Moral question about dog sled tours

Mountaineer0313

28516106_10212095360399335_8813311626112284106_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=23d8a568457be47da7e74ce8f63ef021&oe=5B6D3D88

The brown dog in front is the same dog that is in the front of the last photo...This is Harley, part of the motorcycle litter....He also raced in this year's Iditarod..We love our dogs...and we care for them...and we take care of them...not all that you read is true..go see for yourselves..

Harley is stunning! I love his big smile! I can tell that your dogs are your life. Too bad people aren't more like dogs!?!

So I have to ask...what is the "motorcycle" litter???

Harley is stunning! I love his big smile! I can tell that your dogs are your life. Too bad people aren't more like dogs!?!

So I have to ask...what is the "motorcycle" litter???

usually litters are named after a subject....Herbs is a common one...Thyme, Rosemary, etc...This was a motorcycle litter...all named after motorcycles...Ducati, Harley, Indian...Beamer...(BMW)....etc. Sometimes they get a bit weird...Rivers are common, mountains and trees are common...Easy to keep track of what litter is what..:) One musher names his beloved dogs after diseases...pox, measles, dengue....:) doesn't mean he loves them less...interesting conversation...if you are on facebook...turn to Kale Casey live and you can watch a bit of the very last race that is happening...Live.

Edited by laughing husky
addition

usually litters are named after a subject....Herbs is a common one...Thyme, Rosemary, etc...This was a motorcycle litter...all named after motorcycles...Ducati, Harley, Indian...Beamer...(BMW)....etc. Sometimes they get a bit weird...Rivers are common, mountains and trees are common...Easy to keep track of what litter is what..:) One musher names his beloved dogs after diseases...pox, measles, dengue....:) doesn't mean he loves them less...interesting conversation...if you are on facebook...turn to Kale Casey live and you can watch a bit of the very last race that is happening...Live.

Thank You laughing husky...that's really interesting and it makes sense now that you explain it. I guess you have to get inventive on the themes. I'm afraid I'm not a facebook user. Sometimes I wish I did, but probably more drama than I need in my life. I hope Kale Casey has a good run!

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain things that I never would have known about. It sure is interesting. And Alaska is so very beautiful, but I know it comes with some hardships too. But that's life isn't it?

Thank You laughing husky...that's really interesting and it makes sense now that you explain it. I guess you have to get inventive on the themes. I'm afraid I'm not a facebook user. Sometimes I wish I did, but probably more drama than I need in my life. I hope Kale Casey has a good run!

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain things that I never would have known about. It sure is interesting. And Alaska is so very beautiful, but I know it comes with some hardships too. But that's life isn't it?

Wish I could put a video of some of the dogs finishing and starting a race so you can see for yourself...It is hard to imagine when you don't live here or have never been to a race. I ask everyone to come up and see a race first hand....and see a finish....and see mushers with their dogs....Go to a reputable kennel...ask questions, 99% of us adore our animals....but like kids, we know they have to do chores....same as i have to go to work....:) Much rather be with the dogs, though.....LOL....

Budget Queen, as you may have guessed in the past, you know I have a dog kennel...All of my dogs have raced 1,000 mile races. My oldest dog is now 18. She has over 60,000 miles on her 4 paws. Of course she is a house dog now and is in remarkably good shape. My dogs LOVE to run.....Whether they are on a tether or in the house, when they hear the dog truck start up, the barking starts...They are so disappointed if they can't go...Being on a tether is a safety issue. Many dogs are not spayed or neutered...They are like humans, they have a pecking order...It is not safe to let 40 dogs out at one time unless you are right there with them. Tethering them provides social stimulation for them...They can play with their neighboring dogs. My dogs go willingly to their tethers after running free every day....As for vet bills? All mushers have tremendous vet bills..Many of us can take care of routine problems ourselves. We know our dogs intimately...and they know us also. My vet bill is in the 1,000's every year....if it wasn't, I could go on more cruises...:) Listen to Libby talk about her dogs on every Princess ship...Listen to the pride we have in our dogs....and the love we have for them. Very few mushers ever make any money from our sport. I can name them on one hand. It takes between 50,000-60,000/yr to run and maintain a race team....Are there bad guys in the sport? Yup, just like parents....most are good and should qualify for sainthood.....some are not so good, and a very few are downright bad. But please, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most of us adore and care for our dogs....and can you love so many? Yup, just like kids...You can have 10 and still love all of them.....AND, know their names.

I have seen the sled dogs on a previous tour, seen the conditions and as a person who cares for dogs I was glade to see the nice conditions, as you stated, it’s is a safety issue that they are feathered for. The guide spoke to use about the care of the dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

539286_404439132935551_1779732994_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e716364f5d1c383945c374945e0937ef&oe=5B75D744

these are my dogs starting the Yukon Quest...a 1,000 mile race from Fairbanks, AK. to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. They also sleep on my bed and they are also tethered....Many times I have had 25 dogs in my house...It is not unusual for a musher to do that...really....Right now I have 10 of them inside...As far as cold? They sleep on top of their house until it is about -10 degree F....They all have double coats that can keep them warm in -50....It is the mushers that have problems with the cold..rarely the dogs...

I see your post and I smile. YOU are an authority on Dog Sledding and I respect your views over those that "feel" bad. I do not know how long dogs have been used for sledding (as transportation and transport) but I suspect that it is (at the very least) hundreds of years.

