Penthouse Suite on Riviera, help please.

rosalita92

We are planning on taking June 2019 Oceania Riviera "Radiant Riverias" cruise from Barcelona to Rome. We would appreciate help from those of you have been on the ship. We are considering PH2 level on Deck 10, port side rooms 10022-10028, close but not next to elevators. Does anyone have concerns with this location?

Also is it better to book directly with Oceania or via a travel agent?

Thanks.

Most of us would tell you to book with one of the "top" Oceania TAs. NOT direct with Oceania.

As to the location of your PH I can't say. On our "O" ship cruises we've usually been in a VS or OC but we DID sail in a PH on Marina for one cruise. (In that case we were in a PH3, 11018) and it was fine. When we were docked in Santo Tomas (Guatemala) we had a great view of the locals dancing for us down on the dock ...

As to location ... someone more knowledgeable will log in, I'm sure.

The PH is a comfortable suite. Personally I don't like the dinner table set-up at the foot of the bed but it's not impossible to deal with. I also have never been bothered by being close to elevators but I know that some are. So if you are "close" but not on top of them, I doubt you'd have a problem. It certainly is convenient to be close to the elevators.

Have a great cruise!

Mura

We are planning on taking June 2019 Oceania Riviera "Radiant Riverias" cruise from Barcelona to Rome. We would appreciate help from those of you have been on the ship. We are considering PH2 level on Deck 10, port side rooms 10022-10028, close but not next to elevators. Does anyone have concerns with this location?

Thanks.

Hi Rosalita,

We are currently on the Riviera doing the Transatlantic to Barcelona and are in PH 2 suite in the forward part of the ship not too far down the hall from the stairs and elevators. This is probably one of the nicest and most comfortable cabins we have ever been in. We are first timers to Oceania and are writing a LIVE blog on this board which can give you a whole lot more information on tips, dining, suite, etc. posted by my hubby Cruise Aficionado. Even in high seas and swells this ship is very stable. After being in a Penthouse I believe we are now spoiled forever to go in any other category. We actually like the dining set up at the end of the bed and have used this setting area a lot, the two chairs are very supportive and comfortable. If you read our thread and have any other questions, please let us know.

Hi Rosalita92,

We were in cabin 10026 on the Riveria in 2015 and 10028 on her sister ship, Marina in 2016. We loved the location of 10026 so much that when we planned our next cruise on the Marina, we chose 10028. We chose 10028 over 10026 (both were available at the time of our booking) because it was a little farther away from the doors to the laundry room and the crew staircase (not shown in the deck plan on the website). Those door could slam if one was not careful. Noise was never a problem, but we were aware of the door to the crew staircase slamming in 10026. NOT a major issue, I just mention it since you seem to have a choice. The convenience to the elevator and laundry room was terrific. We would happily choose either of these cabins again.

There was a recent thread here discussing the financial advantages of booking through a travel agent:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2612043

Enjoy!

I would also echo PHs on Riviera are great, esp deck 10. Avoid deck 11 under the Terrace. There is considerable noise early in the morning with chairs & tables moved about & vaccum cleaners going at it before breakfast.

Do look at the deck plan as to the proximity of the Laundry Room as noted above.

Plenty of LRs on board - Nautica has only one for all passengers - so no big concerns with congestion or hallway conversations on 10. But you will want to located as far from the LR as is feasible & available. Doors opening & sometimes the tv is put on full volume.

Laundries are specifically noted on Riviera deck plans with a clothes hanger symbol.

Thanks.

We booked with Oceania but perhaps you could research to see the better deal. We were in PH 11028 in January. Loved the room and location - near elevator, stairs, concierge room - very convenient. No noise at all. Very quiet. The room is toward the middle of the ship, so going to eat you have to walk to another set of elevators toward the back of the ship. Loved the PH room. Very spacious.

Use a TA. In many cases, they will prepay the gratuities. That's a savings of 18%. They will help you with any special requests; so that you are not dealing with them yourself in the first hours on the ship. My husband uses a BiPap for sleep; so the TA tells them that and they have an electrician come down when our bags arrive to set up the machine and make sure it is 100% operational.

Use a TA. In many cases, they will prepay the gratuities. That's a savings of 18%. They will help you with any special requests; so that you are not dealing with them yourself in the first hours on the ship. My husband uses a BiPap for sleep; so the TA tells them that and they have an electrician come down when our bags arrive to set up the machine and make sure it is 100% operational.

I don't think the paid grats are 18% of the total. The grats on drinks and the spa is 18%, but those are not included when you have prepaid gratuities. The drink grats are paid for when you have a drink package.

Use a TA. In many cases, they will prepay the gratuities. That's a savings of 18%. .

Where did you get that information from ?

Oceania website

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Thanks.

