Athens to Venice Adriatic Cruise

droz

Hi all Viking Cruisers! Wife and I will be cruising from Athens to Venice this fall. Our cruise has 2 night PRE & post port stays.

Besides Athens & Venice ports, additional ports are Katakolon, Corfu, Kotor, Dubrovnik & Split.

We are very excited. Have been reading/watching Rick Steves, Wikipedia, Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic as well as watching as many YOU TUBE videos on places that we can to determine all the different things to see and do.

If you were to do it again, what sites, places or tours did you like or dislike? What impressed you the most and what tours/places would you see or not see. Tours, free & otherwise, any recommendations (worthwhile or not).

Many sites to see in a very short period of time. Would love to hear some of your memorable experiences and suggestions.

Thanks

I would suggest taking it easy and soaking up the atmosphere rather than rushing around ticking off a list of 'must see' sights.

In Venice, just wander off into the maze of little alleys and bridges over the canals. It's wonderful and atmospheric in a way that's hard to explain.

Do not forget to check out the Ports of Call/Europe section of the Cruise Critic boards for more talk about these ports and Roll Call/Viking to find the roll call for your sailing (to meet and chat with folks who will be sailing with you). Click on Meet & Mingle in the page header above to sign up for the the cocktail event hosted by Viking for all Cruise Critic members who sign up in advance.

Have you seen the roll call for this one on the relevant page?

We're on this cruise too. We've done some of these ports before, but can't wait to return.

In Corfu for us it has to be a gentle stroll from the ship into town, and go around that area on foot. Ok, so it feels like a longish hike to get from the ship all along the pier, but it's not that far really.

In Dubrovnik we are looking forward to getting into town - our previous visits have been further afield, and so we'd like just to visit Dubrovnik itself. Our previous visits have been during the warmer months, and then there used to be a kayak trip, but we that doesn't appeal in November.

We've also done Venice a couple of times, and it's easy to walk from the ship (which I think might be berthed in Maritima) and investigate the wonderful little side streets, small squares and all those small bridges too. Previously we've made our way to the centre and then been able to get a small boat back to the ship (usually from Monumento). We have found that a couple of hours can take us through quite a lot of the main places through to get the boat back to the ship.

Useful information can be found on whatsinport.com .

Edited by Parsley Cruises
More information.

You have an overnight in Venice at the end. The best tip I can give you is to take the St. Marks at Night tour. If Viking doesn't offer it you can book yourself through walksofitaly. We have done it twice and both times it was magical.

You have an overnight in Venice at the end. The best tip I can give you is to take the St. Marks at Night tour. If Viking doesn't offer it you can book yourself through walksofitaly. We have done it twice and both times it was magical.

Excellent advice .. I just looked at the tour on line. It looks fantastic and is now on the to-do list for next year. Thank you :)

Thanks for all the comments and web links. Wife and I or pretty much of a DIY on site seeing. However will take advantage of a good tour.

Yes will probably spend our time in town except for Katakolon. Will try to take a side trip to Olympia following up with a wandering through town before boarding if time permits.

Even though we have a Pre/Post cruise extensions, time will be short. Want to make sure we do not miss the must do’s without over doing it.

For those of you that have experience with Viking tours any recommendations for these ports?

Our cruise departs on the 8th of NOV. As of yet, Viking has not loaded any cruise tours for selection.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Our cruise departs on the 8th of NOV. As of yet, Viking has not loaded any cruise tours for selection.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Shorex are loaded into MVJ about 120-100 days before departure. Before that, you can view what kinds of tours might be offered (no prices or times but the included tour will be marked as such), on the Viking website on the itinerary page for your cruise. Scroll down to the Day-by-Day section; each band is actually a hyperlink to more detailed information. Click on any band and you will be taken to a generic page for the port (generic because this page is used for any itinerary that calls at that port).

We just loved our visit to Kotor, and the sail in and out of the fjords is not to be missed. It may not be Norway, but is quite beautiful. Kotor is similar to Dubrovnik, a walled Medieval town, set at the foot of a mountain, easily toured on foot and for the adventurous, you can take the hillside path to a church hugging the side of the mountain. Charming place. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the comments and web links. Wife and I or pretty much of a DIY on site seeing. However will take advantage of a good tour.

Yes will probably spend our time in town except for Katakolon. Will try to take a side trip to Olympia following up with a wandering through town before boarding if time permits.

