Seattle & Vancouver Transit Options for Toddler

Tennant

We are doing a cruise or if Seattle returning to Vancouver. What are some options to and from airports, hotels and cruise ports with a toddler? Is anything easily accessed by public transit? We travel fairly light from a luggage standpoint.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vancouver transit is the best on the continent - downtown itself is eminently walkable (stroller for the little'un needed though!) and contains the majority of our 'big hit' tourist options, and free shuttles to the big two North Shore attractions, Grouse Mountain and Capilano Bridge. Small ferries ply the waters of False Creek (Science World and Granville Island are both very kid-friendly, with the latter's Kids Market a no-brainer for shopping but it also has a huge 'jungle gym' play zone in the roof - at cost - and there's a splash park the wee ones love in hot weather).

Transit website (with maps, pricing etc.) here. Plus False Creek ferries and Aquabus.

Just in case you wanted to go somewhere that transit is a hassle for, taxis here are exempt from car seat laws - but even though they don't have to use them, if you bring one they do have to wait with the meter NOT running while you fit them. Grumble about the delay = no tip! Hotel-wise I'd strongly favour the YWCA with a kid - lots of room options with multiple beds, and the full kitchens mean preparing even a VERY picky eaters meals can be easily done by hitting local supermarket and prepping it yourself. Great downtown location too. Other good choices would include the 'condo hotels' which are based around small apartments - e.g. Times Square Suites, Rosedale on Robson.

Seattle has some decent transit for the US - some light rail, mostly buses - but while there are some great downtown sights many of the big hits really need a car to visit conveniently. Steep hills abound which makes walking with a wee one/stroller sometimes tricky. The Seattle Center area is very walkable, and has the Science Centre, Space Needle, lots of nice green space and plenty of hotels and restos in the nice level part of the 'hood. It's where we like to stay - cheaper than downtown core but walkable, and the routes don't have to involve huge slopes.

Uber and Lyft make visiting e.g. the zoo more feasible, but NB: car seats so you're worse off than if you rent a car as then you only have to install the seat once. Can't say that I've taken any of our younger rellies to Seattle, so I'm not the best person to make many suggestions about the kind of kid-friendly stuff you might want to hit there except the really obvious ones already given.

Edited by martincath
add links

No problemo. We had my then-just-turned-1-year old nephew over for a visit last year, who started walking while here (neener-neener BIL who stayed home!), so if your little'un is on the younger side of toddling I might even be able to help out with specific experiences if you come up a list of potential sights (the biggest hits with him were the splash parks and pools, he's definitely a water baby).