We, my Wife and myself, will be there in August 2018 and we ARE doing the Dog Sledding excursion. It has been on my Wife's "bucket list" since we have been married - 50 years now. My Wife is the biggest dog lover on the planet. We have had Dachshunds and German Shepherds for the entirety of our married life. Trust me when I tell you this - if SHE thinks that ANY of those dogs are being mistreated in the least - if will be hard on me to hold her back :D

Beautiful Pics and ANYONE who could see those beautiful animals in action and "think" that they are abused - needs to see stories on dog fights and "humane" dog shelters and, not to mention, breeders who treat their dogs as nothing more than a commodity. Thank You again.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who works extensively in animal rescue, I assure you, I am well aware and very familiar with the plights of animals in shelters, fighting rings, backyard breeders and puppy mills. I started this thread not to condemn those who take care of their sled dogs, as I do know that there are many who do. My problem was specifically with those who don't. I don't want to ruin my vacation by taking part in a sled dog excursion that could possibly be run by someone who does not take spectacular care of their animals.

I see your post and I smile. YOU are an authority on Dog Sledding and I respect your views over those that "feel" bad. I do not know how long dogs have been used for sledding (as transportation and transport) but I suspect that it is (at the very least) hundreds of years.

We, my Wife and myself, will be there in August 2018 and we ARE doing the Dog Sledding excursion. It has been on my Wife's "bucket list" since we have been married - 50 years now. My Wife is the biggest dog lover on the planet. We have had Dachshunds and German Shepherds for the entirety of our married life. Trust me when I tell you this - if SHE thinks that ANY of those dogs are being mistreated in the least - if will be hard on me to hold her back :D

Beautiful Pics and ANYONE who could see those beautiful animals in action and "think" that they are abused - needs to see stories on dog fights and "humane" dog shelters and, not to mention, breeders who treat their dogs as nothing more than a commodity. Thank You again.

As someone who works extensively in animal rescue, I assure you, I am well aware and very familiar with the plights of animals in shelters, fighting rings, backyard breeders and puppy mills. I started this thread not to condemn those who take care of their sled dogs, as I do know that there are many who do. My problem was specifically with those who don't. I don't want to ruin my vacation by taking part in a sled dog excursion that could possibly be run by someone who does not take spectacular care of their animals.

Care to name names or are you merely speculating? No one here says that you MUST partake in that excursion. If you have a problem with it - then by all means, don't do it.

We have a German Shepherd and two Dachshunds. They are family. They are treated like family. I find it hard to believe that ANY dog sledder who (more or less) makes his/her living from sled dogs would willingly mistreat them - but I will defer to your extensive knowledge of working with rescue dogs, fighting rings, puppy mills and the like.

Care to name names or are you merely speculating? No one here says that you MUST partake in that excursion. If you have a problem with it - then by all means, don't do it.

We have a German Shepherd and two Dachshunds. They are family. They are treated like family. I find it hard to believe that ANY dog sledder who (more or less) makes his/her living from sled dogs would willingly mistreat them - but I will defer to your extensive knowledge of working with rescue dogs, fighting rings, puppy mills and the like.

Randall, I'm not sure why you're baiting for a fight. I didn't say I know anything about people who have sled dogs who don't care for them. I've never been to Alaska. I live in WV. We don't have extensive knowledge of people who do not properly care for their sled dogs because we don't have sled dogs here. However, just as there are good breeders and bad breeders, you cannot tell me that you think that every dog sledder in Alaska takes wonderful care of their animals. If you do, you are living in a fantasy land.

I also did not say I must partake in the excursion. I was simply asking those who had done it before if it was something that would appeal to an animal lover, and honestly, I got my answer from many people that it is not. And seeing as I started this thread a long time ago, I made my choice several months ago to just avoid sled dog excursions. there are plenty of other excursions that my husband and I will enjoy.

Randall, I'm not sure why you're baiting for a fight. I didn't say I know anything about people who have sled dogs who don't care for them. I've never been to Alaska. I live in WV. We don't have extensive knowledge of people who do not properly care for their sled dogs because we don't have sled dogs here. However, just as there are good breeders and bad breeders, you cannot tell me that you think that every dog sledder in Alaska takes wonderful care of their animals. If you do, you are living in a fantasy land.

I also did not say I must partake in the excursion. I was simply asking those who had done it before if it was something that would appeal to an animal lover, and honestly, I got my answer from many people that it is not. And seeing as I started this thread a long time ago, I made my choice several months ago to just avoid sled dog excursions. there are plenty of other excursions that my husband and I will enjoy.

First - no one is "baiting" you into anything. If you do not want to partake in the Dog Sledding excursion - then by all means - don't do it. However, you started this post by asking about the "Moral question about dog sled tours". If you aren't willing to have people disagree with you, then why post it in the first place?

"Disagreement" is not "Fighting" - or didn't you know that?

To me - there is NO "moral" question here. I grew up on a farm. Working animals are working animals and "morals" never enters into the conversation. You take care of a working animal and they take care of you. It really IS just that simple.

Those boneheads that don't take care of their dogs (I'm sure) don't last very long in that profession.

Too bad, I haven't read the whole post, don't want to read the morality police judgement.

We volunteer at home and foster dogs, along with our own. We did the Skagway dog sledding excursion and the only drawback was my wife didn't have enough time to give every dog love. The dogs were very well kept and very friendly. The camp was clean and the puppies were adorable.