We are A DIY couple as well - I would say that your plan to go to Olympia from Katakolon will not be a disappointment. It is a pretty special place to spend time. We were not traveling on Viking when we were there so cannot comment on their tour. We commingled with the tour group for some f the history , but then wandered off on our own for quite a bit of time as we really enjoyed the opportunity of quiet time in such a special place.

We did that cruise during the “quiet season” last year and it was fantastic. We did the Olympia tour in Katakolon and found it very interesting. My favorite, though, was probably the “wall walk” tour in Dubrovnik — I highly recommend it. In Venice we did a “Walks of Italy” after hours tour of St. Mark’s and it was pretty incredible. The tour guide was great and having the Cathedral essentially to ourselves was amazing (I think the tours are limited to less than 20 people). Otherwise I second the comment that Venice is great just to explore on your own.

In Corfu we took the included tour, despite having visited the island many times. We left the tour in the centre of Corfu Town and returned to the ship on the Viking Shuttle Bus.

In Katokolon the included tour went to Olympia with free time afterwards to wander.

In Dobrovnik we took the included tour, but returned on the shuttle bus later in the day. Again we have been several times before but the tour took us inside the Monastery that we had not seen.

We did included tours in Koper, Kotor and Zadar. All good. Most impressive were the young local guides who were passionate about their 'new countries'. They all spoke several languages fluently which puts us all in the UK to shame.

In Corfu we took the included tour, despite having visited the island many times. We left the tour in the centre of Corfu Town and returned to the ship on the Viking Shuttle Bus.

In Katokolon the included tour went to Olympia with free time afterwards to wander.

In Dobrovnik we took the included tour, but returned on the shuttle bus later in the day. Again we have been several times before but the tour took us inside the Monastery that we had not seen.

We did included tours in Koper, Kotor and Zadar. All good. Most impressive were the young local guides who were passionate about their 'new countries'. They all spoke several languages fluently which puts us all in the UK to shame.

Did your cruise stop by Split, we had the best tour there . It was a cruise up a local river up to a small restaurant on the river bank . Great lunch overlooking the river and the wine flowed. What more could you ask for .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did your cruise stop by Split, we had the best tour there . It was a cruise up a local river up to a small restaurant on the river bank . Great lunch overlooking the river and the wine flowed. What more could you ask for .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That excursion was booked when we signed for our cruise so we did an option off ship. We're going to the same town and viewing the same river but our perspective will be slightly different. We're zip lining. With this excursion we can make the included tour but with the ship tour, it would have been too close to book.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I heard about the St Marks at night in Venice. Need to dig up some of the details. Have been looking for something at night to split up the day. Someone stated that they took the Viking shuttle back midday.

Does Viking offer shuttles back at various times during the day?

Thanks everyone for these great suggestions. It appears that there is so much to see in very little time. I might need a vacation after the cruise!

Just completed the Athens to Venice cruise on the Star. Viking did have a shuttle boat running from the ship to near St. Marks Square. It’s about a 10 minute walk from the drop/pickup point but you have to go over 4 bridges to get to the square. Not too bad but the large crowds of people can make it challenging.

Just completed the Athens to Venice cruise on the Star. Viking did have a shuttle boat running from the ship to near St. Marks Square. It’s about a 10 minute walk from the drop/pickup point but you have to go over 4 bridges to get to the square. Not too bad but the large crowds of people can make it challenging.

That is great news, VJMAZZ! We're on the Athens-Venice cruise in May and I've been trying to figure out how we were going to get to our hotel, which is very near St Mark's. Did Viking charge passengers to take this shuttle boat?

I'd better start taking some notes. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are doing the Athens to Venice cruise next spring also. We are currently researching land tours of Greece before the cruise and a post cruise land tour of Italy - perhaps by train.

We are very interested in the ports of call for the cruise and comparing the included tours with other options. We dislike bus tours where you just drive by a lot of the sites and when you do stop, the clock is ticking with little time to just soak it up and be in the moment. If the included tours are walking tours, great. Otherwise, we may explore other options. We get tired of the ABC tours (Another Blessed Cathedral, Another Blasted Castle) and some of most memorable port days have been we just wander into town and find a little café for lunch or a little park to enjoy watching the locals.

We've been to Santorini twice on other cruises, and we'll probably just ride the tender in and have a nice Greek lunch on our own.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm scribbling furiously.:cool: