Driving To Manhattan Where To Park/Stay?

scotto313

We are a family of 4 and we are booked on the Carnival Horizon 4 nights to Bermuda. The departure is from New York on June 21st. We want to explore the City for 2 or 3 days before departure. We have already booked the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island out of Battery Park. We are driving in from Ohio. We would also like to see the 9-11 Memorial, Times Square, Empire State Building, Central Park. I leaning toward a bus tour.

Anyway, the question is what are the best options for staying, parking and getting around? I have looked into staying in NJ, we explored taking Amtrak from Cleveland and are also considering just finding a hotel in Manhattan to leave our car for the entire week. We do not wish to drive around the City. Finding 1 or 2 places to park for the duration would be best.

Thank you in advance!

Hotel parking rates in Manhattan are very high. Perhaps makes sense to stay in NJ and take public transportation into Manhattan for sightseeing. In Manhattan subways are the best way to get around with busses the second. Of course walking when your destinations are not too far apart.

Getting around...everything you mentioned is accessible by subway. Google maps shows the lines and stations, very easy to use, and much better than sitting in traffic on a bus or in taxi/uber.

If you have never been to NYC then I would say defenity stay in the the T.S. area (you only mentioned a couple nights so it wont break the bank.) I usually like to stay down by Penn Station/MSG area (It is a little bit south of T.S.) but mostly because I can just arrive on the NJ transit train into Penn Station and walk to my hotel. (plus B&H photo is a couple blocks away :p).

Parking...can't help as I've only ever flown in and taken the train into the city (or just taken the train as the company I work for has a facility in Perth Amboy and i just hoped the train one weekend I was there). But, I suspect parking in NJ might be cheaper. Try looking around Newark airport. I just did a quick search and found parking at the airport is about $18 day (which really isn't that bad or airport parking. the rate here in little Charleston is about $10 per day) but there are other private lots/companies that are under $10 per day. (you then just have to hop the NJ transit train at EWR right into Penn Station NY)

What is your hotel budget for 3 nights? What is your parking budget for 7 days? Are 2 of your 4 people children? If so, what ages? What kind of bed configuration do you require for 4 people?

Accessibility to public transit is key. Budgeting out the total cost is key as well. Parking at Newark airport may sound good, but there is an access fee to get the train. Adult NJ Transit train fare from Newark Airport Station to NY Penn Station is $13/pp each way and train and PATH to downtown Manhattan is $11.25/pp each way. By contrast from Newark Penn Station train fare to NY Penn Station is $5.25/pp and PATH fare is $2.75/pp. Children under 12 pay about half price on the train with no access fee from Newark Airport.

Also, what date and time do you have Statue of Liberty reservations?

Budget is kind of open. We have 2 boys ages 15 and 16. We could manage 2 queen beds if we had to. Our Statue of Liberty trip leaves at 8:30 AM from Battery Park on June 20th. Our ship leaves June 21st.

I am apprehensive about driving and parking in Manhattan. I looked into Amtrak from Cleveland but it was almost $800 and took about 15 hours. Still, that might be our best bet. I am trying to see if we can cut down the time and fare for Amtrak by driving in closer. Amtrak into Penn Station seems pretty convenient.

Budget is kind of open. We have 2 boys ages 15 and 16. We could manage 2 queen beds if we had to. Our Statue of Liberty trip leaves at 8:30 AM from Battery Park on June 20th. Our ship leaves June 21st.

I am apprehensive about driving and parking in Manhattan. I looked into Amtrak from Cleveland but it was almost $800 and took about 15 hours. Still, that might be our best bet. I am trying to see if we can cut down the time and fare for Amtrak by driving in closer. Amtrak into Penn Station seems pretty convenient.

A realistic budget range would be helpful. Two Queen beds can be very difficult. To be at Battery Park at 8:30 am on a Wed morning could be challenging.

$250 to $300 per night would be reasonable for hotel. I guess we could swing $50 per day to park.