Greetings from South Beach, rosalita. DH and I will be on Riviera in March. We booked 10022 for the fourth time. We like the location.

Mary

Thanks.

We just sailed in 10030.... smack dab in between the elevator and staircase when entering the hallway from either.

We absolutely loved the convenience of the location. We did not have issues with any noise from the hallway.

I don't think the paid grats are 18% of the total. The grats on drinks and the spa is 18%, but those are not included when you have prepaid gratuities. The drink grats are paid for when you have a drink package.

I stand corrected. I believe the TA pays that daily room gratuity. Still, an advantage.

I agree, take deck 10 not 11 and do not be concerned with noise near an elevator. We like that location. In all cabins there is a gap under the door but we have only been bothered once by noise from loud/late/inconsiderate but "well oiled" fellow pax. They were enjoying their evening. Happy someone other than us was closing down Horizons. All good.

:):halo:

We booked with Oceania but perhaps you could research to see the better deal. We were in PH 11028 in January. Loved the room and location - near elevator, stairs, concierge room - very convenient. No noise at all. Very quiet. The room is toward the middle of the ship, so going to eat you have to walk to another set of elevators toward the back of the ship. Loved the PH room. Very spacious.

We were in 11030 in December. Liked it so much we booked same cabin for May 2018 cruise. You will not be disappointed..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my first O cruise in June on Marina. My TA advised the PH2 on 7 (7128) because it has a larger balcony than the upper decks. The drawback appears to be that it's above the GDR but forum chat indicates that there isn't much noise from below. Has anyone experienced the larger balcony in the PH category? I know deck plans can be a little misconceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm on my first O cruise in June on Marina. My TA advised the PH2 on 7 (7128) because it has a larger balcony than the upper decks. The drawback appears to be that it's above the GDR but forum chat indicates that there isn't much noise from below. Has anyone experienced the larger balcony in the PH category? I know deck plans can be a little misconceiving.

Those back 4 penthouses are my favorite and I have been in all of them. I have never heard any noise from the MDR. You may however notice a fairly loud shuddering noise if they are trying to back into port.

I think your travel agent gave you great advice:D

We just returned from a transatlantic on the Riviera in 11068 which is a Penthouse Suite more aft than than the cabins you are looking at. Yes, it was under the Terrace Cafe, but we were never awakened by noise up there (and I'm a really light sleeper).

Those back 4 penthouses are my favorite and I have been in all of them. I have never heard any noise from the MDR. You may however notice a fairly loud shuddering noise if they are trying to back into port.

Crusingxpert,

Can you weigh in on whether these balconies aft on Deck 7 are a bit larger? They appear so...

Thanks!

We have been on the Marina four times (identical to Riviera) and always had a PH3. I agree that once you try the PH cabins you will get spoiled. We were on deck 10, specifically 10020 and 10018. As you said you are considering 10022 - 10028, those are PH2 category and "slightly" more expensive than PH3. It's usually only a couple hundred dollars difference but the cabins are identical. On the cruise you are looking at the fare is $200 less per person in a P3, than a P2, so it would be $400 less. I actually prefer being right by the laundry room. I can pop in any time to see if there is an available machine and go back and forth from my cabin across the hallway to move to the dryer, pick up when done, and or iron something. There is absolutely no noise whatsoever and I am sensitive to noise. To answer your question about the penthouses on deck 7, I have read that they do indeed have a larger balcony but that the cabin is actually a bit smaller than the penthouses on deck 10 and deck 11. As others have suggested, finding a TA who might pay the gratuities and/or give you a rebate is a good reason to not book direct.

Crusingxpert,

Can you weigh in on whether these balconies aft on Deck 7 are a bit larger? They appear so...

Thanks!

They are the same width but they are about 12 ft deep. The aft one is huge and wraps around the back of the ship. You do lose some sq footage in the cabin. The other 2 back cabins 7128 and 7133 are the same sq footage as all the other penthouses but an extra deep balcony. The last picture is taken looking down at 7130 and 7128 from Deck 11 Oceania suite.

18c9036b58b7c8dd36a5c4dac6b2c460.jpgc4e6f069a8692ce2ca72b562ca10b580.png75628170b7de071717eb7d478ffe187b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Thank you to all of you, we appreciate the help. rosalita92

• 4 weeks later...
Greetings from South Beach, rosalita. DH and I will be on Riviera in March. We booked 10022 for the fourth time. We like the location.

Mary

Has anyone had experience in ph 1103

We have been in them too. The closets are much smaller on the aft cabins and the walk around area at the end of the bed is smaller. The dresser inside the closet was also smaller than the standard dresser. The aft cabin is great if you can sit out. We had it for an Atlantic Crossing and it was rainy most of the cruise and went unused. We were on for 28 days and 2 weeks in the aft and 2 weeks in the cabin next to it which was larger.