What's within walking distance of Sheraton Hotel and Marina, San Diego?

We're at the stage of life whereby it's easiest to use HAL flights and hotels and in San Diego it appears to be the Sheraton Hotel and Marina.

From my search of the immediate area there doesn't seem to be much within EASY walking distance by way of drug stores or restaurants. Is my reading correct?

We'd like to go two or three days pre cruise and perhaps 'do' a museum or two as well.

We'd appreciated advice from someone with experience in the area. It will be a 30 day round trip to Lima cruise so it would be convenient to pick up 'stuff' locally.

Thanks,

Ruth

Basically, nothing...

It's on an island, literally...actually, a spit of land in the harbor that runs along the side of the airport...

There are a few other hotels, a couple of overpriced restaurants and a lot of private boat slips...

I definitely would not stay there if visiting San Diego for three days...

Look for something in the Gaslamp Quarter if you can...between Downtown and Petco Park (the Padres' baseball stadium)...that would be your most walkable area with the most restaurants and convenient to public transportation...

Basically, nothing...

That's exactly what I feared but was hoping for a miracle response.

We just stayed for four precruise days in Long Beach with Princess and quite enjoyed it though didn't get to the Huntington Library as the public transportation was long and complicated for us now, and a taxi TOO expensive.

You're probably right about this San Diego hotel choice.

Thanks expert,

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

So I guess the HAL package is really not the best idea? We only use cruise line hotel/transfer packages if the area is totally unfriendly or the circumstances are extreme. For example, our flight (we booked, not through cruise line) arriving in Lima Peru at 10:30pm. Nice to have a ride waiting for us, and hotel taken care of.

Bruin Steve's comments are dead on for the desired area to be in San Diego.

We have stayed at the Hilton just up the street and "yes" there is nothing out on the island except a couple of decent places to eat. Good news is it's close to a bunch of stuff. I would UBER or Taxi to get whatever you want. It's less than five minutes to several places to get wine or sundries. As for museums a must do is the USS Midway and Air & Space at Balboa Park. If you want a fun way to spend a few hours do the "Brothels, Bites, and Booze" walking tour of the Gas Lamp. Google for it and it will come up. We have been visiting SD for +40 years and just did it a few years ago. It was outstanding. There are a couple of bay cruises that are fun so look at Hornblower and pick one that might work for you. You can also take the commuter ferry out to Coronado Island and walk around.

There is much to keep you busy for several days that is close, but nothing within walking distance from that hotel.

Thank you James for very practical and manageable suggestions.

Time is on our hands for planning as the cruise is next winter so I'm maintaining a cut and paste file of recommendations.

Ruth

No problem, keep in touch when time gets closer for more suggestions. San Diego is our favorite city to visit.

Harbor Island (really an artificial peninsula in San Diego Bay) is close to the airport, and has some nice views of the Bay, but not much else to recommend it. Two Cohn Family restaurants (Costerra and Island Prime) are good for lunch or dinner, but are not inexpensive, and about a mile from your hotel.

If you can't get out of this, you might want to consider renting a car to see some of the sights such as the Zoo, USS Midway, Coronado Island, Zoo Safari Park, and the beach areas. The closest place to shop for groceries from Harbor Island is the shops at Liberty Station (west of the airport), which you could get to in a rental car easily (free parking) and where there are many good restaurants, shops, and galleries. There is a Trader Joe's and a Von's supermarket there. Little Italy is about the same distance in the other direction (east of the airport) and has lots of good places to eat, shops, etc. but can be a challenge for parking. They do not have a supermarket though.

Parking at the Zoo is free, but it is $10 at both the USS Midway and at the Zoo's Safari Park. Free parking in Balboa Park, but it can be a challenge to find it, esp. on a weekend. If you don't want to rent a car, we have both Uber and Lyft here in San Diego. Our public transportation system (buses, Trolley, etc.) is not very good. I use the Trolley a lot to go downtown because parking there is very expensive, but it doesn't go to most of the tourist spots except the Gaslamp Quarter and Old Town. Parking in Old Town is free, but can be difficult to find.

If you can't get out of this, you might want to consider renting a car to see some of the sights such as the Zoo, USS Midway, Coronado Island, Zoo Safari Park, and the beach areas. .

Fortunately we're LONG range over planners and have not committed to this hotel. It's the one HAL uses and we're at the stage of life where the easiest option works best for us.

And we don't rent cars any more.

But thanks to all the great advice we've rec'd to date, we realize we'd be better off booking our own hotel.

We like to go at least two days early both to adjust to the 3 hour time difference and enjoy some bonus warm days of sunshine.

