Considering Brooklyn

We will be flying in to LaGuardia early in the morning, on a Monday. The cruise leaves from Brooklyn. Last trip, we stayed at the Midtown Hilton, spent time at the MOMA and loved it.

Right now, we have reserved the Brooklyn Hilton, but are debating whether we should cancel and reserve something in Manhattan. We will be using a car service/taxi as Mr. Blue uses a wheelchair for distances and I am not comfortable with the subway. If we stay in Brooklyn, what would you recommend we do with our day in Brooklyn (late September)? Or should we consider a mid-town hotel again? It's just one day.

Also---thoughts on flying in to JFK or La Guardia if staying in Brooklyn? Both options are available to us.

We will be flying in to LaGuardia early in the morning, on a Monday. The cruise leaves from Brooklyn. Last trip, we stayed at the Midtown Hilton, spent time at the MOMA and loved it.

Right now, we have reserved the Brooklyn Hilton, but are debating whether we should cancel and reserve something in Manhattan. We will be using a car service/taxi as Mr. Blue uses a wheelchair for distances and I am not comfortable with the subway. If we stay in Brooklyn, what would you recommend we do with our day in Brooklyn (late September)? Or should we consider a mid-town hotel again? It's just one day.

Also---thoughts on flying in to JFK or La Guardia if staying in Brooklyn? Both options are available to us.

Is this for Sep 24? What would you pay for the Brooklyn Hilton? Do you require a handicapped room?

It looks like the Brooklyn Hilton and the Midtown Hilton are priced similarly for Sep 24. If you enjoyed MOMA why not revisit and stay in midtown? Or pick another attraction that appeals and book a nearby hotel so that your husband can get to the attraction easily. I just don't think you're going to find much that appeals in downtown Brooklyn to be worth the cost of the hotel.

We do not require a handicapped room, and will definitely stay at a Hilton property because that's where all our points accumulate!

As much as we love the MOMA, we don't want to repeat that this year (it was just last fall we were there). We've never been to Brooklyn; all other trips to NYC have been limited to Manhattan. So we were thinking it would be nice to try something different?

From what I can determine on Trip Advisor, it sounds like the Brooklyn Hilton is in a walkable area, shops nearby?

If we were to change locations, we would probably want to stay somewhere near the Met or Guggenheim?

We do not require a handicapped room, and will definitely stay at a Hilton property because that's where all our points accumulate!

As much as we love the MOMA, we don't want to repeat that this year (it was just last fall we were there). We've never been to Brooklyn; all other trips to NYC have been limited to Manhattan. So we were thinking it would be nice to try something different?

From what I can determine on Trip Advisor, it sounds like the Brooklyn Hilton is in a walkable area, shops nearby?

If we were to change locations, we would probably want to stay somewhere near the Met or Guggenheim?

Yes, it is a very walkable area with shops nearby. I would not head to the downtown area but go in the opposite direction towards Court Street where there are many shops & restaurants. There are many more on Montague Street as well. It is very near Brooklkyn Borough Hall & courthouses and several blocks from the Promenade which is a pedestrian walkway on the waterfront and has gorgeous views of the NYC skyline. It is also close to the Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge Park. As previously said the Brooklyn Museum is very nice as well and is adjacent to Prospect Park

Folks - keep in mind what the OP said - " Mr. Blue uses a wheelchair for distances"

Yep. That might lead me to Manhattan and a cab or Uber for a day at the Met, Guggenheim, etc. I don't think there are any Hilton properties closer to the Met than where they stayed last time.

I've not spent time in Brooklyn (I'm not hip(ster) enough...). I've always wanted to explore there, but I suspect mobility would be key.

NYC Transit Museum is in an unused subway stop, the station has been renovated for handicap access but it is not the regular entrance which is just like a subway stop, down stairs to the mezzanine level and down further stairs to the track level to see all the old subway cars.

A hidden gem worth the visit but just a heads up on access for the wheelchair.

