Parking for cruise out of Boston

doones2

• 2 weeks later...

the edic garage had plenty of room for the 4/20 cruise and there was also another lot right by the ship for 25 a day (massport doesn't tell you about this one). i prepaid 147 for the 501 congress street lot. if you are coming from the south (we dropped our bags at the ship then went to the lot) , it is not easy to find this lot your gps will say arrived but you are at a stop light that says no u-turn. ignore the sign and make a u-turn and then you will see the signs for the lot (looks like a construction site).

the edic garage had plenty of room for the 4/20 cruise and there was also another lot right by the ship for 25 a day (massport doesn't tell you about this one). i prepaid 147 for the 501 congress street lot. if you are coming from the south (we dropped our bags at the ship then went to the lot) , it is not easy to find this lot your gps will say arrived but you are at a stop light that says no u-turn. ignore the sign and make a u-turn and then you will see the signs for the lot (looks like a construction site).

Thanks so much for that feedback!

Sorry to hear about the GPS problems. In order to avoid the illegal Uturn, it looks like you have to take Summer St to D St, make a right and go to the end at Seaport Blvd, make a left and the another left on Seaport Lane and another left onto Congress to end up on the correct side of the street.

Honestly I don't think Massport has to tell you about other parking options. They are building their own parking facility and are offering reduced rates for cruise parking. The EDIC and $25 lot are other independent parking options.

Somebody told me that it is $13 a night to park at the cruise port . I guess that is not right.

I was thinking of a HAL cruise from Boston this summer.

Nope - not right. Current rate is $21 through Massport and higher at other locations closer to the port not run by Massport.

• 2 weeks later...

So are the bow lots still open? We parked there three years ago and it was so easy.

I am trying to figure out parking costs and whether or not to Uber it for my moms house our not. Car services are too expensive. Uber both ways may be a bit cheaper than parking.

All depends on the bow lots or not. Yes I am being picky and don’t want to drop my family, then park and shuttle over. Walking to and from the lot is just easier for us.

I am interested in the parking situation at the pier too. We would prefer to park near the ship and not have to take a shuttle to the ship and then back after the cruise. If we get there early enough I would hope to be able to park in the garage as we did 5 years ago. I would like to get feedback on what people have done for parking. This is the part of the cruise that stresses me the most.

We just got off the "Veendam" on May 19th, 2018. We parked at 12 Drydock Ave for the convenience - we were prepared to pay the $30 per day so that we could walk off the ship straight to our van. So glad we did! We ended up paying $25.00 per day which automatically came up on the machine. We arrived at the port, we were handed a ticket and asked to park on the fifth floor. We took the elevator down, and had an easy, easy, easy walk to the terminal - me driving my mobility scooter and my husband toting one large and one carry on suitcase. (Parking spots were empty from the third floor up but they must be busier during the week - this was a Saturday). When we disembarked, chaos ensued outside the terminal for those waiting for taxis and shuttles; there isn't much room on the sidewalk and the problem was compounded by an ambulance that someone must have required. We just walked around everyone, got to our vehicle - they helped us at the exit to insert our ticket and pay with our credit card - and we were on our way. The other parking close by that required a shuttle was $21.00 per day so for $4:00 a day difference, the convenience was worth every penny. Especially with a mobility scooter that may not have fit in the shuttle. We would not hesitate to park there again.

P.S. We drove from Ontario, Canada and to avoid paying the ridiculous high prices of hotels in downtown Boston we stayed in Westborough at the Westborough Inn B&B - about an hour outside of downtown Boston. We were charged $100 per night for the room, which included a very adequate continental breakfast - again we would highly recommend. So where we saved on a hotel overnight we were comfortable paying for the parking! :)

Thanks for the detailed report on your experience. It's good to know there were parking spots for a Sat cruise for $25/day. Sun is probably also OK, but I would be worried about a Fri cruise and have a plan B for parking.

Glad you found a nice place to stay in Westborough. We've always recommended the strategy of staying precruise west of the city along I90 to avoid the expensive Boston hotels.

• 2 weeks later...
So are the bow lots still open? We parked there three years ago and it was so easy.

I am trying to figure out parking costs and whether or not to Uber it for my moms house our not. Car services are too expensive. Uber both ways may be a bit cheaper than parking.

All depends on the bow lots or not. Yes I am being picky and don’t want to drop my family, then park and shuttle over. Walking to and from the lot is just easier for us.

$175 to park in the open air lot right at the bow of the ship.

I still dropped the hubby and luggage of in the drop off area, parked the car, and met him.

So easy, and way better than some satellite lot.

Granted....the car needs a major bath