Panama Canal

eaglepup27

I have never sailed Vision of the seas. I have transited the canal on Celebrity Infinity, HAL Oosterdam and Carnival Splendor. I can tell you that if you stay on your balcony in the canal, you will miss 80% of what there is to be seen. You want to be out on deck moving around. Pick a balcony for other reasons or locations, but not the Panama Canal. EM

Have not been on Vision either, but I don't think there is a "best" location as the views are on both sides of the ship. There are also views forward and aft when in transit. As mentioned above, go out on an open deck to see and experience it. We were on the promenade deck rail starboard on Jewel and were able to reach out and touch the lock as we rose in it .

Staying on your balcony will cause you to miss 3/4's of the sights....doesn't matter which ship! You need to get out and about and see the canal from all sides and different deck levels. Do not choose a cabin and plan to sit there the entire time.

Agree with all posters - we had a balcony for the full transit on Princess Coral but spent most of our time in the canal up on deck - or BELOW - make sure you go into a dining room or lounge that has windows while you are "in" one of the locks - to see the walls of the locks outside those windows was amazing! We were fortunate that we went thru one set of locks during "lunch time" so we ate in the dining room and watched as we came into the first one "submerged" and then rose to the next one!