Thank you Splinter for such detailed advice,

Ruth

Then book a different hotel. I am Hilton brand loyal so usually 1st pick is the Hilton Gas Lamp, Hilton Bay, and Embassy Suites. ES is right across from USS Midway, Hornblower Bay cruises, and Seaport Village. Very little walking. However, it's just another ES. However, full cocktails in PM and full cook to order breakfast is a plus. We really like the Hilton Gas Lamp. We have also done the Andaz, which has a great roof top deck/bar. There's a Ralph's grocery not to far from ES, Gas Lamp, and Andaz. However, if you're carrying stuff I would walk to and UBER back.

There use to be a small grocery store on the first floor of the Horton Plaza Mall that delivered groceries. You could go in buy what you wanted and have it delivered. Depending on what you need to purchase there are a bunch of little markets all over the area for wine, beer, etc.

The hotel would be ok if you were just spending the night and did not need to purchase incidentals.

I have stayed there on business and it is a nice hotel. The restaurants are expensive. The location sucks. When you are attending business meetings it is OK. It is not a hotel I would choose for vacation.

Hampton Inn, Wyndham and Best Western Bayside Inn are close to the pier.

There is a Rite Aid at the corner of Ash and Ketter that is close to the Hampton Inn.

Basically, nothing...

It's on an island, literally...actually, a spit of land in the harbor that runs along the side of the airport...

There are a few other hotels, a couple of overpriced restaurants and a lot of private boat slips...

I definitely would not stay there if visiting San Diego for three days...

Look for something in the Gaslamp Quarter if you can...between Downtown and Petco Park (the Padres' baseball stadium)...that would be your most walkable area with the most restaurants and convenient to public transportation...

Try the Omni. Great hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the basis of all the expert, specific and generous suggestions I feel ready to offer advice, albeit it secondhand, to others.

Any drug store would meet our need for shopping, so the HAL Sheridan is no longer an option for us as we do plan to go for a few days before the cruise.

Thank you one and all. I now have a full page of cut and paste advice,

Ruth

I think you made a wise decision. San Diego is a great place to vacation and it would be a shame to get stuck out there. If you don't go with the hotels suggested then anything along PCH or Harbor from about Ash to the Convention Center should work. There are large grocery stores, corner markets, and small stores on every corner so you should not have an issue getting stuff you need. Personally we love staying in the Gas Lamp. Had some great meals at Tin Fish, lunch mostly, and Lou & Mickey's outstanding dinner. Strongly suggest doing the walking tour. Seaport Village is fun to walk and window shop. Food is expensive and nothing to write home about. However, we do enjoy the appetizer sampler at Buster's Beach House with a few cocktails; lots of food.

• 1 month later...
The hotel would be ok if you were just spending the night and did not need to purchase incidentals.

I have stayed there on business and it is a nice hotel. The restaurants are expensive. The location sucks. When you are attending business meetings it is OK. It is not a hotel I would choose for vacation.

Hampton Inn, Wyndham and Best Western Bayside Inn are close to the pier.

There is a Rite Aid at the corner of Ash and Ketter that is close to the Hampton Inn.

How is the Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel? Any information,please?

How is the Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel? Any information,please?

That's a nice hotel but will push you further away from downtown San Diego. That is in an area called Point Loma and while it's a nice location, nothing is in walking distance. At least nothing that anyone recommended above.

San Diego native and still living here so yes that hotel is nice and it's close to the harbor. Some good restaraunts nearby (Mitch's, Point Loma Seafood and Jimmys Famous American Tavern) but any good shopping is going to bit about a 3\4 mile away at Liberty Station. There are some nice shops but nothing too great. There is a grocery store there and lots of dining but you will probably be disappointed in the offerings.

There is a new Hilton Garden in downtown that is nice. As well as the Hampton Inn someone mentioned above.

But while someone stated that the Sheraton is far from everything...I would say it's not. My wife and I routinely walk our dogs from the the downtown area (Seaport village, Broadway Pier, Little Italy) to Shelter Island all the time.

It's a nice walk and the sidewalk is well maintained and very wide. I would say from that Sheraton, Seaport Village is about a 25 minute walk.

ETA: a big thing here right now are the bike sharing companies. You can, at any given time, find bikes just scattered throughout the city and downtown area. You simply scan the QR code with your phone and I think 3 hours is about $30 bucks. Best thing is, when you are done, you literally leave the bike wherever. They have GPS devices in them so someone comes and redistributes them every night. I am sure your hotel could show you where to get one, if they are not already out in front of the hotel.

Walkable? For some people...

For example, from the Sheraton to Horton Plaza, it’s 3.5 miles each way...Only slightly shorter to Seaport Village, slightly longer into the Gaslamp...

I don’t think most people will walk a 7 mile loop...”Close” is relative...

Also, if you do stay on or near the harbor, there is a $3 per person (unlimited on\offs) shuttle that runs all up and down the waterfront. The stops are clearly marked and is super easy to get around. The Sheraton is a stop.

It runs from Memorial day through Labor day...

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/transportation/waterfront-shuttle.aspx