up packing space and if he doesn't want it on he can either put it in the overhead or often the steward will hang it for him.

Other wise, a shirt, with or without a tie and nice slacks is fine. My husband probably wouldn't wear a Hawaiian shirt on formal nights, though he sometimes does on other nights.

I usually wear nice black slacks and a variety of sparkly tops, or a skirt with same; sometimes I take a cocktail dress for formal nights. I like to dress up a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband has cracked the jacket and Hawaiian shirt code. On chic nights he wears khakis and a Tommy Bahama short sleeve, button down color on color patterned shirt and a navy sport coat. They are just one color shirts with the leafy pattern woven into the fabric. No tie necessary. He tends to bring his British tan color boat shoes for evenings also. During the day his arches require a bit more substance so he gets through most cruises on 2 pairs. And yes, black slacks and a dressier top with real jewelry is what I wear on Celebrity or have for the last few years. I remember when we did our first Galaxy cruise of 11 days and had 3 formal, 2 informal and 6 casual nights. Informal almost sent me around the bend.