Which airport is the least worst to fly out of? (like that grammar?!)

Despite LAX getting a bad rap, I find it is one of the EASIEST airports on the face of the planet to drive into/out of. Especially when one considers that it IS the 5th busiest airport in the world and the 2nd busiest airport in the US. Now the traffic outside of the airport, that's another story! Compared to other airports, it may seem like it is crude and outdated but it does an EXCELLENT job at moving the crowds, quite efficiently, actually. The U-pattern layout of the terminals makes it a breeze to make your way from one terminal to another, walking or driving.

Good job, LAX !!!

Way to go, LAX !!!

That is assuming that you can figure out the signage. We just transferred from one terminal to another at LAX. Worse signage in the universe.

DON

The traffic to LGA and JFk varies between bad and worse and worse than that. I have been in traffic jams on the Belt Parkway to JFK at 4 in the morning. LGA with the current construction is even worse than usual. I try to use EWR when ever I can. The pre-screen is always a help. Sometimes when I travel with my family, I stay with them and don't get to use the pre-screen but they let me through without having to take my shoes off. A little favor for spending much too much time at airports.

I know that LGA(LaGuardia) and Newark(EWR) are not the most fun airports, but will be flying home from a cruise that docks and disembarks in NYC (well, probably Brooklyn?). Can book flights home from either airport. Is one "better" than the other as far as getting there by taxi or whatever form I use, getting to gate without getting completely lost, etc. Thanks for your input.

Pooh

It's been MANY years since we used Newark, but was not a big fan and it is over bridges and further away. LGA is 13 miles away and will be your best bet!

Is JFK not an option? I'd pick that over LaGuardia.

JFK IS an option...it's 21 miles from the Brooklyn cruise terminal, so cab fare will be more, but we have used JFK because we got a better connection to our final destination.

To go back to your originally posted question, LGA would definitely be better than Newark. The cost of getting to Newark (assuming you are docking in Brooklyn) would be much much greater. Kennedy is about equal to LGA as far as distance (from Brooklyn), but I can appreciate your wishing to fly SW. Unless you can find a fare or a time you like better from Kennedy, I would stick with LGA.

LGA is 13 miles from port and JFK is 21 miles...not a huge difference milage wise, but cab fare wise, JFK will be more expensive.

https://www.amny.com/transit/laguardia-airport-construction-explained-renovation-plans-timeline-funding-and-more-1.12268455

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/laguardia-airport-is-getting-a-makeover-what-to-expect

To answer another post for completion date for LAG renovation, YEARS! Read the above articles to get an idea of what is planned. I've heard over 10 years.

It's been under construction for 20 years at least! LOL!

After reading all these posts, I would first see what airport gives you the best flight/connection possibilities and then if it turns out to be Newark, use the ship transfers. Less stressful and it should be much cheaper!

Personally I despise JFK airport. I flown thru it twice going to or from a Med cruise. The first time, I thought it was just a fluke. The 2nd time was just as awful, and I knew I never wanted to be there again, and certainly don't plan to.

It's an absolute zoo, simply swarming with people, endless lines, and a general feeling of chaos.

I feel about the same way about Dulles in DC. What a pit!!

I thought LAX was a similarly awful experience!

I would never fly out of Newark again. When changing planes we had to go back thru security as the new terminal was outside the secure zone. Many people missed follow on flights due to the long lines. Worst airport we have ever been in.

jfk was beyond awful. returning from rome with stop at jfk and change terminals with security again for my domestic flight. i had 3 hrs between flights and got to my next flight as it was almost finished boarding.

That is assuming that you can figure out the signage. We just transferred from one terminal to another at LAX. Worse signage in the universe.

DON

Only a blind person would not see the numerous HUGE Terminal Signs/Numbers posted all along the circular road around the terminals in BOLD English and Numericals!!!!

Worst signage in the universe you say? What planet are you from?

Perhaps it's time to go see the Optometrist!

Not to mention that it IS a breeze to walk from Terminal 1 at one end of loop to Terminal 7 at the far end of the loop in under 15 minutes! Try to do that at ANY other major airport!

Again, keep in mind it's the USA's 2nd busiest airport and 5th busiest airport in the world.

Any thoughts on the airport at Dubai? I'll be stopping there in the fall for a 12 hour layover on the way to Jordan.

Dubai International Airport (DXB) is a destination in itself !!!

I would look at MacArthur airport. Southwest flies out of there. About 50 miles from Brooklyn, BUT SO WORTH IT to avoid NYC area airports.

MacArthur is small, easy, and nice. If you can get a late enough flight, or if you can fly home the next day, this is what I would do.

To get there I would rent a car for the day, whether staying over night or not. Hotels near MacArthur are reasonably priced.

I would look at MacArthur airport. Southwest flies out of there. About 50 miles from Brooklyn' date=' BUT SO WORTH IT to avoid NYC area airports.

MacArthur is small, easy, and nice. If you can get a late enough flight, or if you can fly home the next day, this is what I would do.

To get there I would rent a car for the day, whether staying over night or not. Hotels near MacArthur are reasonably priced.[/quote']

Totally disagree on this. NY area airports are not that bad. Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP's home airport is likely DEN served by Southwest, but, not logical to bother with a one-way car rental, most likely a steep dropoff fee (as much as car service/taxi fares to LGA alone) on top of rental/surcharges & taxes & gas refilling, to do make it easy. Not to mention, based on a quick Kayak flight lookup, it's largely a 2 stops connection to get home, with luck - 7 to 8 hours. Non-stop LGA-DEN is 3.5 hours scheduled.

I just drove by LGA 2 days ago coming back from Lower Manhattan (used to commute daily for this ... whew) - airport re-construction in full swing but not bad, the bottleneck heading eastbound from the "city" are basically once you exit the parkway & onto the airport's interior network of roadways, which they are relocating to move the expanded new terminals. The congestion is largely on the westbound side, coming from Long Island (and, JFK for anyone foolish enough to transfer on the ground between these 2 airports, probably with an oversea flights) as there are lane closure and blockage, starting at the "marina" for those familiar with the area ... near CitiField.

Waze was good, alerted & warn to not drive in that direction as I headed into town in the morning ... real time Map/Navigation on Google w. GPS assist, most definitely the way to go and use for "intel" even for anyone being driven in a car service or taking a taxi ride, just to "know" what's ahead & expect.

On a worst weekday commute, Red Hook pier in Brooklyn to LGA, if thru the waterfront shortcut (most car service/taxi drivers know this ... Uber/Lyft, maybe not) via Kent Ave if necessary, can be done in about a hour to 90 minutes, unless it's a massive closure everywhere on top of foul weather. EWR, on a worst day, has longer distance/mileage to cover and could easily take 90 minutes to 2 hours + ... and, more expensive plus tolls ... 2 bridge and/or tunnel crossings to do; that, I don't like & won't recommend.

Driving out to LI isn't necessary easy, let alone fun, for out-of-town strangers unfamiliar with NY traffic flow ... just ask that bus driver that smashed into the parkway overpass that was 5' too high for his bus loaded with high schooler coming home from JFK. Southern State Parkway was shut down for a good many, many hours by NYSP for A.I. Talk about avoiding ...