New York Inside tips

josephml1

Heck what type of bar?

Irish, Sport, College, Nightclub, Cop, Cigar, Wine, Dive, Gentlemans?

There are bars in NYC? Shocking?

(Sorry OP. Tell us a little more about what you're looking for and we'll help.)

[emoji3][emoji39]

I am Traveling with my DW without children for The first time in about five years.

Night life or a relax lounge for good drinks maybe some finger food.

In manhanttan open to suggestions.

About The area.

We will be staying at westin jersey City will

Have a car and we can commute, by uber, car, Subway Etc.

In relations of kind of bars.

Relaxed bars to enjoy with my wife, not heavy ones [emoji6]

Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also some sugestions about The lounge In The Michelin restaurant will be great.

Thank you all.

https://www.le-bernardin.com/menus/lounge/lounge-menu

I think you can order off the full menu as well, but that's $157/person. One of the best by the glass wine lists our there, and the 51st Street Manhattan is one of my favorites. It would take some planning as no sneakers, no shorts, not sure about jeans. Jackets not required in the lounge. I assume most of the other 2-3 stars in Manhattan have something similar. I've never eaten in their lounge, but I've seen people eating there while waiting on our table.

There's something like Keens, close to Penn Station. Their bar area can be pretty busy, though. I used to love one of the bars at the Waldorf-Astoria, but it's no more.

That's kind of the example of the extremes in Manhattan.

Some great NY bar experiences.

- Sardi's upstairs bar, 44th St btw Broadway & 8th. Just turn right at the door and head up the steps. A classic. Covered with caricatures and Broadway buzz. Best the hour before curtain and the hour after it falls. If you're seeing a show, you MUST stop here before or after (I'd pair it with dinner at Joe Allen on 46th with their famous "flop wall") My favorite place for Negronis.

- The Rainbow room bar. The top of the beautiful deco Rockefeller Center. Pricey (no jeans) but worth it.

- The Campbell Apartment - hidden in the beautiful Grand Central Terminal. Also pricey (may need reservations)

Some great NY bar experiences.

- Sardi's upstairs bar, 44th St btw Broadway & 8th. Just turn right at the door and head up the steps. A classic. Covered with caricatures and Broadway buzz. Best the hour before curtain and the hour after it falls. If you're seeing a show, you MUST stop here before or after (I'd pair it with dinner at Joe Allen on 46th with their famous "flop wall") My favorite place for Negronis.

- The Rainbow room bar. The top of the beautiful deco Rockefeller Center. Pricey (no jeans) but worth it.

- The Campbell Apartment - hidden in the beautiful Grand Central Terminal. Also pricey (may need reservations)

Don,t tell mama is a bar with live music across the street from joe Allen’s, Might run into some interesting people at joe Allen, saw Joan rivers there a couple of months before she passed also last year Allison Janney was there, she won acdemdy award this year for supporting actress. Agree on Sardis very interesting, my favorite bar is Gallagher’s which is almost 100 years old and was a speak easy in the 20’s , they pour a really good drink there

Sardi's hint - A couple of years ago, when "The Humans" was next door, Joe Mantello started a Thursday night post-theatre hangout upstairs at Sardi's starting around 9:00 or so (Thurs curtains are usually 7PM) In 2016, I spotted Joe Mantello, 3 of 4 leads of The Humans, Carol Kane, and the lead of School of Rock, Alex Brightman. Last year, they sectioned off the far end of the bar, but they came to the bar and interacted (not to me - I had no reason to interrupt any of them). I also spotted Andy Cohen and Laurie Metcalf.

Although you don't need a reservation for the bar at Joe Allen, they open up reservations for the restaurant 7 days beforehand. If you know the show you're seeing, they can schedule around it. (I love their lobster rolls, burgers, and liver & onions) By the way, they're famous for the posters from notorious fops on their walls.

...and Don't Tell Mama can be fun!

- Mark

[emoji3][emoji39]

I am Traveling with my DW without children for The first time in about five years.

Night life or a relax lounge for good drinks maybe some finger food.

In manhanttan open to suggestions.

About The area.

We will be staying at westin jersey City will

Have a car and we can commute, by uber, car, Subway Etc.

In relations of kind of bars.

Relaxed bars to enjoy with my wife, not heavy ones [emoji6]

Thank you all.

You don't want a car in NYC. Parking is expensive and can take a long time to get in or out of a lot.

You don't want a car in NYC. Parking is expensive and can take a long time to get in or out of a lot.

Ditto to that. We did the car thing in NY City twice from the Westin area only because we had late night events and 5 people including a 6 mo old infant plus we used to live in the area and our destinations were not public transit friendly. There's also a $15 tunnel toll. It was expensive, but overall we saved a ton by being able to get just one oversized room at the Courtyard. You don't have these considerations.

Yes, and I think it's a quick, direct train from the hotel area to the WTC (and extensive subway from there)

- Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite place to dine, while watching cruise ship sailaway's from the Manhattan Cruise Ship Terminal, is this place, across the river in Weehawkin, NJ, part of a chain, with decent food, and a fabulous view, especially at sunset, where the golden sun reflects off the skyscrapers is gradually replaced by a darkening sky, and the sparkling lights of the city, coming alive...highly recommended!

It's great any nice day, but I always do it when I know a cruise ship or two will be sailing. When you make a reservation, request a window table for the best view.

http://www.chart-house.com/locations/weehawken/

It's also the home for the Port NY web cam... http://www.portnywebcam.com