NYC Transit Museum is in an unused subway stop, the station has been renovated for handicap access but it is not the regular entrance which is just like a subway stop, down stairs to the mezzanine level and down further stairs to the track level to see all the old subway cars.

A hidden gem worth the visit but just a heads up on access for the wheelchair.

I am a former resident of Brooklyn and when I lived there a lot of people cruising out of Brooklyn or Manhattan stayed at the Gregory Hotel in Bay Ridge .

I was born and raised in Brooklyn and lived in that area , but I would stay in manhattan , I prefer midtown bit downtown has enough to keep you busy, World Trade Center museum and view from top is amazing, Francis tavern where Washington gave farewell address , trinity church .

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Still haven't decided, but I guess we have some time to think about it!

Although Mr Blue uses a wheelchair for distances, we still get around fairly well. We managed hills and cobblestones in Britain last summer, and are pros at popping the chair in and out of taxi's, etc.

Since this isn't your 1st. NYC visit/cruise/sightseeing and are aware of some of the accessible obstacles, planning to do a few things after checking into the hotel for the afternoon & evening ... downtown Brooklyn isn't necessary a bad idea - using points to stay or earning affinity points.

What you have nearby is Macy's Dept Store, nothing like its flagship 34th Street HQ but ... (has been renovated, brighter & vibrant, kind of art deco design) on the Fulton Street pedestrian mall, several blocks to the NE is Junior's Cheesecake (not all New Yorker are crazy about them) There might be an evening performance at nearby BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) or something at Barclay Center.

Going north up on Jay Street or Boerum Place become Brooklyn Bridge Blvd. with government offices, court houses ... Brooklyn Marriott is in this area, nothing exciting with Cadman Plaza Park, and, these places get quiet in the evening when the office crowds headed home elsewhere. To the west - it's a bit of long walk, not really subway accessible - Brooklyn Heights Promenade high on the waterfront, excellent view of Manhattan (especially downtown) skyline in the evenings ... also, park & green space along the East River waterfront. Then, there is DUMBO - on the foothills mainly between Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge, dining (a bit pricey, NY style) and some boutique shops, the waterfront park is popular on weekends, The (ever-expanding) NYC ferry service systems has a stop there & you can ride across to Wall Street on the other side ... there are bus routes that serve this area, look it up if you are considering. Uber is probably your other "better" option for these short rides on local, city streets. Of course, the Cobble Hill area mentioned already has lots of local cafe, restaurants & little shops ... the "vibe" is very different than staying in Times Square and elsewhere in Manhattan.

https://www.nycgo.com/itineraries/one-day-dumbo-brooklyn

Some of the city blocks within this greater downtown Brooklyn area might be a little beyond the "comfort zones" of even among native New Yorkers, but not to others - a matter of traveling smart and beware of surroundings. There are fools walking around and stepping off the sidewalks each and everyday, heads down busy & occupied with their smartphone ... no amount of "Vision Zero" mandated for drivers to yield can prevent them from stepping onto potholes & falling.

Take your time to go over & consider your options and plans. As for flying into LGA vs. JFK for a stay in downtown Brooklyn, pro's and con's for either - from LGA on a weekday morning, I would advise to join the taxi queue just outside the airline terminal for an easier ride with a (transport ?) wheelchair instead of finding/hopping onto a free shuttle to a remote parking lot designated for car service/limo pickup due to airport construction. Travel time, fares (maybe $10 to $15 higher) and distance will be more with JFK, but it's less prone to FAA delays and joining the AM commuter heading into the city will equal a slower but somewhat scenic, interesting ride via the Belt Parkway (with ongoing constructions) so it's kind of a toss-up on any given day.

From this Hilton, Red Hook cruise terminal is less than 10 minutes away, maybe 15 at most and an easy one, no bridge or tunnel (with or without tolls to pay extra for) to slow down the next morning to embark on your cruise. Whatever you decide, enjoy your short stay in NY this Fall & have a great cruise.