A friend said they stayed in NJ on a package deal at a Doubletree that let them keep their car at the hotel while on the cruise. I am fine with that if there was an easy way to get into the city for sightseeing.

$250 to $300 per night would be reasonable for hotel. I guess we could swing $50 per day to park.

A friend said they stayed in NJ on a package deal at a Doubletree that let them keep their car at the hotel while on the cruise. I am fine with that if there was an easy way to get into the city for sightseeing.

Finding two Queen beds is the problem. I'm also concerned about positioning you so that transportation to get you to the SOL ferry by 8:30 am on a Wed morning is reliable.

Manhattan hotels with 2 queen beds appear to be out of your price range. Look at Jersey City hotels like the Double Tree (1 queen plus a queen sofabed), Courtyard (2 Queens but pricey), and Candlewood Suites ( 1 queen plus 1 sofa bed - need to verify size). Parking runs about $25, but no real need for a car.

Instead Park your car at Port Imperial for the duration of your stay for $20/day. Take the accessible Hudson-Bergen light rail to your hotel (max 2-3 blocks). Details can be provided depending on which hotel you pick. Note: the Doubletree and Courtyard are close to the Newport Light rail and PATH stations. Candlewood Suites is right at the Harborside Light Rail Station but is about 5-6 blocks from the Newport (uptown) or Exchange Place (Downtown) PATH stations. When the cruise is over take the ferry ($9/pp) from 39th St and 12th Ave back to Port Imperial to retrieve your car.

Use PATH to get in and out of NYC. $2.75/pp. https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

If you're near the Newport PATH station, you will have direct service to 33rd & 6th or World Trade Center on weekdays. For the SOL you should leave between 7:30 and 7:45 for the 7 minute ride to World Trade and the 20 minute walk to Battery Park.

To get to your cruise, take PATH to 33rd St and take a cab to the pier. This is accessible with luggage. At 33rd St the elevator is to your left when you exit the turnstiles.

Is the Statue of Liberty non cancelable? Because since you have a car, and are probably staying in NJ, you can drive to Liberty State Park to get the ferry to SOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all depends on what they want to do after the SOL. If they want to go back to lower Manhattan, then it becomes a more expensive day with a ferry "curfew" to make it back to their car.

It all depends on what they want to do after the SOL. If they want to go back to lower Manhattan, then it becomes a more expensive day with a ferry "curfew" to make it back to their car.

We are planning on spending 2 long action packed days in Manhattan. With the Bermuda Cruise being multiple days at sea we figure we can relax at sea.

Thank you 138east. I think we will be following your advice. The hotels in Hoboken, Newport or Paulus Hook are on our list. The Path looks like an easy way to get into the tourist areas.

Just keep in mind if you need to be at Battery Park by 8:30 am ( maybe earlier to get through security) you will be traveling on public transportation and near the Wall Street area at the height of rush hour. Plan accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not that familiar with staying in NYC but when my daughter and I took a long weekend vacation to NYC we stayed on Staten Island (Hampton Inn I think) and drove to the Staten Island Ferry terminal. The ferry is free and I think parking was only $20 for the day. The Staten Island Ferry will drop you off right next to the ferry for the Statue of Liberty (the ferry rides right by the Statue). After the SOL tour you can jump right on the subway system and take it further into the city or jump on one of the tour buses, they stop right there.

You'd still need to figure out where to park your car for the cruise, if you don't want to park right at the terminal.

I'd also check out options across the other river, in Queens. I recall hearing of decent rates in Long Island City, near Queens Plaza with very easy convenient subway access into Manhattan. I'd think that parking would be far more reasonable than Manhattan as well.

Get a car rental from home to NYC from a rental company that has a location near your NYC hotel. . Enjoy NYC then after the cruise uber or walk to a car rental place that is convenient and pick up your one way back rental.

No worries about parking or Amtrak pricing this way

Sent from my iPad using Forums